California may have legalized cannabis today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
U.S. Atty. Gen. Eric Holder had said the Obama administration would "vigorously enforce" federal drug laws against Californians who grow or sell marijuana for recreational use even if voters passed the legalization measure
I see what you did there.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Marijuana just has a horrible stigma associated with it. On the bright side, this did open up the debate and I'm sure it'll be put on the ballot again in 2012. Support for legalizing marijuana is only going to increase.

In other election news, the only senator to vote against the Patriot Act just got voted out of office. I want to feel mad, but I'm disappointed more than anything else.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I think to mourn this terrible loss we should all go to Sub's house and get high. I feel this will accomplish 2 very important goals. 1. We'll all get high, which is fun, or so I hear. And 2. I'll know where Sub lives, which is equally awesome.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A) I don't have any weed
B) Even if I did, I don't have anywhere safe to smoke it

A disapointing day all around. Oh, and

C) New York, Long Island, Farmingdale

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A) I don't have any weed
B) Even if I did, I don't have anywhere safe to smoke it

A disapointing day all around. Oh, and

C) New York, Long Island, Farmingdale

Once upon a time, I too lived in Farmingadale, NY. The company I work for in Cresco, PA, apparently comes from Farmingdale, NY as well. The factory was moved up here in the early sixties due to taxes increasing. It is a very small world.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hah, what are the odds. I have no idea what the neighborhood was like back then, could you shed some light? I think 100 years ago or so, it was all farmland and SUNY Farmingdale College was mainly an agricultural school.

G
You can sell and distribute it for outrageous prices as the CIA, though.
Damn it, this forum won't let me give you any more rep. Also, is it confirmed to have failed? Oh, bollocks! This is most down heartening. Except it isn't because it's still been a great help to the legalisation of cannabis movement and it'll doubtless pass in 2012, if we get the ballot through again.

Also, related: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/nov/01/alcohol-more-harmful-than-heroin-crack

David Nutt, famed drugs scientist/academic that was fired by the English government for saying that Cannabis was illegal for political reasons not scientific ones, released a paper claiming that Alcohol is more dangerous than Cocaine or Heroin.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's more dangerous because it's more used. Not because of the actual substance. You're way more likely to overdose on heroin or cocaine, as they're both good at building up tolerance - making it difficult to gauge how much to use for the rush you want. Alcohol in combination with other drugs is often a horrible mix, though. Cocaine + alcohol is basically Colombian roulette.

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
There will be a time when marijuana will be legal everywhere and the world will be a better place.

G
It's more dangerous because it's more used. Not because of the actual substance. You're way more likely to overdose on heroin or cocaine, as they're both good at building up tolerance - making it difficult to gauge how much to use for the rush you want. Alcohol in combination with other drugs is often a horrible mix, though. Cocaine + alcohol is basically Colombian roulette.
I agree on every point. The thing is though that cocaine and heroin still have horrible stigma, and alcohol doesn't. Even if they were to be legalised within some limit, most people wouldn't want them because they know about the effects. Alcohol on the other hand is so accepted in our culture and so many people consume it in ridiculous amounts that it's still going to kill far more even if Cocaine and Heroin were legal.
On the other hand, junkies will benefit because the cocaine/heroin being produced will be cleaner, more refined, less dangerous and most importantly we'll be able to legally research ways of changing the drugs affects, or finding chemicals much like nicotine patches that help addicts get off the drug(s).

Having said that, all the things we know about how to make Tobacco healthier haven't stopped the cigarette companies from producing them the way they do, using radioactive fertiliser and shipping them out the day they're ready- even though we know the use of this fertiliser increases cancer risks, and that if you leave tobacco to dry for long periods of time (Like pipe tobacco, usually aged in a warehouse for over a year) you can greatly reduce the amount of nicotine in the substance, making the tobacco far less addictive.
So then again, maybe we shouldn't allow companies that might manipulate the drugs' addictiveness to pedal heroin and coke. Aah these issues are so complicated

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pro tip: don't live in america.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe, but it's nowhere near as bad as politicians make it out to be. You know, the politicians that come after a long day of work and drink a glass or two of Scotch.

Alcohol is WAY more deadly and people consume that in ungodly amounts. There's no social stigma for drinking even though way more people lose their lives as a result of consuming alcohol.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pro tip: Don't smoke weed, it's bad, mmkay.
You're right. It's much healthier to ingest a solvent that makes your muscles and reflexes less responsive, as well as dulls your mind, yet gives you the confidence (and motivation!) to perform complicated tasks like driving and fighting.

G
I think this picture explains your point best:

Incidentally, ironically drunk while posting this

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know much about drugs but i don't think you can "pierce" you veins with cannabis( shots) lol. :)
You smoke it, right? But yeah...the alcohol truth pic is hilarious. :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know much about drugs but i don't think you can "pierce" you veins with cannabis( shots) lol. :)
You smoke it, right? But yeah...the alcohol truth pic is hilarious. :D
That was the point. It was a hyperbole used to illuminate people's position on the substance (it's illogical and erroneous in most cases).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom