California may have legalized cannabis today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So today was election day, and California voted on whether or not to legalize marijuana. It's too early to say right now whether or not prop 19 passed, but I really hope it did.

Any Californians here who voted for / against it?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is this actual legalization? I haven't been keeping up on this particular bit of news.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Taken from http://cbs13.com/local/proposition.19.marijuana.2.1988270.html

"its passage would mean that starting Wednesday adults could carry around up to an ounce of their own marijuana and related paraphernalia without fear of arrest by state and local authorities. They could also tend a home garden up to 25 square feet big and consume its fruits in a "nonpublic place," but not in parks, near schools or on the street.

Beyond that, the future gets hazier. The proposed law leaves it up to local governments to license businesses that want to allow onsite pot use by patrons, to authorize commercial cultivation and retail sales, and to reap revenue from the newly legalized drug through taxes and fees."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah so pretty much the same as we have over here. Well, good for you guys. Not a user myself but I don't see the harm in drugs like these.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah so pretty much the same as we have over here. Well, good for you guys. Not a user myself but I don't see the harm in drugs like these.
Good for Cali. Similar proposals would need to pass in the rest of the states for everyone to get the go ahead.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
If it passes, which I don't think it will, I'm moving to California. It's still federally illegal...which blows.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good for Cali. Similar proposals would need to pass in the rest of the states for everyone to get the go ahead.
Well, it's a step in the "right" direction. I don't see why it should be illegal. Maybe it's just my dirty liberal mind but I don't think it harms anyone.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, it's a step in the "right" direction. I don't see why it should be illegal. Maybe it's just my dirty liberal mind but I don't think it harms anyone.
Can't have a war on drugs if drugs are legal, man.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't tax them if they're illegal though.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well this hopefully gets a lot of people out of jail, and makes more room for the homicidal monkeys that sit in county.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Last I checked it was 56% no, but that was about an hour ago.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, it's looking like it didn't pass. I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Today is shaping up to be highly disappointing (specifically, the election results as of now).

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is no way that didn't pass in California... I'm gonna go Al Gore and demand a recount.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I think it should have passed. The laws that follow this are pretty good and fit.

I mean if cigarettes are legal then why not the other plant like it with less unhealthy problems.

Wiki said:
According to the State of California's Legislative Analyst's Office, the law will have the following effects.
Legalization of personal marijuana-related activities
Except as permitted under Proposition 215 and SB 420 laws, persons age 21 and older may:
possess up to 28.5 grams (1 oz) of marijuana for personal consumption.
use marijuana in:
a non-public place such as a residence
a public establishment licensed for on site marijuana consumption.
grow marijuana at a private residence in a space of up to 25 square feet (2.3 m2) for personal use.
Local government regulation of commercial production and sale
Local governments may:
Authorize the retail sale of up to 28.5 grams of marijuana per transaction to persons 21 and older.
Regulate the location, size, hours of operation, and signs and displays of the establishments authorized to make these sales.
Authorize larger amounts of marijuana for:
personal possession and cultivation, or
commercial cultivation, transportation and sale.
Other Permissions
Allows for the transportation of marijuana from a licensed premises in one city or county to a licensed premises in another city or county, without regard to local laws of intermediate localities to the contrary.
Allows the collection of taxes to allow local governments to raise revenue or to offset any costs associated with marijuana regulation.
Maintenance and addition of criminal and civil penalties
Maintains existing laws against selling drugs to a minor and driving under the influence.
Maintains an employer's right to address consumption of marijuana that affects an employee's job performance.
Maintains existing laws against interstate or international transportation of marijuana.
Every person 18 years of age or older who hires, employs, or uses a minor in transporting, carrying, selling, giving away marijuana, or knowingly sells or gives away marijuana to someone under the age of 14, shall be imprisoned in state prison for a period of three, five, or seven years.
Every person 18 years of age or older who knowingly sells or gives away marijuana to someone older than the age of 14 but younger than 18, shall be imprisoned in the state prison for a period of three, four, or five years.
Every person 21 years of age or older who knowingly sells or gives away marijuana to someone older than the age of 18 but younger than 21, shall be imprisoned in county jail for up to six months and fined up to $1,000 per offense.
Any person who is licensed, permitted, or authorized to sell marijuana, who knowingly sells or gives away marijuana to someone under the age of 21 results in them being banned from owning, operating, or being employed by a licensed marijuana establishment for one year.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is no way that didn't pass in California... I'm gonna go Al Gore and demand a recount.
Either people didn't vote or people are being turned away for "not having the appropriate documentation", which is complete bull****.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'm not surprised. While a lot of younger people want it legalized, I'm sure there are quite a few older people who don't want it legalized.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Either people didn't vote or people are being turned away for "not having the appropriate documentation", which is complete bull****.
They were too high to go vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom