Bye bye rock :'[

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PRIMOOOOOOO!!! DJ Premier :]
Stuff by Common,
Lupe Fiasco,
FabricLive 26 Mixed by The Herbaliser (not sure if this is available in the US),
Wu-Tang Clan's greatest hits,
Dilated People - Love & War, Back Again, Worst Comes To Worst, and their 20/20 Album,
most of the stuff listed by MC; it's old skool stuff, especially Souls of Mischief's "93 til Infinity". Eric B & Rakim, Outkast, Del tha Funky Homosapien/Deltron/Dan the Automator/Deltron 3030. To be honest, i don't even know where to begin.
Ignore Gogeta, that's all commercial **** and THE TYPICAL GANGSTA STUFF HE SAID NOT TO MENTION.
And Rihanna, Akon and Fergie are not hip-hop artists.
Guess the 5 songs i'd personally recommend are
Common - The 6th Sense
Pitch Black - It's All Real
Lupe Fiasco - Hurt Me Soul
Souls of Mischief - 93 til Infinity
The X-ecutioners - It's Going Down

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't go witht he common idea of another modern thing... How about this.

Blues. B.B. King, Etc etc etc.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ludacris's "Release Therapy" and NaS's "Hip Hop is Dead". There was this song by "Soul Position" that stated everything wrong with the current hip-hop community.

Lil Jon? Ugh...If you are looking for dance music, yeah that's dance music, but yeah stay away from the overly gangta stuff (by overly I mean a CD with over 5 songs about 'takin my AK out on dem *****es and drinkin wit my hoes').

I am stick to **** of that kind of rap. That **** needs to stay where it belongs: in the club. It makes rockers and other people think that all hip-hop is this ignorant, gangta'd up, cultural wasteland, and it makes us black people look terrible. I mean jesus how many ****ing times do I have hear some guy who's name sounds like a ****ing screename talk about how dangerous he is and how hard is life was and not do **** to better the ****ing community he allegedly came from.

Uh yeah, Ludacris, NaS, and Soul Position.

Best answers
Dr. Octagon...

His **** is a little wierd, but i like it. Try out the songs "3000", "No Awareness" or "Technical Difficulties". But really all of his songs are good. If you like DJ Shadow... then you might like Dr. Octagon.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Mac Dre
Canibus
Beastie Boys
Brotha Lynch Hung
e-40
Devin The Dude
Grandmaster Flash (1980s old school)
Immortal Technique
Mos Def
UGK
Bone Thugs 'n Harmony
Run DMC (more old school)
the grouch and eligh
young gunz

On a side note, if you really like old school, try listening to Common Sense's "I used to love HER." I obviously can't link you to it, but it is a famous classic old school song, so I think you know an easy, non-torrent way to get it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw soul position with RJD2 in des moines at one of their release parties. the kick ass

beastie boys are cool to listen to. cool music videos :/

old school michael jackson before he was having sex with children. and when he was black.

uh. red hot chili peppers have some nice music.

Dj shadow, the one that wrote organ donor, has some select stuff.

oh, and run dmc

Best answers
okay heres my two cents

when you say you listened to just rock and metal are you talking about modern stuff? or does that include older stuff too because old music is way different to new music and helps in giving you a break from the louder newer stuff. thats what i listen to when i need diversity (in fact i mostly listen to this stuff and i use modern rock and Metal as a way to take a break)

this is just listing out of my music library

Classic Rock: (very large genre includes Classic Rock, Glam Rock, Acoustic Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Hard Rock, Rock & Roll, Country Rock, Folk Rock, Classic Metal, Hair Metal and Blues rock)
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
The Beatles (best band of all time but not my favourite)
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
The Black Crowes
Black Sabbath
Bon Jovi
Boston
Cat Stevens
The Clash
Cream
Danzig
David Bowie
Deep Purple
Dio
Dokken
Europe
Frankie Goes to Hollywood (more classic techno then rock but still awesome)
Genesis
Guns N Roses (easily my favourite band at the moment)
Harry Chapin
Huey Lewis and The News
Iron Maiden
Jimi Hendrix
John Lennon
Judas Priest
KISS
Led Zeppelin
Meat Loaf
Metallica (im sure this will be on your bored list but meh)
Midnight Oil
Motley Crue
Nirvana
Paul Mcartney
Ozzy Osbourne
Pearl Jam
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd
The Police
The Proclaimers
Queen
R.E.M.
The Rolling Stones
Starship
Steppenwolf
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Van Halen
The Who

and also to reccomend a couple power metal bands

Hammerfall
Stratovarius

fantastic

im sure youv heard of/listened to most of these bands but i just felt like listing them anyway

Best answers
I am stick to **** of that kind of rap. That **** needs to stay where it belongs: in the club. It makes rockers and other people think that all hip-hop is this ignorant, gangta'd up, cultural wasteland, and it makes us black people look terrible. I mean jesus how many ****ing times do I have hear some guy who's name sounds like a ****ing screename talk about how dangerous he is and how hard is life was and not do **** to better the ****ing community he allegedly came from.
Agreed, the whole rags to riches schtick is the clich?d safety net that so many of these brain dead thugs cling to, and if that doesn't work it's the objectification of women.

But why do they get all the attention in mainstream media?, there are plenty of talented artists out there, yet instead we get treated to people like 50 Cent who's work has the lyrical sophistication of the menu above the Mcdonald's counter.

It's artists like him that convince the rest of the world that rap/hip hop music is the creative equivalent of a carjacker with a thesaurus.

Every time someone talented proves this wrong, the homogenized artists owned by the record companies crowd the market with a lovely steaming pile of generic filth.

Man I love the music industry.

As for my personal tastes, I'm more of a rock/old school punk kind of guy.

Stiff little fingers, The Clash, The Sex Pistols.

You get the Idea.

Best answers
EDIT: Playlist made, so far anyways.

Only a 13 song playlist atm, but tell me if you like it and I'll get some more on there. (I'd have added a LOT of Outkast in there, but 90 percent of it turns out to be 30 second samples :\)

http://profile.imeem.com/gTs9GB/playlist/jHu91rxM/

You might need to register to listen to it, it's a 30 second thing...just do it. Imeem is honestly the best streaming website I've found, I use it to listen to music 24/7.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dr Octagon indeed :p
Saw this song on MTV before christmas, was love at first sight.
Dr. Octagon - Trees
thought it was amazing :D

And well said Chakra-X
Artists now make what will sell to the mass, that's why there's people like Three 6 Mafia, G-Unit, Lil Wayne, Lil Romeo, Lil Whyte, Lil Scrappy, all the other Lil people out there, Young Joc, Young Jeezy, all the other Young somethings out there, Juelz Santana producing songs about staying fly, and shaking your laffy taffy, etc etc. Hip-Hop has gone to **** sadly :( And we have the fans to blame for that.
Don't really listen to much new stuff anymore, I'm a slave for musical hip-hop such as Lupe Fiasco and some stuff by MOP (i love their energy), and likewise with Jedi Mind Tricks.
Listening to old skool hip-hop a lot, still got "O.P.P." and even Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks" on my playlists, and don't get me started on Run DMC and Grandmaster Flash (and the Furious Five) :p

If you americans think you have it bad with the commercial stuff produced over there, you should hear UK Hip-Hop T_T Most of it is so painful to listen to, with all the "brap brap" and talking about shooting someone, it degenerates Hip-Hop and Rap to the point of no return.
Funny thing is, emos over here have started listening to it, and there's now an emo rock band called "Hadouken!" mixing grime and rock. Heard this one track by them on MTV called "That boy, that girl", sounded somewhat nice.

Anyways, "The 6th Sense" by Common, backing music by DJ Premier - http://youtube.com/watch?v=kMP__WRvv1Y

"Nas Is Like" by Nas, again, backing melody by Primo - http://youtube.com/watch?v=8rBTJ-P6LHU

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All this talk about Dr. Octagon...

You ought to listen this original avatar.

KOOL KEITH - LIVIN' ASTRO

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Listen to some technical death metal...you will never get bored with that

Death and Necrophagist

Best answers
cant go wrong w/ three 6 mafia

anything basically in the Tx Huston scene,
Dj screw

most things in the dirty south are good

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Listen to some technical death metal...you will never get bored with that

Death and Necrophagist
I'm living proof you can get bored of it. Death is great and all, but usually only in smaller doses.

Except Crystal Mountain. That song ****ing pwns.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone.. and I mean ANYONE.. who gets bored of Tool deserves to listen to hip hop. You big, silly nubcake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom