AUP Signature Size Limit: Public Poll

How should we alter the signature size limit?

• Decrease the size, 600K is way too much! [Please post an amount that should be used.]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's fine as it is.

• 600Kb? Naw, I want even more! Increase the size limit! [Please post an amount that should be used.]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As of now, 23rd October 2003 - the Acceptable Usage Policy permits a maximum signature size of 600Kb. This has been considered as way too much by a lot of users, as common signature sizes run from 30Kb to maximum 150 Kb... and I won't even talk about what comments have been received from some 56K users. :/

On the other hand, there are a few forum members who use animated and flash related signatures for which even something as massive as 600Kb isn't enough.

The forum staff have been discussing this issue and the time has come for the users to decide for themselves. So here is a poll to let you people vote on. You can also offer any comments that you might have on this idea - but remember to respect other people's rights to having their own free judgements on this issue.

Let the votings begin! =]

*Edit*

I voted for the first option, that is - decrease the size limit. I think somewhere around 300Kb would be a very generous allowance.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
150k - 200k I say...

Remember us poor 56kers!!

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even if the forum votes for larger limits, the host of ESF might deny that request. Please keep that in mind as you vote.

I personally vote for a smaller limit, 600kb is already rediculously large . . . It's time people learned about pallet optimization . . .

When the administrative staff voted to set down firm signature rules, I originally voted for 300kb. I will stand by that number once again, anything else is not neccessary on a message board.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1 MEGABYTE FOR US CABLE/BROADBAND USERS

w00t GOOOO HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!!

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lower it to atleast 200kb twice what I origionally set out

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
disabling gifs would be enough, wouldn't it ??? ;) I don't think any 600*200 jpg is more then 200kB ...

so I say 250-300 max

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Half it to 300k. Also, reduce the sixe to 500 x 150.

Best answers
Here's a tip get dsl cuz 56kers are dieing out now any way.

But for people who use 56k if they dont want to wait to see a sig then dont bother waiting simple. So i say leave it as it is.

Naz

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-I don't mind the current size much myself. But a thing to consider, this is a public forum, and for 56k 600kb is a lot. It might also be a problem for low ram users. I would also suggest lowering the height size limit.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh yes people with 56k can just pull the necesary money off their money trees that they grow in their money forest

Think abit

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
its fine the way it is now, but the forum do need to considirate on the 56k...
I'd say something acceptable like 400K its <b><big>about</big></b> avarage
and its fine for animations too
its also lil bit less then 600K...

but I thought of something that would be very nice for all
and also probably undoable though I heard it was used in other forumz, no knowbs where ....
a script to stop animations such as gif on 56Kers
so only first frame is show - this thing will be for them to deside if they approove it

I dunno where to get that script lol
its just my imaginary world, ignore me

Best answers
groov forced me into voting here... -___-

i vote decrease, 600k is ridiculously large just for signatures ;\

Retired
Best answers
I know a forum that has a sig limit of 13kb, and still some nice sigs are coming out of that. so I think decreasing it towards 50k-100k sig limit is plenty. generating my sig into maximum quality (12), still just gives around 50-60kb..I have no idea why people need 600k.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majority of the people who want 600kb or more, are jerks who think we need to load and run 50 copies of the matrix trailer in threads they post in.

On a related note, 60% of the world is still on dial up and it's likley to remain majority dial up for another 10 years. Broadband users are the most inconsiderate *******s to ever grace the net . . . I've heard rediculous theories on how 56k slows the net down. Please, if you don't know what your talking about, shut the hell up.

The size is fine as is, as Judge pointed out, at max quality witihin that size, you cannot exceed the limit unless you want to show us a movie . . . :S

Bolteh2

B
ehm.. well thats the point of this whole poll.. do we want ppl to show us matrix reloaded dvd with extras in a gif file??? i dont think so.. gif is just too big (animated that is) to have it on forums.. and most ppl who make animated sigs have 0.1% knowledge of good compression etc to have a nice gif that loads fast and that doesnt ag for low ram users...

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I accidentl voted for it being fine, I'd rather it lower tho. I don't mind it at 600 KB, but jesus christ and bananas, anything between 100-200 is fine. Hell even 300, why 600 anyways? If you want it Cuc and it is less of a ***** to hosts why can't you just make them have it at 300 liek you want?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because contrary to popular belief, I am not the last word on this forum. I am willing to hear the people out, as are the other people who make decisions for this board.

Best answers
Do wat ever i dont mind but wats the problem any way cuz if your on 56k u dont have to wait to see some1 sig if ya dont want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom