ATI Radeon Cards

Best answers
Hey everyone, well i finally read the fps thingy thread that gr00vy posted and here is a answer to some ATI radeon users that have a wicked video card and have around 30fps. probably type in console fps_max 100. Or cause u have a crappy computer that cant handle it. But if you have a good computer and u have problems read this. Not sure if it would help on esf it might i dont know cause i have nivida video card. It was for Cs but i think it would work for esf.

ATI cards do have a known issue. There is a little tweak that will help out a tremendous amounts which doesn't work with everyone. Go into your video card control panel, and click on Open GL, and then click on the compatibility settings for Open GL. Next, you just select to have triple buffering enabled. After this, you just restart your computer for the change to take affect and kaboom, your framerates will be improved.

Tell me if this worse for esf you ATI Radeon users.

For any newbies out there, the way to get to these settings is as follows:
Right click on desktop and go to properties.
Click the settings tab and then click on advanced.
Click on the 3D tab and then click on Open GL
Next, click on Compatibility and then enable triple buffering
Now click apply, and then click okay, and now restart.

I hope this helps everyone on their quest for better framerates :laff:

PS. My stupid 128 mb Nivida card is worse then my brothers 64 mb video card and i have a better computer then him in every way. Sigh stupid fps tweaks not working fo me :cry:

Best answers
well i dont have triple buffering option bu i have a radeon 9600XT if u know what to do for that...

Best answers
Well there should be... Maybe u just cant find it or its hidden somwhere, OR its writen in something you cant understand. If its Radeon 9600Xt there should be. Well if im not mistakedn Radeon 9600Xt is same as Radeon pro right? Wrong?

128 mb right?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go into 3d and click on OpenGL, then click on "Compatibility...", click on Enable under Tripple Buffering.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I get 100 FPS in ESF anyway, but I tried enabling this option before and after,

and I ran "AquaMark03" the benchmarking test program.

My score was exactly the same before and after. I don't think this is a 'Miracle Option,' and it's probably disabled for a reason.

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
I get 100 FPS in ESF anyway, but I tried enabling this option before and after,

and I ran "AquaMark03" the benchmarking test program.

My score was exactly the same before and after. I don't think this is a 'Miracle Option,' and it's probably disabled for a reason.

ummm yes there is no diffrence because your already at 100 fps...

I have heard people getting 120 fps and seen it too but meh! maybe... if u put it to fps_max 150... man im starting to think and ponder again... this is bad... i cant sleep!!!

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you just hear me?

Read what I said.

There was no difference in the AquaMark03 tests.

The tests have nothing to do with ESF.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Triple Buffering

Increasing the number of buffers that can hold a primary surface increases display performance. It is preferable to have at least three flippable surfaces (some games use five or more). When there are only two surfaces and a page flip occurs, the display delays until the monitor's vertical retrace is finished. The delay is necessary to ensure that the back buffer is not written on before it is finished being displayed. With triple buffering, the third surface is always writable because it is a back buffer and available to draw on immediately (as shown in the following figure). In a game that does not use sprite memory, 3D rendering using triple buffering is 20 to 30 percent faster than double buffering.

It will help in some cases.

Best answers
i see... aquamark03... benchmark tests... well anyways it does work dont have to belive me... just trying to help some of those pissed of fps low users

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I've got plenty of memory, and this didn't speed up the processing a bit. I don't see where you think this vastly improves anything. I just tried 3DMark03, and the score didn't change even by 20 either way.

Edit: I have VSync always turned off, in order to gain maximum FPS in everything. Perhaps this is why it didn't effect me at all.

In most cases you have to turn VSync off to get 100 FPS in ESF anyway..

Best answers
probably im not that smart in computers, i just know some stuff. Stop trying to prove me wrong! sniff... T_T :cry: i tried it on my friends house it worked so it should work... depends on your pc probably

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vsync has little to do with Half-Life..

To enable it or disable it on Radeon cards, you go to ATI Display Settings, 3D Tab, customize the options or set them to High Performance to turn off VSync

And all the way up to Quality to turn it on.

Best answers
Heh for nivida u go to settings, advanced, click on the nivida icon, preformance and quality, then u can turn VSync on and off... it should be.

*off topic* im staying on the forums cause im bored. and dont wanna go to sleep. Oh yea one more thing before i leave, Smith u have a wicked amazing avatar man... WOW!!! Peter Griffin sucking on his... wow... tell me where u got it!

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, Vsynch prevents the card from writing more frames to RAMDAC than it can handle. If it writes to much faster than your refresh rate, you will get a nasty visual artifact called shearing or tearing.

Basically multiple frames get to your monitor at once, and are drawn in on top of one another, with the wrong frames being used to end the drawn frame.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Vsync has little to do with Half-Life..

To enable it or disable it on Radeon cards, you go to ATI Display Settings, 3D Tab, customize the options or set them to High Performance to turn off VSync

And all the way up to Quality to turn it on.
...or you can click custom and set it yourself.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you not hear me?

You said "or you can click custom and set it yourself."

What was the first thing I said, Smith?

"To enable it or disable it on Radeon cards, you go to ATI Display Settings, 3D Tab, customize the options OR"

Please read it before you post nonsensical, irrelevant spam.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Strange, my eyes totally ignored that part.

Sorry.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry I went off on you, I just was in a semi-bad mood and you criticized me for not saying something I did say.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vsync = Good for ESF, but only if your comp can handle it. If Vsync gives you less than 40 or 50 steady FPS don't use it, and if you aren't using it don't use tripple buffering.

Best answers
thanks to smith i got the tripple buffer thing enabled and it does help with esf it took me from 75 fps to 100 so just thought i would confirm it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom