Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Brotherhood was 2, plus upgrades/improvements to the system. AC2 had a better story line, but the technical improvements made a big difference to me.

I bought 3 awhile ago and still haven't played it. I'll get around to it soon, though.

Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Brotherhood was 2, plus upgrades/improvements to the system. AC2 had a better story line, but the technical improvements made a big difference to me.

I bought 3 awhile ago and still haven't played it. I'll get around to it soon, though.
^that

Remember that little base building part in AC2? Well, you're now upgrading the whole of Rome.
Remember the hand glider mission? You get to pilot one that drops incendiary bombs. Plus other Da Vinci inventions, like the fireball shooting gondola, the wagon mounted cannon and the wooden tank.
Remember when you fell to your death in AC2? Now you get parachutes.
And the list can go on.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
I don't know about varied. I would say that's the series's biggest crime. They get away with changing very little because one comes out every year.
Changing a little? Every game they dish out a whole new era to play in. You have to think about all the research they have to do to make changes accordinly and how to integrate the characters into history from Assassins Creed point of view. Also in every game the environment roamed by the player and the way in which he does it changed quite drastically. They integrated dozens of minigames in each game as well.

Also I think Brotherhood was possibly the worst in the series. Sure the new gameplay features and mechanics were good, but the story was bad and felt like filler. I think for me AC2/ACR were the best, followed by AC1 then AC3 and ACB. I really took a liking to Ezio. One of the "realest" characters I've encountered in a game.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Changing a little? Every game they dish out a whole new era to play in. You have to think about all the research they have to do to make changes accordinly and how to integrate the characters into history from Assassins Creed point of view. Also in every game the environment roamed by the player and the way in which he does it changed quite drastically.

Also I think Brotherhood was possibly the worst in the series. Sure the new gameplay features and mechanics were good, but the story was bad and felt like filler. I think for me AC2/ACR were the best, followed by AC1 then AC3 and ACB. I really took a liking to Ezio. One of the "realest" characters I've encountered in a game.
That's well and good but we don't play video games for the historical accuracy. We play it to kill shit and, in that regard, it's been the same since 2. I actually haven't gotten to play brotherhood yet, though I'm always told that I'm a retard for not doing so.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations weren't separated by dramatic changes, which is why they stuck with the AC2 label instead of moving onto 3 (and why some people feel calling the new one AC4 seems a little untimely). While the various locales have changed, it seems like buildings are also getting smaller with every iteration. To me, at least, the story seems lost in that we're trying to stop an event that has already occurred in real time (20121221), prophesied by aliens who were clearly the inspiration for the gods of old. But not much is being done with that aspect of it all, I feel, and we're instead getting lost in the stream of time, jumping from one character to the next while they forcefully insert something, anything, to make it relevant to the overarching story.

I kinda missed the AC bus, as it were, due to my complete and utter dislike of the first one, so I've always played the others without really connecting to them, and far later than everyone else. They aren't bad games, but they aren't great games, either. And then I'll read posts comparing its combat system to Arkham City's and I lose my shit because while the latter is almost perfect, the former is boring, and doesn't even make sense in the context of being an assassin. But whatever. That's just me.

Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
My list is

1. AC1/Revelations

AC1 was so simple and yet entertaining, you had to be quite ... unlucky to die in that game. The massacre of 500 guards simultaneously was just amusing. After playing this game over and over again it took long before I got tired.

Revelations, if you ignore the sidemissions the story line is beyond epic.

2. AC 2: Brotherhood
The invention of that "kill several enemies after killing 1" thing was just epic, this is the game where you moved on from having to be defensive to actually show some offense for once.

3. AC 3 (A bit tied with brotherhood but I prefer brotherhood)

Was pretty good I'd say but didn't add that much other than tree-climbing, story was entertaining and all although it has several plot holes I'd say..

4. AC2

Worst one ever imo, the gameplay was boring and the game was a bit meh, I still liked it but compared to the rest. At least they introduced a pretty epic character (Ezio :D)

I hated when they invented territory, was so annoying. Stuff like that was just unneeded, ship battles were meh as well.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That's my problem with the AC series in general. Besides being easy, why am I killing a shit ton of guards throughout the city? I'm supposed to be an assassin. It's a little difficult to remain anonymous when I'm wearing flamboyant clothing, posters with my face can be found on every street corner (and on rooftops, wtf?), and I'm executing HVTs and an entire cadre of elite guards. This is where games like Deus Ex and Dishonored shine, because while you certainly can go on the warpath, being a shadow warrior works just as well and feels even more rewarding. And now we're about to have a pirate assassin wielding 4 guns a sword, a knife and a hidden blade? What the shit?

Anyway, I'm going to give the games a replay, in chronological order, to get a better sense of the story (and ultimately play 3). I think I'm going to skip 1 again, though, because its one of only a handful of games that I absolutely can't stand.

Sidenote: What ship battles were there in 2? Is it just the "sneak aboard, kill the HVT, and egress" missions?

Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Sidenote: What ship battles were there in 2? Is it just the "sneak aboard, kill the HVT, and egress" missions?
I know that's not enough but I made a space as in, I was done commenting number 2 and added a general opinion over it. My bad :p

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
That's my problem with the AC series in general. Besides being easy, why am I killing a shit ton of guards throughout the city? I'm supposed to be an assassin. It's a little difficult to remain anonymous when I'm wearing flamboyant clothing, posters with my face can be found on every street corner (and on rooftops, wtf?), and I'm executing HVTs and an entire cadre of elite guards. This is where games like Deus Ex and Dishonored shine, because while you certainly can go on the warpath, being a shadow warrior works just as well and feels even more rewarding. And now we're about to have a pirate assassin wielding 4 guns a sword, a knife and a hidden blade? What the shit?
When you put it that way you really have to laugh at Assassins Creed lol. Either the title is failing the games or the games are failing the title xD.

And now we're about to have a pirate assassin wielding 4 guns a sword, a knife and a hidden blade? What the shit?
Oh and I think he is actually dual wielding swords too lol. So he would be like a walking army with all those weapons. Could change the name to Mercenaries Creed? I think that would be a much more appropriate name for the whole series actually!

Last edited:
Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;rhet4KcJT74]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhet4KcJT74[/video]

New gameplay trailer.

I think I might preorder this one. Let's hope they deliver.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
An assasins creed game based round the sailing part with trading and all that pirate jazz thrown in to the mix.

From these trailers IM SOLD :

ANBU
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That looks extremely good. I'm really curios to see how the final product will look like.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
If they deliver on the sailing part, then i couldnt care less for the assassin part ^^

Im a fan of the sea dogs franchise all the way up to age of pirates. And quite frankly the melee combat in those sucks a lot :(

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
If they deliver on the sailing part, then i couldnt care less for the assassin part ^^

Im a fan of the sea dogs franchise all the way up to age of pirates. And quite frankly the melee combat in those sucks a lot :(
+1. Age of Pirates was great! I also recommend Swashbucklers: Blue vs. Grey. The graphics were more cartoony but it was a great game :).

Last edited:
Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Game pack preview:

Special Edition

Skull Edition

Black Chest Edition

I might go for the Black Chest Edition if it's not stupidly expensive.

Last edited:
ANBU
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The black chest edition has the same pic like the skull edition(which already sounds pretty good to me btw).

Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
ANBU
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well now i see the difference. The last one is definitely for hardcore pirate fans. But it looks very good.

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube_share;SR6rAcbUjew]http://youtu.be/SR6rAcbUjew[/video]

ANBU
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Man this pirate themed game makes me feel like a kid again. I'm more excited than i was for AC3 that's for sure. Let's hope it won't be a let down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom