Anyone want destructable buildings

Best answers
Wow now that is a coincidence :|. Seriously if I didn't know any better I'd say you'd somehow stolen my idea :p. But I actually made almost the same effect a long time ago, I've just uploaded it to youtube :S it's the first and last time I'll be bothering with that... That... Stupid site... So much hassle :S

Anyway, here's the link to the incredibly poorly done video :D Normally I would have just uploaded it to my site but there isn't any real need... Unless someone wants the slightly better quality version than the youtube one :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOYjmT0rIgs

See how long it takes you to notice what I've just noticed...

But I think that having the rubble rise with the building going down instead of just magically appearing makes it look better, feel free to steal my effect though, I'll even give you the source file so you can see how it's done if you want :p it isn't much use to me at the moment...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol

Nice. You camuflaged the destructable entity with the whole building ^^

But dosent that cause some rspeed loss?

In any case if you downloaded the testmap youd see i made the rubble raise from the ground up aswell :p

But i am interested where you got that rubble texture ^^

Well actualy i was suprised that id be the only person to think of this.

So you kinda proved me right. ^^

Its to simple to be overlooked :p

BTW did you use dors or a train?

Also how come you didnt step forward with this earlier?

Oh yea and sorry i had no idea someone already made something like this.

Best answers
Grega said:
lol

Nice. You camuflaged the destructable entity with the whole building ^^
What do you mean by that? The rubble rises from the ground and the building goes down below the ground :p

EDITTED: I've just realised what you mean, yeah I have covered the building with the breakable :D, the breakable is actually invisible and only just outside of the building so that it can be hit.

Grega said:
But dosent that cause some rspeed loss?
No it doesn't, only as much as a pair of buttons in half-life... Big buttons that is :D

Grega said:
In any case if you downloaded the testmap youd see i made the rubble raise from the ground up aswell :p

But i am interested where you got that rubble texture ^^
The rubble texture is a standard half-life one, just include the standard half-life wad and you can use it in esf without any problems(well, besides the extra memory).

Grega said:
Well actualy i was suprised that id be the only person to think of this.

So you kinda proved me right. ^^

Its to simple to be overlooked :p

BTW did you use dors or a train?
I used doors, the ESF FDG doesn't come with func_train added and I wasn't sure if it was actually taken out of the code or not so I didn't bother adding it, if it's still in the code then it'd be a very useful entity to have, I could do much better effects with a func_train :D.

Grega said:
Also how come you didnt step forward with this earlier?
I have loads of little test maps with things I've tried, I only showed this one because I saw that we'd done basically the same thing lol, I was just trying to give some input and I've only mentioned it now because I only saw the post yesterday, I don't come to the forums often enough.

Grega said:
Oh yea and sorry i had no idea someone already made something like this.
There's nothing to be sorry about, great minds think alike ;) and you couldn't have known I'd tried similar things because I'd never mentioned it before, if you want my .rmf to see if you can improve or use anything I've used then I'll send you it if you want.

Oh and finally, the thing I noticed in my video is that there is actually more rubble at the end than there was building o_O .

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats easily fixable ^^

But yea id like to talk to you.

If you have MSN or AIM add me. You can find the AIM name and the MSN mail in my profile ;)

Best answers
yeah that would be awesome with some sprites in it xD.
ELEVATOR!! >_< xD:shocked:

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK i know the mods are gona kill me for this ^^

But i decided to post a little update with this thing.

I kinda forgot about it for a (LOOOOONG) while. Well recently i remembered it and made a small update.

Some details are still needed but oh well. Soon ill be able to throw these babys into an actual map :p

I put some sprites in. Now i need to make the whole building react to the detonation not just the bottom and add a good sound to it. Other than that it gas a green light for using :p

And maybe ill put in so that the floor shakes when a building is collapsing. So if you are standing on the flor your view will kinda shake a bit to give it that destruction feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws53arK6j7w

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I kinda forgot about it for a (LOOOOONG) while. Well recently i remembered it and made a small update.

Some details are still needed but oh well. Soon ill be able to throw these babys into an actual map :p

I put some sprites in. Now i need to make the whole building react to the detonation not just the bottom and add a good sound to it. Other than that it gas a green light for using :p

And maybe ill put in so that the floor shakes when a building is collapsing. So if you are standing on the flor your view will kinda shake a bit to give it that destruction feeling.

With the building that falls over, when it hits the ground, you should have dust sprites appear around it. With the building that collapses, you should have dust sprites engulf the bottom of it until the sequence is finished.

Best answers
Very nice! But yeah, it needs sprites to give it a tad bit more "realistic" touch. :p

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hope you can get a map whit disctractobal objects

Best answers
Hmmm... can you make the buildings take damage if a player is slammed against it? (thrown/blown into it).

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmm... can you make the buildings take damage if a player is slammed against it? (thrown/blown into it).
Sadly i can't.

That would have to be coded into ESF.

BTW due to some PC problems this is getting put on hold :s

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Awesome, man. Now, what about my forest? :( It would be cool if you could do that to trees. PLZ!!!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*Grega uses necromancy spell: EPIC REVIVAL!!!*

A little update on this XD The effects were dropped but i made the buildings different. The buildings now have different destruction areas. They will only colapse once all areas are destroyed.

Though i can make this go a different way to and make the building literaly fall to pieces now XD

First test on this system in 2 years FTW

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4w4bb7t674[/ame]

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you apply this to esf_city... and have only the statue of Hercule/Mr. Satan possibly standing at the end... you've made a cult-classic map, IMO.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Hercule's Statue MUST be breakable. Some people don't understand that, but it's a MUST. You hear me? MUST! That would make the map like 1/3 funnier! The method of the second building's (in the video Grega provided) would be fine in this case.

It would be like a race. The first one to join the game after mapchange is lucky to first reach the Statue (if he's near enough) AND ****ING BLOW IT UP!

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Hercule's Statue MUST be breakable. Some people don't understand that, but it's a MUST. You hear me? MUST! That would make the map like 1/3 funnier! The method of the second building's (in the video Grega provided) would be fine in this case.

It would be like a race. The first one to join the game after mapchange is lucky to first reach the Statue (if he's near enough) AND ****ING BLOW IT UP!
I agree, but at the same time, it's be funnier if you couldn't....

I mean, cause he's Hercule, invincible and all?:D

Best answers
Ummm, you shouldn't make it go sink in the ground... better fall on it... and stay that way and
that you can actually collide with it... :D if it's possible... That would be Way cool.

EDIT: Maybe make a parody for hercule, like when you hit him, he's in his underpants or something...
or in a bra xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom