A little help with character design?

Best answers
MC I definately take note of that... From now on I'll thats the first thing I'll do before anything... but something is seriously wrong with my computer... anybody got suggestions on a new computer?

J-Dude I'm gonna have to also agree with over one that the character just doesn't look very good.... To me the hair isn't good because it just isn't the typical dbz hair.... Most dbz characters have long spikey hair or they're bald... Also you should try and give him different clothes... You say that your story line takes place "hundreds of years after the original coming of the Saiyans." After hundreds of years they still have the same clothing style? Also all the dbz characters that fight have those wrist band things....

Shady thanks for the link... i'll get to reading and practicing... and what where the peds in dbz? "he doesn look strong/cool at all =/" Do you mean does look or doesn't look... If you mean doesn't im gonna have to agree with ya on that one...

Best answers
I think he meant pedestrians by peds, i'm not sure though.

The drawing doesn't really look cool but thats my opinion. He could still be a fighter though. Krillin didn't look cool but he still fought, even though he was always usless he still fought and got his ass whipped.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I thought I'd go for something a little unconventional. Its in this way that he's unique from other characters (his hair I mean). Its supposed to help show that many dominant Saiyan traits (like the spiky black hair) have receded to being more of a 50/50 chance. This is a human feature. But don't be fooled, that's just the way he does his hair. Its actually got some thickness and length to it, but its combed flat. When he goes Super Saiyan, you see its actually a couple inches tall.

The style is actually more for J-Dude. During the first episode of the story, since the battle in which they first fight is where they first "meet", neither of them have a chance for changing appearance. When they seperate, J-Dude appears with those clothes. They're plain, just something to clothe his body.

In later episodes, they change their style. J-Dude eventually lets his hair stick up more and eventually let's its get a bit longer, though not to where its falling over his face and head.

Max will eventually try and sleek it in opposite of its normal direction fo growth towards the back of his head, spiking it where he can.

In the story, Max is first killed, leaving nothing but an arm which orbits through space. Three years later, a science space station called the Perseverance then picks it up on accident, and so very intruiged by its odd properties and absurd cellular energy capacity, use a rapid cellular regrowth machine to rebuild the rest of the body for study. Reawakened, and rather irritated by being poked and prodded by a bunch of lab-coated fools, he destroys the station, usning a ship docked with it to take to the heavens and pursue his unfinished dream of Universal domination.

After Max's death, the Dragonballs were used to cause people to forget J-Dude and Max's very existence, and so J-Dude returned to work at the police force. His casual clothes are much different at this point.

But yes, the style in the story is not much different from the styles of today. Trends tend to become cyclical, and so with the almost instant ability to communicate ad advertise, the culture doesn't really change much. Things remain as they were because the society is used to the status quo, and the media perpetuates things as such. There are SOME technical advances, but needless to say, there aren't floating houses or hoverboards.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
peds = pedestrians
he doesn't look cool, like kasey refered to krillin..
He just looks like on of those 1000 characters who were watching the cell games via that big screen tv in the city.. yknow like a normal dude who is just a bit muscular.. if you want him to look cool give him identical stuff.. first off change the hair, and than the outfit.. though it's your design J-Dude =/
ah well just a piece of my mind there

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's supposed to look like just some guy. That's what he was. He wasn't raised in the woods, or born to superhero parents. That's part of his self. Thats how he begins, an average Joe, but as the story goes on, he changes, and by the end of the whole thing, looks very much the part of a hero.

His normal form will always have a sort of benign-ness to it, but when he goes Super Saiyan...kiss average Joe goodbye. His hair looks very cool in the SS forms, and the transformations alter his personality very much. He goes from benign to fiery. This story is basically about someone entirely from the background rising to an unusual occasion and eventually becoming and looking like the people we identify as heroes.

Best answers
I was a little bored earlier so I tried drawing your character myself...hope you don't mind.

I woulda finished the legs but I was running out of room at the bottom so I just stopped.

Best answers
why dont you show everybody his super saiyan heir =/

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I've been trying to model the head using those refs. I started with a plane and tried to stay low poly. Probably going to make the eyes a seperate object/s in the end so I don't have to worry about tricky UVW methods. I like to colorize as I go, so I have the eyes and eyebrows with different materials. These are screenshots, not renders. Whatcha think?

Any crits are welcome!

@Slasherman: Hey, that's neat! And of course you can draw him, I don't own copyright or anything, lol. One question, whats with the bandages on his hands?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm.. to me, it looks like there's not enough polygons. Add some more around the cheek / forehead areas.

Somethink like this. Use it as a general reference.

Best answers
I noticed you had a five sided poly... so here and update of bapplebo guide line...if you follow bapplebo guide it'll come out much smoother and more detailed...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive read exactlly everypost in this thread, this guy seems real interesting, keep posting, what a nice concept

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks! I've made the changes you suggested and here's what it looks like.

and here's a bottom view to give you a better idea of the current shape.

Any crits appreciated

Best answers
make it less pointy..and the vertex near eye is sticking out far to much and i can see a few 5 sided pollys that need to be cut and sorted out.

Best answers
Here see if this makes it better....
Move the red line to the green line and add in the blue line...

Best answers
I just did a very quick draw over as well didnt add the part taht JTV added but did some other rhing's hope it helps sorry i did it fast as well in paint ;)

Red = Weld
Green = Cut
Blue = Move

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay! Again, thnx for the help! I made all the adjustments you both spoke of as closely as I could comprehend. It does indeed seem more defined and orderly. Here's a screen. I wanted to wait for your guys' say-so before I begin on things like the mouth. I adjusted the nose and part of the forehead to more closely match the bitmap. With the darn pixelated look it gives you with refs in the viewport you have to edit, render, edit, render till you get it right.

Best answers
JTVEclipse12 said:
Is it just me or does one side of the face look different than the other?
Nah, they're the same. I thin the picture near model confuses you.:]

Best answers
They're the same, but the polys have been moved around differently. If you want to edit the model you should split it in half and duplicate it as a reference so that any changes you make to one side can be seen on the otehr as well so you'll get a beter idea of what your getting.

Best answers
Looking alot better mate! :) u still got to work no nose! ^^ hehe gl with it. and since your model's face look's alot like goku look at how i done my goku head. and try and do somthing simular. Because atm your vertex's arnt spread out that well. and the jaw isnt right either. (btw ignore the neck on this model and ears :))

also another fast draw over.

And dont try and model both side's manualy :x.. use the symmetry modifer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom