1.2 option for melee

Best answers
Kinda agree..
Even though i am fairly good at it, i still say it sucks.. too lil' options.. it gets boring VERY fast..
Dunno how 1.2 melee will be though.. still in doubt..
Just have to keep waiting a lil' longer..

Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
In other words when melee ends something happens to prevent spectators from remaining right next to you after you swat your opponent away. My problem would have more to do with opponents getting me into advanced melee at all, particularly much weaker opponents. If somebody is 1/4th my power level but fast and continually pulls me into advanced melee whenever he hits me it is a waste of time for me.

What happens to your opponent if you just let all twelve autopunches swat him without initiating advanced melee or a throw? Does it knock him away where he can just swoop back at you or what?

Well, as it is right now, after a combo breaks, a kind of blast happens that pushes anyone in the immediate area away. The radius is big enough to evade someone, so I don't think the gang up thing would be too much of a problem.

If anyone pulls you into advanced melee, you have the option to not bother returning a combo, thus shortening it considerably. I don't see why anyone would be annoyed with it because if they didn't like it that much, they wouldn't get hit by someone. That's like someone saying, "It'd be a waste of time for me to get by someone with 1/4th my power level" in 1.1; if you get hit it's on you, not someone's PL. If getting hit's a waste of your time, don't get hit, heh. The game moves along enough to where it doesn't feel like a drag, though, so I don't think that should really be worried about. That's my opinion.

If someone rides out the twelve prepunches, you both blow back away from each other like the ends of combo's, same radius thing happening.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, Halorin and I have basically always agreed and done the same kind of things with the 1.1 melee, so if he says it'll be good I'll trust him on that.

...and I like my soapbox.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hibiki said:
lets face it people

1.1 melee SUCKS

plain and simple its boring its dull its repeditive

anyone who crys because something as dull as that was replaced with a better, cooler, funner, more indepth, action packed system doesnt deserve to play

Yeah, tetris is dull and repetative but look how popular it used to be. I assure you people still play it to this day. Hell, Sonic and Mario are repetative and get dull the 50th time around but people still play them too. Wrong analogy.

Best answers
Relax and let's try to keep this on topic, fellas. Two moderators, of all people, shouldn't be getting into any kind of argument or opinion imposing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think he means it sucks because it is repetitive and gets old quick.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Melee is not done, WIP. Somethings have been put in as "placeholders" until team members can get around to implementing them. We're basically playing an unfinished build, so we really can't judge how it's going to turn out. However, what we have now is fun, unique, and never been done before. Think about it... the only DBZ melee you've had so far is a toggle and street fighterish punches and kicks. Sure, there are somethings that get repetitive in 1.2, but rest assured, they're not even close to being done. Every new thing added to 1.2 just blows my mind and i've seen it put together piece by piece. I can't even fathom what's going to happen when the fans get everything in one shot. (Better prepare yourselves)

Just to clarify, Mouse2 is the old melee, knockback distance has been reduced, but it's still valuable. You Auto prepunch if you swoop someone, this initiates up to 12 hits. You can hit all 12 and break it off OR initiate the combo system OR throw. Depending on how many hits you land during prepunch you'll see that reflect in Combo time (Stun time). During this time you can sort of "Free for All" With any direction, including diagonals. Some movements can be done in such a way to initiate "Special Moves/Combos". These offer more damage and nifty animations. While you're pressing directions to hit, your opponent is doing the same to dodge/block your incoming hits. It can go back and forth until someone wants to stop, someone's last attack hits(Being a heavy attack only) or time runs out. Everytime time runs out or prepunching stops, a "blast sphere" appears and pushes both fighters (and any spectators) flying back a distance.
You may also throw an opponent during the initial prepunch instead of breaking off combat or comboing. After an initial charge up you may choose to throw your opponent anywhere. Into another player, causing damage and knock back to both of them. Or perhaps into a wall, where he will "Stick" for a few seconds. Beware, anyone "stuck" to a wall has the option to jump off and retaliate. That's melee, of course everything is subject to change:)

Adv. Melee vs. Adv. Melee results in a melee struggle, which is still WIP.
Adv. Melee vs. Simple Melee results in damage to both players, they get blasted back.
Simple Melee vs. Simple Melee results in a double knockback, both players fly away.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin said:
Relax and let's try to keep this on topic, fellas. Two moderators, of all people, shouldn't be getting into any kind of argument or opinion imposing.
Hey, we're people too, surprisingly enough. We can have differing opinions as long as nobody is flaming. We're here to enforce regulations, not opinions.

And... hmm... the current plan is advanced melee meeting simple melee results in a double knockback? Sounds like there could be a whole lot of double knockbacking going on for people who want to avoid a struggle with a stronger opponent at the last second. Tinkering with any other ideas?

Best answers
YES that double knockback thing will kick butt. And lets say that somehow when both people punch eachother they both hit eachothers face and they fly back a bit.

Another thing....just curious what sounds are going to be replaced....and will the ssj transformatons change or get longer or have more fx???

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin, shut your mouth and leave the moderating to the moderators, when I want your opinion on forum rules, I'll put you in charge. In the meantime, keep this one on topic.

IMO, Hib and Boyster are talking about how 1.1 melee impacts the release of 1.2, so that's fine for the context of this thread.

Best answers
I think the 1.1 people should have realised that the melee system would have been replaced eventually by a more superior system some where down the line, and it would appear it's come to that. If they're going to whine now (not saying anyone is), it's a little bit too late for it IMO.

But having said that, I would very much like a system that incorporates both kinds of melee, since they both seem to work very well. 1.2 melee handles the more fast paced, intricate combat, while 1.1 melee deals with hard hitting attacks that can be used to take an opponent by surprise (as described in this thread, the overhead whompy thingy) or knockback several opponents in a short space of time.

I think these systems could combine to make a very interesting and fun game, but if anyone's gonna complain about how it isn't focusing on one method or another, I think they should sit back and wait to see the finished result before mouthing off...

Btw Cucumba... nice ownage! :p

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
1.2 melee really does open the door for skilled players..

Imagine. You could spot a cluster of three warrior floating together, swoop down and slam one away, grab the other one and swing him around to batter the third one before the first warrior has even realised what was going on..

1.2 makes the jump into what DBZ Melee is all about!

Best answers
Scruffie said:
I think the 1.1 people should have realised that the melee system would have been replaced eventually by a more superior system some where down the line, and it would appear it's come to that. If they're going to whine now (not saying anyone is), it's a little bit too late for it IMO.

But having said that, I would very much like a system that incorporates both kinds of melee, since they both seem to work very well. 1.2 melee handles the more fast paced, intricate combat, while 1.1 melee deals with hard hitting attacks that can be used to take an opponent by surprise (as described in this thread, the overhead whompy thingy) or knockback several opponents in a short space of time.

I think these systems could combine to make a very interesting and fun game, but if anyone's gonna complain about how it isn't focusing on one method or another, I think they should sit back and wait to see the finished result before mouthing off...
1.2 and 1.1 shouldn't really be differentiated as strongly as people are doing so. 1.2 has newer features and more methods of attack than 1.1, but the principles are still the same. Swoop, hit, dodge, counter are the four basic 'food groups.' These principles have just been expanded upon. If you choose to play 1.2 exactly as 1.1, you're just going to be missing out entirely on doing more damage and being more efficient with your time. The knockbacks aren't what they used to be, but they are still knockbacks. If you stick to just doing those, you might do okay, but you're playing with one arm behind your back. For those who truly are complainers, your knockback-only strategy is still able to be done, only not as effectively as someone who's well-rounded with all of their attacks.

The game's not out yet, so all I can say is take my word for it for now. The team hasn't steered anyone wrong yet, so don't think you're going to anytime soon. The best is yet to come.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to agree with Halorin on one point, the team always makes the new version better than the last, so chin up and wait to bash 1.2 melee untill you play it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The only thing i want to know is if you have an higher pl than your opponent, will you see his move faster or it will be the same. Will he see your move normally or faster??

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pl affects the melee

wont say how but it does

Best answers
I have a question/suggestion

If the team isn't already planning this then I would assume it would have to wait for a later release, but for the advanced melee, will there be a possibility for including energy attacks?

I'm not exactly sure how this would be effectively and fairly implemented, but something like adding an automatic generic beam after a throw or something similar?

Best answers
Brim said:
I have a question/suggestion

If the team isn't already planning this then I would assume it would have to wait for a later release, but for the advanced melee, will there be a possibility for including energy attacks?

I'm not exactly sure how this would be effectively and fairly implemented, but something like adding an automatic generic beam after a throw or something similar?
You do that by switching to the generic beam or attack of your choice after a throw and firing it at your opponent? o_O

Sound Artist
Best answers
OMG Melee rules even more so now! It rules being a team member:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom