1.2.3 > 1.3 patch suggestion

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
who ever does the installers , do you reckon you could make a 1.2.3 > 1.3 installer so useres of slow internet connections don't have to wait forever just to get 1.3 ?

Best answers
Well, it WOULD be nice, but I think 1.3 is going to have too much changes to make a patch for 1.2.3. But if it is going to be released, it will weigh 80mb or so, so I don't think it's reasonable to make it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and here i was thinking it would be like the 1.2 release style (lite and full) >_<
thou you could be wrong or maybe rite since the 1.2.3full installer is smaller then the 1.2full installer

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This could go either way, most people who want to play 1.3 will already have 1.2.3 so that makes sense (it would save bandwidth for the site too).

BUT! The models are already completley changed and the code will be a lot different, so I don't know how much of the original 1.2.3 would be used, and if there was any point in making and releasing a patch if the difference is only a few megs from the full installer.

Best answers
Ravendust said:
This could go either way, most people who want to play 1.3 will already have 1.2.3 so that makes sense
I don't have 1.2.3. I uninstalled that. I am just waiting for 1.3. But if they are really gonna make a 1.2.3 -> 1.3 I think that will be troublesome for those without 1.2.3. Anyway it doesn't matter to me since I got T1 speed.

But not everyone who wants to play 1.3 will have 1.2.3. So I suggest, make both.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah but like I said, a lot has changed, much more than the 1.1 to 1.2 shift. If the game is different in a lot of aspects to 1.2 then I don't see much point in making and releasing a patch. Besides, if they released the full installer and then after a few weeks released the 1.2.3 - 1.3 patch, everyone would've probably got the full installer anyway and uninstalled 1.2.3.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What a way to save bandwidth >_>
The models are already completley changed and the code will be a lot different, so I don't know how much of the original 1.2.3 would be used
1) there are also extra sounds... and maps...
2) There should be a patch 'cuz look at it this way:
EVM 2.0 SV == 59.57 MB
1.2.3 Full installer == 184.82 MB
So the 1.3 full installer's estimated size should be about 244.39 MB.
I know I'm missing some stuff but that's just estimated so...
Anyway, that's alot IMO, atleast for a single file. And lets say that you're downloading it from ESF-World (and haven't donated)... Yeah that might take a while...

Just Release them both at the same time and everyone will be happy:yes:.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah but they have the fx system and a whole bunch of stuff thats currently not supported or even possible in the current 1.2.3

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lite installer for 1.3. We do understand that some people don't have the connection and time necessary to download a huge tc like ESF. I would expect that there will be a lite installer.

As for a patch...well, I've never been good with guesstimating that kind of thing. I imagine it would be possible to create a patch for 1.2.2/1.2.3. However, don't hold me to that. There are quite a few new things being put in. We're not looking at as big a difference as 2.0a to 1.0 beta, but I imagine that even a patch would end up reasonably large.

Again, don't hold me to any of this info - I am not certain of the plans for the installers. Those will probably become more obvious when the release gets closer.

For now, I'm going to guess that, at the very least, there will be a lite installer that cuts out the better textures, mp3's, the Jap-pack, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom