Why does no one play ESF Open Beta?

Best answers
How come anytime I load ESF Open Beta, there is never anyone playing it ? =/

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.2.3 has tons of people though, there is no time I can't start it and find no one playing. And a friend is giving me a server due to helping him manage his new server business, going to be an ESF one for sure. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF 1.2.3 = Stable

ESF 1.3 = Unstable and More buggy.

Though ESF 1.3 is only out due to a problem in the past.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF 1.3 Open Beta, was released for betat tesing purposes, it wasn't meant for actual gameplay, it was made for pure bug-tracking done by the community. Needless to say, the community didn't understand this, and started *****ing about the bugs (which was the exact point of the Open Beta). Thus, the team stopped releasing new Open Beta's and the community pretty much lost interest in it.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually feel the devs should remove Open Beta from the downloads. Since it basically can't be played online and is loads different from what Esf Final will be, it'll just add confusion between which version to get. People by default prefer to get the latest version available without checking its limitations.

So if they want to play Esf before the release of final, they should automatically land on the 1.23 version.

2 cents.

Edit: Or you could put the link only here in the forums as a sticky.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually feel the devs should remove Open Beta from the downloads. Since it basically can't be played online and is loads different from what Esf Final will be, it'll just add confusion between which version to get. People by default prefer to get the latest version available without checking its limitations.

So if they want to play Esf before the release of final, they should automatically land on the 1.23 version.

2 cents.

Edit: Or you could put the link only here in the forums as a sticky.

To be honest, I actually agree with this. Most of the people who come on these forums, asking questions about the OB, are confused by the lack of people playing the game, the lack of bots, or the lack of the fancy graphics shown in recent pictures.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Wasn't ESF Open Beta releases stopped because someone leaked the source code ?

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The open beta releases started after the leak.

History of ESF said:
"Someone named Dragondude joined the ESF team as a mapper. He then made the jump to coder and gained access to ESF’s source code. He handed the code over to his friend Kurt, who compiled the code and released it onto the internet. Kurt also managed to get a hold of and release the forum with all hidden sections viewable, including the developer and admin section. Everyone associated with the leak was banned from the forum.

The leaked build showed a buggy game that wasn’t anywhere close to being complete. Moral on the team was low, and the leaked build could have very well killed the mod. Instead, the opposite happened. The team decided that too much work had been put into ESF to simply give up, and a renewed effort was made on completing 1.3.

The ESF team opted to do open betas, releasing periodic builds of the development version to the public. Harsens, the lead coder of ESF at the time, described the open beta as follows:

"It might be unbalanced, buggy and contains some console commands to make testing easier, that could be considered hacks. If you want to play competitively at a stable server, this might not be the release for you. However, if you would like to take a look in our kitchen, you might want to check this out."
Source

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom