you guys making maps

Best answers
would you guys who make custom maps please learn how to make a .res file all these custom map packs that need a special wad and you don't even make a .res file its very simple just do this to make life more easy for everyone

lets say the wad for example is guru.wad i want you to open notepad type in guru.wad and if it needs special other files like pldecal.wad or something type that in also then you save it and lets say the map was esf_guru you save it as esf_guru.res it would make hosting a custom server more easy then to keep having to make .res files for all those custom maps out there that don't have them thanks

and just in case what i told you was to hard to understand i'll post something from someone else

this is an example

Thanks for your help Camping Carl, but I managed to figure out the problems with the custom maps I downloaded.

So for anyone else who may be interested, I'll let you know why I had problems with many custom maps. The maps I downloaded were self extracting executable files created by the 907th (907th.com). You may have seen these maps all over the internet on various websites.

There's basically 2 problems with many of these maps:
1. Most do not have a resource file (.res) in the maps directory. So when you try to download a map, your client doesn't know what other files (.wad, etc) to download with it.

2. These self extracting executable files don't contain ALL the necessary files that you need to run a particular map in some cases. Models, sprites, etc may be missing. Some even contain the wrong files you need. It's a good bet that something is missing if your map won't load.

I basically trusted the compressed map file that I downloaded and extracted as having all the files I needed, and couldn't figure out why they didn't work. I am sure now that HLSW could have told me that, but basically what I did was temporarily move all my DOD files to a safe area. I then connected to a server that was running a map that I wanted, and saw what files were being downloaded to my pc. That way I'd be sure to have everything I needed. I just uploaded those files and created an appropriate .res file, and now everything works.

Hope this is helpful to others. Thanks again Camping Carl.

-daver

You can make it in wordpad, I find wordpad much better than notepad. But it looks something like this. The wads go in the cstrike folder, follow the paths for the others.

czde_corruption.wad
xde_corruption.wad
maps/de_corruption.bsp
maps/de_corruption.txt
models/props/bush_shrub_little.mdl
models/props/bush_shrubv01.mdl
models/props/tree_brownv01.mdl
sound/ambience/trailer_wndinsidepark_loop.wav

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
would you guys who make custom maps please learn how to make a .res file all these custom map packs that need a special wad and you don't even make a .res file its very simple just do this to make life more easy for everyone

lets say the wad for example is guru.wad i want you to open notepad type in guru.wad and if it needs special other files like pldecal.wad or something type that in also then you save it and lets say the map was esf_guru you save it as esf_guru.res it would make hosting a custom server more easy then to keep having to make .res files for all those custom maps out there that don't have them thanks

and just in case what i told you was to hard to understand i'll post something from someone else

this is an example

Thanks for your help Camping Carl, but I managed to figure out the problems with the custom maps I downloaded.

So for anyone else who may be interested, I'll let you know why I had problems with many custom maps. The maps I downloaded were self extracting executable files created by the 907th (907th.com). You may have seen these maps all over the internet on various websites.

There's basically 2 problems with many of these maps:
1. Most do not have a resource file (.res) in the maps directory. So when you try to download a map, your client doesn't know what other files (.wad, etc) to download with it.

2. These self extracting executable files don't contain ALL the necessary files that you need to run a particular map in some cases. Models, sprites, etc may be missing. Some even contain the wrong files you need. It's a good bet that something is missing if your map won't load.

I basically trusted the compressed map file that I downloaded and extracted as having all the files I needed, and couldn't figure out why they didn't work. I am sure now that HLSW could have told me that, but basically what I did was temporarily move all my DOD files to a safe area. I then connected to a server that was running a map that I wanted, and saw what files were being downloaded to my pc. That way I'd be sure to have everything I needed. I just uploaded those files and created an appropriate .res file, and now everything works.

Hope this is helpful to others. Thanks again Camping Carl.

-daver

You can make it in wordpad, I find wordpad much better than notepad. But it looks something like this. The wads go in the cstrike folder, follow the paths for the others.

czde_corruption.wad
xde_corruption.wad
maps/de_corruption.bsp
maps/de_corruption.txt
models/props/bush_shrub_little.mdl
models/props/bush_shrubv01.mdl
models/props/tree_brownv01.mdl
sound/ambience/trailer_wndinsidepark_loop.wav
Meh that was in the days of 1.0 and 1.1

All masps made by todays mappers have teh textures put inside the BSP files. So no WAD or RES files needed. And models, sounds and sprites are downloaded automatically.

Besides reffering especially to guru.wad and namek.wad

Those 2 files were part of the originall ESF versions 1.0 and 1.1

Every installer had them. Thats why the mappers didnt even put them into the rar files of the maps. When they were removed in 1.2 the old custom maps became outdated. Thats why esf-world hosts those 2 wad files seperatly.

Best answers
im still downloading maps that need the special wad files even to this day and if you don't have a .res file they will crash your server me and my server adminstrator have been adding .res files to all the custom maps we have been putting up on our server its not just the 1.0 or 1.1 days trust me and to use guru that was just an example and for the old esf map pack my server administrator made a .res file for the namek guru and one more other level i can't think of it now because it required the special wad to play it im just asking can the people making maps just put the .res file in there it would save me alot of time

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im still downloading maps that need the special wad files even to this day and if you don't have a .res file they will crash your server me and my server adminstrator have been adding .res files to all the custom maps we have been putting up on our server its not just the 1.0 or 1.1 days trust me and to use guru that was just an example and for the old esf map pack my server administrator made a .res file for the namek guru and one more other level i can't think of it now because it required the special wad to play it im just asking can the people making maps just put the .res file in there it would save me alot of time
Trust me when i say that only the old 1.1 maps need res files to work on 1.2. But sonce those maps work equaly good on 1.2 as they did on 1.1 providing you have all the files, people get errors.

Every mapper left in this comunity just slaps textures into the BSP files nowdays.

So yes you are only getting errors from the old maps. But then again there are not really that many new maps beeing made. 1.0 and 1.1 were prime time for mapping and modeling. It all just died out in 1.2

But yea. Me and Skyrider did a similar thing once. And started adding .res files to his server for all the maps. I think we added about 20 or so .res files. In the end the result was teh same as before. Same 20 people came in to play as before.

Best answers
oh yeah i know not alot of people play anymore but i just like the custom maps they kinda give esf new life to myself since i never usually play on those maps well so since only the same 20 people came did you guys just stop doing it?

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh yeah i know not alot of people play anymore but i just like the custom maps they kinda give esf new life to myself since i never usually play on those maps well so since only the same 20 people came did you guys just stop doing it?

No idea. Was on the old HL2files servers. Im not even sure if the servers are even still up ^^

The rest of the servers just run cell_games_night anyhow cause its supposed to be a "pro" player map that doesnt lag the game >.>

Personally im sick of playing that map all the time.

Best answers
yeah im tired of it also thats why i host custom maps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom