Yamcha the Desert Bandit

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel like I've brought this up in the past, but I'm going to bring it up again.

People really, really need to stop bringing up Operation: Tien. I understand that the community failed when it came down to the animations and finishing the project when they had the best chance of getting the character in game, but it's an entire different story now. A lot of you talk as if the community can still complete Operation: Tien if enough interest arose again. While this is true in a way, things are completely different now when it comes down to getting a character in ESF. The only thing that really could be down without support from the team would be creating a model and texture of Tien that fits the standards of the current characters. After that, it would mostly now be on the team. Sure, you guys could disclose information and help people get the diffuse maps and such on the model so it works for ESF, but things like the rig and animaitons are a completely different story. First off, at this point I'm sure you guys wouldn't really be willing to give the full list of animations to prevent any possible features that haven't been revealed from getting out. The next big thing is getting the rig done. I'm honestly not sure if you guys have shown the public the process for rigging, but the last time I saw it, it was a lot of ******* work and required a lot of special things that needed to be done to get a model fully compatible in the new ESF. And finally, there's the part about getting the animations up to par with the other animations, which at this point is pretty much impossible unless someone who has as much experience as DT pops up in the community.

I apologize if this post came off as me blaming the team for Tien not being in ESF (which isn't true at all, I'm not blaming anyone), but the main point of this post is that people just really need to stop mentioning Operation: Tien while implying that the community can still finish this project without the support from the team.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually all the functions are im MAX. You make the model, save it, then you can send it to one of our modelers or mappers to compile it with the tool we have.

The problem is that in the past the community had artists capable of producing top notch models visiting on a daily base. Today thats not the case. As for the whole rigging thing. Its as it was back then. Besides ive said it again and again. The devs idle on TS and people can come with questions related to how mapping/modeling works now. While you cant really join our channel without an invite, you can easily open a text chat window.

--- edit ---

Actually all the functions are im MAX. You make the model, save it, then you can send it to one of our modelers or mappers to compile it with the tool we have.

The problem is that in the past the community had artists capable of producing top notch models visiting on a daily base. Today thats not the case. As for the whole rigging thing. Its as it was back then. Besides ive said it again and again. The devs idle on TS and people can come with questions related to how mapping/modeling works now. While you cant really join our channel without an invite, you can easily open a text chat window.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you misunderstood what I said, because I never mentioned that any of this couldn't be done in 3dsmax. The issue is I'm pretty sure things are done in a more special way compared to how you would normally do something like, normal mapping. (I don't know if you guys do normal mapping in a special way (nor can I remember), but I'm merely just using it as an example.) You guys haven't really mentioned how to get custom content in ESF yet, so it's kind of hard for people to pick up a project like Operation: tien right now.

As for rigging being the same as it was back then, it's really not. Operation: Tien started when people were still using ms3d to do things such as animations and rigging. There's also the thing with bones, constraints, and controllers, as well as other things that I can't even remember that weren't used back then and are used now. DT could always write up a tutorial on how to do that so other people could attempt to do it themselves, but those resources aren't currently available.

Again, just please stop saying people can still do Operation: Tien. It's just not going to happen at this point.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And all the "technology" we are using is years old. We are not doing anything special or different. We are just using newer techniques. Stuff thats been used in games for years really. Its new to HL1, but thats about it. You were here in the times of Ned, Smo, Kreshi and the others. Who do you think taught them the most?

You are making a big drama out of something thats not. As i said you are free to come ask for advice any time on the TS channel. But the way you are talking is like it was the 1950s with no internet or online tutorials. The problem with Tien is the lack of artists, not the lack of knowledge. It can happen if people have the will to learn.

Ask for help, ask for info that would help, but dont throw it out the window with a silly excuse like that. We are not inventing rocket science, nor are we doing anything ground breaking. The reason why Operation Tien will not be finished is simply because people give up after a few unsuccessful attempts, instead of continuing until they get it right. And if you ask what you need to learn in order to get there, im sure the artists will give you that info.

But saying its impossible because of "technique" is just ignorant.

All you have mentioned. Bones, constraints, controllers as well as other things like normal mapping and so on is the same kind as in other games. The only thing different is the compilation. And with that we can help directly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, This is where I left Operation: Tien at. In the middle of a... Yamcha... thread.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
It's the ESF Forum, the entire board is one huge thread so we just resume random conversations in whatever thread everyone is watching at the time.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Why not make a new Topic in the "Help Finish ESF:Final" about Tien and Yamcha models and see if anyone picks them up? I'm sure eventually someone will show up just like they did for the Buu map ^_^.

PS: What the hell is up with the Forums? Double posting in the same Replies and stuff for past few week or so. Also Skyrider seems to have banned himself wtf lmao xD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom