XP Blue screen when switching BIOS HDD to SATA

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I was unable to install XP as it couldn't detect the sata HDD, thus I changed the SATA in BIOS to PATA. After the installation, I wanted to switch it back to SATA.. but xp keeps having blue screens. Now, Understanding because I never installed the SATA drivers. I attempted to install the sata drivers, but it keeps grabbing automatically the PATA drivers. updating using the SATA drivers doesn't seem to effect it at all. Any help?

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What kind of computer is this? Laptop or desktop?
Any other info, ie Motherboard.

Check through the bios and see if there is a setting called AHCI (I think that what it's called), if there is, disable it. And try to start up. If it doesn't work I guess try a re-install and see if it sees the drive.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
What kind of computer is this? Laptop or desktop?
Any other info, ie Motherboard.

Check through the bios and see if there is a setting called AHCI (I think that what it's called), if there is, disable it. And try to start up. If it doesn't work I guess try a re-install and see if it sees the drive.
Laptop. It works just fine in P(ATA) mode, but I want it to be enabled in SATA. It worked for Vista, but I downgraded to XP.

Ex-Pro 1.2.3 Player
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Laptop. It works just fine in P(ATA) mode, but I want it to be enabled in SATA. It worked for Vista, but I downgraded to XP.
What is mostly the problem is that when you installed XP, you had it in PATA mode. in order for SATA to be enabled without any problems with XP is to reinstall with SATA enabled. now these days XP doesn't have most of the SATA Controller drivers so you might want to download them and put them on a floppy you can find a USB Floppy drive for about $30 USD on Pricewatch.com.

If that still gives you the BSOD, then you might just want to keep it at PATA or count your losses and reinstall Vista (only version of vista that works well is Ultimate)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom