Wierd dvd drive problem

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When the computer is first starting up the DVD drive is not detected as the Primary Slave. But in trying to figure out what was going on I went into the BIOS setup and went down to check out the configuration for the Primary Slave. Upon entering the configuration menu the name of the Dvd-drive shows up and has apparently been detected. Of course, upon exiting the BIOS setup the computer restarts and again the DVD is not detected by windows (I run xp), even though it is detected by the bios o_O

update:

All drives are now recognised in the BIOS.
Windows briefly sees my burner, but then it dissappears.
Both drives are visible under devicemanager, with a ! and this error:
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Installing generic cd drivers does not work, and as none of my cd drives work atm installing off cd is impossible.

update number 2

fixed the previous problems, but now my soundcard doesn't work :/
i cannot find the drivers I used before to fix this - i get the devldr error when i reboot, hanging my pc:
I also get no sound and errors when I try and play anything, even though my drivers are installed.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What soundcard do you have? Try disabling DMA if the drive supports it, it may be conflicting with other resources. What is your primary drive on that particular bus?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my soundcard is an sblive 5.1

to me it looks like the soundcard is fried, so im going to pick one up tomorrow and try again.

UPDATE:

Fixed the problem, at long last!

Turns out, something called "plug and play software device enumerator" was deleted, and I don't know how o_O

Reinstalled using an obscure method, and it works :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom