What is Earth League, steam and Won?

Best answers
Im not new to ESF, I've just always played LAN. What is Earth League, steam and Won? I know they allow you to play online but do I have to install them? Where do I get them? Thanks

Best answers
Earth League - The official ranking system for ESF. Its basically a ladder for ESF. You challenge someone that is within a certain number of your rank and play. Wins and losses are recorded and you ascend or descend on the rank list depending on your outcomes matched against the outcomes of the other matches going on. Not everyone is signed up for Earth League, so ranking results are only good for the people who are signed up. There will be a new Earth League system coming out (soon?), but the currrent system is non-existent from what I've heard.

WON - Authentification and gaming management system that Valve has used for the past few years. A solid system, but Valve is paying WON to manage its servers and clients, so its slowly being replaced by STEAM. WON is still playable, but will eventually be non-existent as well.

STEAM - Valve's homemade authentification and gaming management system. It is now out of its beta stages and is already becoming quite popular. Some games can only be run on STEAM now, such as CS 1.6 (to my knowledge). Eventually, everyone will be playing on STEAM since Valve doesn't have to 'rent' the service. Its setup is a bit different than WON. There's a Friend's List that notifies you when your gaming buddies are online, offline, or in-game. You can connect to your buddy's game from your desktop using this. STEAM runs straight from your desktop. No more going into a game and finding servers-- you can look, sort, and join a server right from your desktop! STEAM's console is also more advanced than WON's. It allows auto-fill cvar commands, copying & pasting of logs, and some other things. With all the good things about STEAM, the worst is probably the loading times for starting games. Other than that, its a solid system as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom