ways to make esf attractive to all

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
First off, let me say that esf is a great game and is far better then budakai or any other dbz gameplay wize. The only thing is, those games are more popular because they have that dbz flare to them. I mean great looking attacks awsome moves and smooth animations. Honsestly, i think Esf could possibly pull in more Gamers then DoD.
I'm not so if I've expressed this enough so ill say this a bit more clearly. ****I think ESF Lacks Presentation****.

- No detailed ingame guides to get better with melee.
- Nothing to keep the pros hooked after becoming one of the best.
- Nothing to wager to make fighting matches more of a risk (Ill explain abit further on).
- No great looking moves you'de see in dbz.
- No limiters on beam spam.
- No advertisements show that esf is melee based, so that the new games dont think its all about beams and get pissed at meleers for being so good with it.
- No interesting Specmode views, i mean this is DBZ we it shouldn't have the views that you'de use to watch a shooting game like dod/cs.. Where are the spinning cam angles, and the automatic camera swapping?

I think this list could go on.. but i think i hit all the key points.

As for the wager thing.. I think players should be able to sign up to the esforces website to participate in a ranked system of competitive players..

Here is how it could work. Once a player is signed up he / she is giving the rules of the matches, when they take place, and how they work....

The whole point of this, is to obtain and wager Tokens, and these tokens effect your rank. To get started you'll be given 10 tokens automaticly, and as you win matches and collect more tokens your rank will raise. To challenge others you must put up a certain amount of tokens to challenge another player. The hhigher their rank, the higher the token wager is. I think this would make the ranking system much more effect and interesting.

I also have a new move idea; the "grab&throw". My idea is to make it possible to grab someone by the arm and fly around with them.. then you throw them by letting go of Mb2.

It works like this. You can only use it when someone is, tumbling , falling, or rolling. To do the move, double click and hold Mb2 then swoop into them and you'll grab his/her arm. From there you can fly around with them as your ki drains. If You run out of ki they break out of the grab sending you flying back. To throw them just let go of the Mb2 button and you'll throw them where ever you're looking. Here is the catch, the person thrown can automaticly spring up off of any surface they land on if timed correctly. They'd just time it right and press jump when they hit a surface to spring back up. This Move increases gameplay speeds by far and it's effective/flashy/ Non-overpowering.

Best answers
You do realize that ESF isn't made by professionals right? They don't get paid to make it. So making a better "presentation" as you say would take a whole lot of time and effort. This is just being made on the staffs freetime, after homework(for most people), chores, work, dating, all that stuff. Plus there's no way that they could make ESF look like marketed games do these days. It uses the HL engine in case you didnt know. And it only supports to a certain extent of graphics and animations and stuff like that. If they overkilled it there would be errors in the game and it would run really slow if not at all. And it's the HL1 engine not HL2.
And btw ESF isn't melee based. It's balanced with beams and melee but beams arent used much because of charging time and stuff. Plus how many times would Goku and the others beam somebody before they attacked with melee. Yeah, not very much. They didnt use beams a whole lot in DBZ that's what made them cool because it was sort of rare because all they usually do is fight or talk for 3 episodes.
And I dont like that token thing thats just... dumb imo. This isnt gambling its an action game. Plus there isnt a ranking system to start with. and if someone grabbed me by the arm and flew me around like an air plane I'd probably just beam them in the ass.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VideoJinx said:
That's what custom sprites are made for. Anyways all the moves in ESF are great looking.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VideoJinx said:
- No detailed ingame guides to get better with melee.
- Nothing to keep the pros hooked after becoming one of the best.
- Nothing to wager to make fighting matches more of a risk (Ill explain abit further on).
- No limiters on beam spam.

- No advertisements show that esf is melee based, so that the new games dont think its all about beams and get pissed at meleers for being so good with it.

- No interesting Specmode views, i mean this is DBZ we it shouldn't have the views that you'de use to watch a shooting game like dod/cs.. Where are the spinning cam angles, and the automatic camera swapping?
1. The only way to get better at melee is to practice. It would be dumb to create a guide that explains every inch of melee.

2. That's nothing new, look at every form of competition and you'll see the same thing.

3. You wager bragging rights. The ranking system you speak of is already set up for ESF-World, and it's a voluntary thing rather then being forced.

4. The GoldSrc engine is only capable of so much. Besides, what great looking moves did any of the characters in Dragon Ball Z perform that isn't already (or going to be) in ESF?

5. That's being fixed.

6. There are no advertisements for ESF, period. The only thing I saw that was close to it was ESF being modification of the week at PlanetHalfLife. The last thing ESF needs is for it to be widely advertise since it does violate the copyrights for Dragon Ball Z.

7. Spectator mode wasn't made to be interesting, it was made so that you can spectate. Adding cinema-like features would be pointless since there's barely anyone spectating a game.

VideoJinx said:
I also have a new move idea; the "grab&throw". My idea is to make it possible to grab someone by the arm and fly around with them.. then you throw them by letting go of Mb2.

It works like this. You can only use it when someone is, tumbling , falling, or rolling. To do the move, double click and hold Mb2 then swoop into them and you'll grab his/her arm. From there you can fly around with them as your ki drains. If You run out of ki they break out of the grab sending you flying back. To throw them just let go of the Mb2 button and you'll throw them where ever you're looking. Here is the catch, the person thrown can automaticly spring up off of any surface they land on if timed correctly. They'd just time it right and press jump when they hit a surface to spring back up. This Move increases gameplay speeds by far and it's effective/flashy/ Non-overpowering.
That's a bad idea, plus I don't see any increase in game speed or it's effectiveness. This would be just as much spammed as throwing is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to agree with just about everything everyone's said so far about your ideas. I personally would love to see even better graphics than are currently being put out, but I also understand that the team has already surpassed the "normal" limits for the HL engine in many ways, and done a helluva good job with the tools they have at their disposal. Them moving to another engine to accomodate a graphical update would make all the workarounds, and the coding, in addition to all the models and maps for the mod completely useless.

You're ranking idea is not bad, but unless it were an optional or addon thing to the current game I don't see it working out too well simply because of different availability times for players, and the decreased convenience of just hopping into a server and fragging away.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
As for the melee guide. Noobs do not know about tele swooping drifting ect.. They dont tend to learn either.. ect...an in game guide would help.

when i say good looking moves.. i mean.. melee specials such as multiple hits back to back an such, of course NOT automatic....

as for the spectator mode.. when peopl have 1v1s and other spec.. people do tend to get bored.. and interesting view would spicen things up..

as for my idea .. u dont see how this would pick things up? Let me show u.. Ok i get hit and smack into the ground, and begine rolling. I hold the right buttons to recover from the role if i have enough ki, then jump up and start fighting. Now think of htis.. I get hit the guy swoops again an catches me then throws me almost instantly into the ground. If timed correctly i can press jump at the same time i hit the ground i automaticly spring up continuing the fight not giving the oppoent much time to charge (NOT a recover an isntant spring back). Also this could add some interesting combos

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VideoJinx said:
As for the melee guide. Noobs do not know about tele swooping drifting ect.. They dont tend to learn either.. ect...an in game guide would help.

when i say good looking moves.. i mean.. melee specials such as multiple hits back to back an such, of course NOT automatic....
The melee guide is to lear how to play not to lear the hole game only by fallowing a guide the tele swooping you suld learn it

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The melee guide is to lear how to play not to lear the hole game only by fallowing a guide the tele swooping you suld learn it
true but you dont read something once and then learn everything you need to know you should have a tutorial in a one player mode kind of like in the training center for CS and HL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom