Want to learn computer programming

Best answers
Ok, I know nothing about computer programming, but I want to teach myself how. My goal is to make a basic sonic fangame(to moteivate myself), and I need advice. What program should I use, (is The Games Factory a good thing to learn with)?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, I know nothing about computer programming, but I want to teach myself how. My goal is to make a basic sonic fangame(to moteivate myself), and I need advice. What program should I use, (is The Games Factory a good thing to learn with)?
Your best bet is to take online courses for programming rather than trying to learn yourself. You'll progress faster that way in my opinion, but of course, that's up to you.

I used to mess around with Microsoft Visual Studio C++, but it's the only one I've used.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not sure how old you are, but if you really really really really care. And actually want to go somewhere with it. School is your best option.

Whether you're in high school or college (especially college) they'll have computer programming courses. Take them and learn the knowledge you need to learn to make uber games. And make a game about a flying bird made of fire that goes around destroying cities and eventually the world.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Depends, are you wanting to create a game and make a real game? For the pc, etc. Or do you want to make a simple Flash Game?

Best answers
If you pick up a copy of Game Programming All-in-One 2nd Edition, it'll teach you everything you want and need to know about making a Sonic-type side-scroller -- as well as the concepts to make non-2d games.

And at www.microsoft.com they've made Visual C++ .net 2005 Express edition free. It's a pretty good compiler. Just install the Windows platform SDK and the DX9 SDK and you're all set.

EDIT: You might also want to consider visiting http://www.gamedev.net/ -- they provide tutorials, and info on all kinds of concepts and protocols.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're serious, I recommend buying a book on C++. I recommend either C++ Primer Plus or Sam's Teach Yourself C++ In 21 Days. After you've read through a book, and have an advanced understanding of the language, you should get a book on OpenGL programming, such as Beginning OpenGL Game Programming.

But you shouldn't read just one book. It's important to read more than one to see the different views and opinions about the language (different conventions, etc.), and no single book can cover every single topic (although many attempt to).

@ Sandstorm - VC++ 2005 Express is horrid. VC++ 6.0 is far better, if you can still find it anywhere.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I used to use "Click and play" on tha old 486, Which was actually quite good. I have a CD with about 90+ games I made on it. I never liked programming, I always found it to be a bore, But drag and drop bits and pieces to make a game was allot more enjoyable to me, Theres also another game maker thingy called Byond, (Where you have to use C+ programming etc) And RPG Maker 2000, Still if someone could make a mud similar to Dragon Ball Universe That would be awesome :) I lost countless hours on that mud...

Best answers
if you really want to get into gaming as a possible job the industry uses C++ right now, not sure when/if they are gonna start using C#.

Best answers
If you're serious, I recommend buying a book on C++. I recommend either C++ Primer Plus or Sam's Teach Yourself C++ In 21 Days. After you've read through a book, and have an advanced understanding of the language, you should get a book on OpenGL programming, such as Beginning OpenGL Game Programming.

But you shouldn't read just one book. It's important to read more than one to see the different views and opinions about the language (different conventions, etc.), and no single book can cover every single topic (although many attempt to).

@ Sandstorm - VC++ 2005 Express is horrid. VC++ 6.0 is far better, if you can still find it anywhere.
Got both. VC++ 6.0 was great, back when it was new, but these days the IT industry uses the VC++ .net applications. And if you want to keep on top of compatibility, you should move up.

Why do you dislike 2k5? Because it comes with only ANSI standard headers? Just install the Windows SDK. Because the compiler is not optimized? They've got tools you can download for that.

Quite simply, the 2k5 compiler is better because it supports all standards of C and C++ (such as the all-encompassing ANSI standard), while VC++ 6 uses its own code conventions, rather than standards.

But as for Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, I would suggest OpenGL Game Programming instead, as it teaches you to do more than just how to display things on screen. Beginning OpenGL Game Programming should be named Beginning OpenGL Programming.

But if you want to learn how to program OpenGL, you should get The OpenGL Superbible. On Amazon you can get a bundle of the red book, the orange book, and whatever colour that other book was... There are far more books that teach programming DirectX, but, that's entirely up to you as to what API you use.

IMO: DirectX is ugly, because it's a single OS API and the only way to use the newer features is to be on a Vista computer, whereas, OpenGL is non-OS specific, so, if OpenGL 6.0 comes out and you're still using Windows XP, you'll be able to use said features because they're programmed with compatibility as the emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom