Want to Buy Bro New Graphics Card

Best answers
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you cut Skyrim from your list, or at least not expect it to play at the highest graphics, you could probably take the above list, cut it down some more and save even more money.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually he'd only have a problem if he wants to play Witcher 2 or Battlefield 3, otherwise that rig would be able to handle Skyrim. Bethesda wants to give equal fidelity on all systems, so if a PC can play Oblivion maxed, Skyrim won't have a problem running well.

Graphical mods, on the other hand, will require a better system.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You guys are insane, that rig will play everything well, unless you get three screens and a ridiculous resolution.

Best answers
Made a mistake, its actually a 4gb kit in the link, but that's what I get for compiling a list in notepad before i post XD

Although having said that, 8GB is not a bad idea in the long term, being only about roughly $35~ dearer (IIRC) than the same 4GB Kit.

You can save or put money else where in the system if his existing case is half decent (IE: at least 2 or 3 120mm fan mounts and fans)

The PSU could be narrowed down to a 650W if you really wanted too, but it will pay off down the line getting a stronger PSU now when you next decide to overhaul the machine in anyway shape or form because by then PSU requirements by then may change for say newer GPUs (CPU TDPs/power consumption however will generally stay where they are today while increasing performance where possible)

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm, how difficult is it to build a PC? I've installed RAM, optical drives, graphics cards, HDDs, but never a processor, PSU, or an entire motherboard.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm, how difficult is it to build a PC? I've installed RAM, optical drives, graphics cards, HDDs, but never a processor, PSU, or an entire motherboard.
Its the same thing really, watch a few videos to get the gist of it. And always keep your motherboard's manual handy, it will be your specialized guide for your system. The main thing you need to be careful about is Static. Either always keep in contact with the Case, or get an Anti-static wrist strap.

Motherboard are really easy to install, but be very gentle with the CPU, don't force it in if it doesn't go, take it out and try again.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I whould go with this:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1 GHz - http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Callisto-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B002BFOCW4

MSI 880GM-E43 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130293

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=kingston_1333_ddr3-_-20-104-225-_-Product

x2 Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=kingston_1333_ddr3-_-20-104-225-_-Product

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2185&cm_re=samsung_1TB-_-22-152-185-_-Product

MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127592

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030&Tpk=Antec Neo 520

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition can be unlocked to 4 cores. So you get a quad core for a price of dual core. Yes the core unlock isn't 100% guaranteed, still even if it dosen't unlock you still got a pritty powerfull dual core. My friend that is a girl and not into twinking bought this stuff and unlocked it by her self to 4th core so it's not that hard. I also heard that you can unlock that baby to six cores but dunno if it's true.

motherboard supports AM3 and six cores so you can always upgrade to 6 core later when you want.

Total price: 556.88$

This is what i find best bang for your buck that is cheap, because i dont mind twinking.

Last edited:
Best answers
I whould go with this:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1 GHz - http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Callisto-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B002BFOCW4

MSI 880GM-E43 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130293

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=kingston_1333_ddr3-_-20-104-225-_-Product

x2 Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=kingston_1333_ddr3-_-20-104-225-_-Product

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2185&cm_re=samsung_1TB-_-22-152-185-_-Product

MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127592

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030&Tpk=Antec Neo 520

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition can be unlocked to 4 cores. So you get a quad core for a price of dual core. Yes the core unlock isn't 100% guaranteed, still even if it dosen't unlock you still got a pritty powerfull dual core. My friend that is a girl and not into twinking bought this stuff and unlocked it by her self to 4th core so it's not that hard. I also heard that you can unlock that baby to six cores but dunno if it's true.

motherboard supports AM3 and six cores so you can always upgrade to 6 core later when you want.

Total price: 556.88$

This is what i find best bang for your buck that is cheap, because i dont mind twinking.
Intel is a no brainier in this day and age and the fact that AMD hasn't had the performance crown or been anywhere near close to intel in terms of performance since 2006 is really beginning to show. When intel released Core2, AMD grew incredibly lazy in their CPU department. Its one of the defining reasons why you see a lot more DIY intel based machines.

I wouldn't go get a CPU I know that isn't 100% a quad-core, even if it is possible to unlock extra cores. AMD would probably lock them for a reason. Overclocking chips and testing for stability is fine but to unlock a core only to find it was disabled due to the fact that it failed QA testing and was unstable sucks even more and then means if you really want a quad that you have to go buy a new CPU if it doesn't work.

Its just a more risky form of 'luck of the draw', similar to a given CPU's overclocking potential, but without the overclocking and relying on luck to get a quad-core CPU. You might as well just spend that little bit more if you were to go the AMD route on a actual AMD quad-core CPU (Something like the 955 is only $30~ more on newegg)

I don't see why you'd also be recommending a micro-atx board given the fact that a build like this would likely also go into a normal ATX case. Yes, you can put it in there, but it gets frustrating and cramped should you want a bigger aftermarket CPU cooler and since this would be his first build, he'd be better off with a full size ATX board anyway since there's more expansion options and also because a dual slot graphics card kills potential expansion options in a micro-atx board for say a stand-alone sound card (which craps all over on board sound unless you use digital in which case it won't matter) or a tv tuner etc.

I'd be opting for a better power supply too. Its one thing to be cheap, but there's being cheap and then being too cheap. Should he want to upgrade his system later on, a 650W/750W helps provide that opportunity whereas today NV/AMD themselves say in slides and manuals that they recommend at least a 500-550W PSU when running any of their performance GPUs.

I'm not saying that antec is cheap and generic at all, but do give a thought of the long term. In the long term, spending an extra $20-$40 for a better PSU will really pay off in the long run.

It really does pay to think about convince overall and unlocking/overclocking isn't for everyone, but that's where things like turbo boost/turbo core come in, requiring no knowledge of overclocking and the hardware does it dynamically for you.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
Ahhh, all those rigs look brilliant, demanding the money ill never have to spend for computers any time soon.

Enjoy the new rig that you will hopefully buy.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Intel is a no brainier in this day and age and the fact that AMD hasn't had the performance crown or been anywhere near close to intel in terms of performance since 2006 is really beginning to show. When intel released Core2, AMD grew incredibly lazy in their CPU department. Its one of the defining reasons why you see a lot more DIY intel based machines.

I wouldn't go get a CPU I know that isn't 100% a quad-core, even if it is possible to unlock extra cores. AMD would probably lock them for a reason. Overclocking chips and testing for stability is fine but to unlock a core only to find it was disabled due to the fact that it failed QA testing and was unstable sucks even more and then means if you really want a quad that you have to go buy a new CPU if it doesn't work.

Its just a more risky form of 'luck of the draw', similar to a given CPU's overclocking potential, but without the overclocking and relying on luck to get a quad-core CPU. You might as well just spend that little bit more if you were to go the AMD route on a actual AMD quad-core CPU (Something like the 955 is only $30~ more on newegg)

I don't see why you'd also be recommending a micro-atx board given the fact that a build like this would likely also go into a normal ATX case. Yes, you can put it in there, but it gets frustrating and cramped should you want a bigger aftermarket CPU cooler and since this would be his first build, he'd be better off with a full size ATX board anyway since there's more expansion options and also because a dual slot graphics card kills potential expansion options in a micro-atx board for say a stand-alone sound card (which craps all over on board sound unless you use digital in which case it won't matter) or a tv tuner etc.

I'd be opting for a better power supply too. Its one thing to be cheap, but there's being cheap and then being too cheap. Should he want to upgrade his system later on, a 650W/750W helps provide that opportunity whereas today NV/AMD themselves say in slides and manuals that they recommend at least a 500-550W PSU when running any of their performance GPUs.

I'm not saying that antec is cheap and generic at all, but do give a thought of the long term. In the long term, spending an extra $20-$40 for a better PSU will really pay off in the long run.

It really does pay to think about convince overall and unlocking/overclocking isn't for everyone, but that's where things like turbo boost/turbo core come in, requiring no knowledge of overclocking and the hardware does it dynamically for you.
As i said this is what I find best bang for your buck. The AMD 550 BE is processor that was ment to go against Dual and Duo cores as i think E6xxx to E8xxx. But is far superior and has a potential to unlock to quad core. With 6mb cache it does a pritty well job, can you tell me a duo or dual core with that much cache and that low price?

Overclocking your cpu is pritty much certern, just depends how much can you overclock it. Unlocking AMD 550 BE is now pritty certeren with right motherboard.
"955 is only $30 more" yes... than you can look at it like this if you put another 30$ you can get even better one and if you put another 30$ you get even better one than you end up paying 200$ for a cpu and 30 more for psu and 170$ more for 2nd gpu. Ofcorse if you have that much to spend go right ahead. If your going with Budget type than cheaper variant is your answer :)

two gpu cards, depends if he wants that. Some people are just happy with one gpu, so a stronger PSU isn't really needed if he is gonna stay with one gpu. Besides that GTX560 is a 170w GPU so he has plenty of juce to run that GPU + the other parts.

560 GTX will give more than enogh FPS in games, except if he isnt one of those ppl that need to have all games at 100 fps+

I pritty much satisfied with with my 4650 30-60 fps ^^

So Big aftermarket cooler haw? do you really need that much big of a cooler do you really need sub-freezing cpu temp? Agean it depends how much an overclocker are you, if he wants to overclock at all or overclock just a bit. You can use an average 30-40$ aftermarket cooler and still overclock from 3ghz to 3.50 ghz and have bellow 50c using prime95.

and do i need to say this agean: this is what i find best bang for your buck that is cheap, because i dont mind twinking. If i just went and find the peaces for 700-1000$ pfft that whould be easy as pie. But i wanted to make it a budget type.

In the end it's up to him what he wants.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh snap this is nice...Now, if he were to do this eventually, am I missing any valuable support by not buying a prebuilt PC?

This is all good for me personally...However I plan to buy a souped up Mac anyway :p

Best answers
As i said this is what I find best bang for your buck. The AMD 550 BE is processor that was ment to go against Dual and Duo cores as i think E6xxx to E8xxx. But is far superior and has a potential to unlock to quad core. With 6mb cache it does a pritty well job, can you tell me a duo or dual core with that much cache and that low price?

Overclocking your cpu is pritty much certern, just depends how much can you overclock it. Unlocking AMD 550 BE is now pritty certeren with right motherboard.
"955 is only $30 more" yes... than you can look at it like this if you put another 30$ you can get even better one and if you put another 30$ you get even better one than you end up paying 200$ for a cpu and 30 more for psu and 170$ more for 2nd gpu. Ofcorse if you have that much to spend go right ahead. If your going with Budget type than cheaper variant is your answer :)

two gpu cards, depends if he wants that. Some people are just happy with one gpu, so a stronger PSU isn't really needed if he is gonna stay with one gpu. Besides that GTX560 is a 170w GPU so he has plenty of juce to run that GPU + the other parts.

560 GTX will give more than enogh FPS in games, except if he isnt one of those ppl that need to have all games at 100 fps+

I pritty much satisfied with with my 4650 30-60 fps ^^

So Big aftermarket cooler haw? do you really need that much big of a cooler do you really need sub-freezing cpu temp? Agean it depends how much an overclocker are you, if he wants to overclock at all or overclock just a bit. You can use an average 30-40$ aftermarket cooler and still overclock from 3ghz to 3.50 ghz and have bellow 50c using prime95.

and do i need to say this agean: this is what i find best bang for your buck that is cheap, because i dont mind twinking. If i just went and find the peaces for 700-1000$ pfft that whould be easy as pie. But i wanted to make it a budget type.

In the end it's up to him what he wants.
It doesn't change the fact at all that unlocking cores is guranteed to work 100% of the time, even if you combine it with a good bard because its all cpu dependant. Again, AMD disables them for more than one reason and if you unlock them only to find that they are unstable, then you don't have your desired cheap quad core. for the sake of $30~, its just better to get the actual quad core.

Overclocking is something that is luck of the draw - doable on all in one shape or form - but core unlocking IS NOT GURANTEEDED TO WORK 100%

Notice I never said "Spend $30 more on this one or get this one which is $30 more than the one I said before"...

Again, a full-size atx board is preferrable in any case - can you imagine having a long Graphics card blocking your sata ports or front panel (depending on how the board is laid out) on a matx board? Such isn't the case with a full-size board when you want to just add hardware with minium hassel, not requiring you to remove other parts just to add a HDD for example.

AMD stock cooler is noisy and crap depending on your needs and decent aftermarket coolers aren't that expensive if your after something better. Intels aren't bad and are quiet, but both cases depend on CPU load.

PSU is there to give future upgrade some breathing room - Notice I said that AMD/NV recommend at least a 500-550W PSU, so the fact that at least a 650W PSU doesn't cost much more at all is worth some consideration in the long run. You'd be wasting money if in future you find out you need a better PSU in future for a newer card if you only have a 500-550w psu today, which will cost more in the long run when you could of just got it all out of the way by buying a slightly more expensive PSU in the first place - Something you haven't really given a lot of thought about.

I see quite a few scenarios like this everyday at work - and it really does pay to think about long-term and hoe things can be convenient, especially since this isn't a pre-assembled machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom