Want 20 extra fps or more in any game? read this!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah i think messing with explorers reg file is the limit to what i do for fps

just too much of a hassle

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I personally wouldn't go that far just to get more FPS. =/
If I only got 30 or less maybe, but what I get is plenty for the price I put into this computer.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's got to be a joke. I mean, I'd do all that if my life revolved around some games or something, but having to shut down your entire system, edit your registry, reboot, then enable everything and reboot again when you're done is way too much.

Best answers
I think if you really have to do that for some frames then it's time to get off your Pentium II. Upgrade.

Best answers
hehe....never said i use it....was searchen...it came up as a random google result...thoght it mite help...if somone trys this fil me on cause i wana know if this achuly does speed games up :)

ps:before yall flame me for false advertising i just copy pasted from the site where it says it speeds up games

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, editing your registry to get rid of some of the stuff can be dangerous, but also effective. If you know what you're doing then you can speed up your computer by disabling features and services that are useless, but if you don't know what you;re doing, don't touch it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
That's got to be a joke. I mean, I'd do all that if my life revolved around some games or something, but having to shut down your entire system, edit your registry, reboot, then enable everything and reboot again when you're done is way too much.
nope can and would work

however turning off the wrong system or the wrong file could perminantly ruin all the stuff on ur pc

so best not to bother for the 2 extra fps it would give

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, turning them off couldn't PERMANENTLY change your computer. You could turn off the service which lets you use your Ethernet card to access the Internet and wouldn't be able to access it until you reactivated the service..

In any case, System Restore's there for a reason. ^_^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well if u ended up removing say key windows componants then u wouldnt be able to do much other than a total wipe

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Key windows components? If you're using WindowsXP and you remove critical things (Which I'd be surprised it let you, considering they'd most likely be in resident memory, and you'd have to shut them down before deleting the files),

XP automatically restores critical files which you delete. In any case, you'd still be able to System Restore..

I'd recommend doing what Step 1 of this page says (Shutting down all unnecessary services), but to anyone who isn't experienced: leave your Registry alone.

Best answers
i'm tryen out these "mega" tweaks rite now....and windows is worken fine....most of those services, it seems are just to put icons on desktop...give desktop bakground...windows xp interface....noten realy gets loaded when windows starts....so it loads faster....and runen stuf from taskmanager works.....but any microsoft services like system restore and windows update are disabled....good thing its reversible for when a new update to windows comes out....geneerily this gives more resorces to games cause theres les thingies on taken resources...

Best answers
about 95% of programs that run in the background on your computer are either daemons or they take about 1000kb to run, which makes almost no impact on your system. If you have to go so far as to edit the registry to gain an extra 5000kb from 5 random processes running in the background, then I think its time to throw away your 486 and get something new. Granted however, if you are stupid and managed to install a bunch of stuff that runs things in the background that you dont want, then you might want to get rid of stuff like that, otherwise, removing windows system processes is almost no help at all. I know as is I already reach the default cap in hl for fps, and many other games it is the same deal, so messing with all this is just useless.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Key windows components? If you're using WindowsXP and you remove critical things (Which I'd be surprised it let you, considering they'd most likely be in resident memory, and you'd have to shut them down before deleting the files),

XP automatically restores critical files which you delete. In any case, you'd still be able to System Restore..
hmm i guess thats true most of my reg editing experience was on 98

which u quite deffinitly could mess up systems by deleting some things in the reg

Best answers
u only need ONE service to run xp, the remote precedure call service....that service the sasser targets, which is why sasser is such a pain in the a$$, cause u can't disable it...most services are the extra fetures microsoft put in to make xp look bettter and allow there services to run....like wupdate...xp takes more ram 2 run then 98 cause theres more features in it...so turnen te s*** off sorta turns off all te extra features...then again i'm just sayen this cause my comp can stil play games after turnen all of that stuf off.... and services automaticly reenable if u clik somen that needs them on....so i naturally assume itl work for everyone :)

Best answers
Barney's Soul said:
u only need ONE service to run xp, the remote precedure call service....that service the sasser targets, which is why sasser is such a pain in the a$$, cause u can't disable it...most services are the extra fetures microsoft put in to make xp look bettter and allow there services to run....like wupdate...xp takes more ram 2 run then 98 cause theres more features in it...so turnen te s*** off sorta turns off all te extra features...then again i'm just sayen this cause my comp can stil play games after turnen all of that stuf off.... and services automaticly reenable if u clik somen that needs them on....so i naturally assume itl work for everyone :)
Assuming I understood your horrible and SMS-ed spelling, you didn't get the point of this man. The effects will only be worth it if you have a 1 mhz computer or some ****ty 16 mb craphic card.

I have a Geforce4 MX 440 with a 1.53 ghz and I can run any HL mod at 100 FPS, yet I prefer activating AF+AA + Vertical whatever and have better graphics. The fact is...that your 5 mb of memory won't change much to the game, if you have 1go DDR like me.

That's what he meant, I beleive.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Man, I used to tweak my stuff out for performance, but that's taking it a bit too far.

Terminating all services, and explorer.exe too? Most people don't even know where they get spyware from, let alone are capable of doing that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
explorer.exe?

then they wouldnt be able to access their task bar... start menu.. or nothing.. stupid... cuz if u minimize the window you wont get it back -_-

Best answers
I think that's the point. The only thing you would be running is Command Prompt.

And unless you're a DOS guru, better not touch that, or you'll be stuck....forevar!!
But the real reason is that he has too many crap running in the background. Look at what he has on his Systemstart list! Would be just smarter to disable everything there :/

Ice Man : You can use Task Manager to manually run explorer.exe, and it works like a charm when you do.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How the **** can you terminate explorer.exe without rebooting the computer, anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom