Video card

Best answers
Yes, yet another graphics card question from me. But anyway, I wanted to get a new g-card but I cant decide what to get. I need suggestions for a budget video card. the specs I need on the card are

AGP 8x
256mb of ram
at least one Vga port
and I want it no more than $225.00

I found the Sapphire Radeon 9600xt for around $112.00 but I dont know if It would do me good for the next couple of years. What are your opinions on that card and can you find me one for the specs above, uhh please. I was going to get the nVidia 6600gt but i dont know if It would do me good for at least the next few years.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A GeForce 6600GT would last you into next year most likely.

Best answers
Dont want to be pushy, but what do you think of the 9600XT. Do you think it's okay or just completely forget about it. And do you think it will handle all of the games I want to play on it? I want to play farcry, NFS Underground 2, Halo for PC, Half-Life 2 and some other graphically intensive games especially Half-life 2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It will handle those on medium settings, yes. But it's about only 1/2 as fast as a 6600GT.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good choice, the 6600gt is the best card on the market for the budget minded gamer.

Best answers
How much does the 6600gt run, price wise and what are the specs on it? and does it work with AGP 8x or not, because I have the AGP 8x interface.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
200-250 dollars. In fact, go ahead and get a BFG 6800 OC for about 200. You'll be very happy, especially if you can unlock it.

Best answers
What do you mean if i can unlock it? where can i buy the 6600 OC and is it better than the GT or what. and does it have 256 mb of ram or not? sorry for all of the questions. :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
6600 gt

Those are some articles that give specs, and benchmarks and stuff on the 6600gt OC and the 6800 OC. To give you an idea of how they run things like hl2, doom 3, farcry, and other games.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or , you could spend money on a sparkle 6200 and try your luck with unlocking & overclocking that

for more details , look at the guide at http://digital-daily.com

nvidia is actually pwning with the 6 series , if youe gonna goahead and buy one , get an asus one , as the agp version of an asus 6600gt (the top edition ones) actually run at the same speeds as the pc-ie models

Best answers
6600gt should last you a good 2-3 years ivr got **** stuff but i can ran ut04 on fairly high settings and stuff so yeah goodluck...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
or , you could spend money on a sparkle 6200 and try your luck with unlocking & overclocking that

for more details , look at the guide at http://digital-daily.com

nvidia is actually pwning with the 6 series , if youe gonna goahead and buy one , get an asus one , as the agp version of an asus 6600gt (the top edition ones) actually run at the same speeds as the pc-ie models
Getting a 6200, while it's a good idea for a low class GPU, isn't so good for a middle/high class. It won't get near the same results, even when unlocked :/.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah , but then again , it is better to buy , simply considering that soon enough , he may want to move on to pci express maybe , it's what i'm doing if i can find the sparkle card used in that review , using a nv43 revision , not the new nv44a , simply becasue i think they cut those extra pipes all together on nv44a

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even still, a 6600GT or 6800NU is a much better buy. PCI-Express offers no performance benefits over AGP. The next generation of graphics cards is still going to be coming out for AGP, anywho.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes , but did you forget that people will be looking for alot of future proofing

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
i recently bought a 6600gt agp card and the only thing i can say about it ... go for it ^_^
you get alot of performance for the rather low price (compared to other cards )
so i highly recommend it :)

and with some oc'ing later, it should last 2 years or more

just my 2 cents

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
yes , but did you forget that people will be looking for alot of future proofing
I call 2-3 years a lot* of future proofing, considering that's how long you'll probably be able to last with next generation's AGP versions.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry, I'm going to agree with Smith on this, 6600GT is the way to go. Unlocking and OCing a lesser card still won't get you where you want. Don't forget, it seems the person asking doesn't want a PCI-E board. In fact, he asked specifically for AGP 8x.

Best answers
Actually I just made a lot of money over the weekend and now I cant decide between AGP 8x or PCIe. what should I get? i'm leaning towards PCI express and I want a card that will run doom 3 or HL2. If anyone is familiar with the ATI X600-X800 series, what do you think and will it run it. I want to get the X600 Pro or something but I dont know if it will run HL2 or not, and Will it last me for at least the next 3 or 4 years or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom