Video Card Recommendation

Best answers
I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to ask, but I'm after some help in regard to graphics cards as well.

I'm soon going to be building(read: getting the stuff together and having a friend build) a new computer for myself. It's mostly going to be a gaming computer, and the main games I'll need it to be able to play are Battlefield 2, AOE3, perhaps Pariah, and of course, Solitaire. I'm willing to pay around $700-$800 (In Australian money). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
6800GT will play all of those peachy, Silent_Bob. I'm sure the ati counterpart will aswell, but don't expect PS3.

Best answers
700-800 dollars, i'm not sure how much that translates into American cash.. But if the 6800GT is in your range that's a good choice.

But, personally... if i were you... I'd go for a 6600GT and more ram/processing speed. I think that's a better all around bang for your buck.

Best answers
Smith| said:
Yea, that's called an ISA slot and it's even worse than the PCI. PCI:ISA::AGP:pCI
Well, i was searching around ebay today and i found some ATI PCI cards, or atleast thats what they say? do these look legit too you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40159&item=5203790915&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40161&item=5205325332&rd=1

My parents said they would spend $150 on me now so i can get a decent one hopefully but i need to know if there even real?

Best answers
I have to say, if you're going to spend that much money on a pci card. You may just be better of getting a new mobo & an average agp card :(

For $150 you can get a decent mobo/processor combo....

Best answers
I think newegg.com has them, as well as tigerdirect.com

You may also want to check pricewatch.com , and ebay as well if you're a member.

If all else fails just use google, i'll try and find a good combo for that amount of money... I'm busy right now tho :)

The only thing is, that while you get a combo.... you still don't have an agp video card. But you can really save up 70 bucks or so and get a good one for HL games... Or even 50 dollars if you are on a tighter budget.

-----

Scratch the mobo combo idea... While it's what i would do.... I'm not so certain it's the best move for the more beginner`esque individuals.

Another alternative, which i think would fit you very well. Would be to buy a barebones kit. Barebones kits can be found on tigerdirect (newegg as well, but they are much more expensive). They consist of the basic essentials for a novice builder looking to upgrade & customize in the future.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1417186&sku=P459-2000 C

That's a good cheap set-up for your pricetag. I believe the video is onboard graphics, which is nothing to brag about. But this will give you a much better computer than you're probably currently running considering you're on a mobo that has no agp slot. Likely you're on an Pentium 400mhz processor, this set-up contains a 1.8ghz processor. That's a 400%+ increase in speed (assuming you have a 400mhz).

It also has DDR ram, which you're more than likely (well... surely) running SDRAM. DDR ram is twice as fast as SDRAM. So not only are you getting double the ram (set-up comes with 256mb DDR) but you are also getting twice the speed. Also a huge increase. (again, assuming you have 128SDRAM)

The only real faulter is the onboard sound & graphics card. But it will make do as a good replacement computer if you're looking on upgrading for the future at the cheapest price you can get. Once you save up 70 bucks or so after you have purchased this set-up.... I'd post again and start asking about cheap video cards that are worth the performance.

I think that's the best solution to your problem...<3

*edit*
If you're willing to save up a little more (doubtful :)) ,then I would take this set-up http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1359517&sku=A458-2010 E You wont have to buy a new video card, and it's not as much trouble. But it is $300 dollars...

But the other set-up i think is a great solution. And you can get practically just as good a computer for nearly half the price... (not including the video card you are going to want to buy)

Best answers
That's like 300 dollars tho :) which is like... 2.5 times out of his price range :( I still believe the other set-up would be a good cost efficient solution. I mean, the only thing you really need in the first set-up is a new video card. I mean.... There's the Duron processor, but imo those aren't that bad. It's not like it's a celeron. :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
me ? gainward or leadtek (but leadtek cards are losing some of their shine , use to be good in geforce4 days , but now with some higher range cards ther'e disapointing me , if i went with any leadtek card i would choose there 6600gt extreme) Asus ones seem good to , but to pricey (as always they price there stuff higher then the competition , you do get a nice bundle though with some )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom