Upgrading my comp

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then act like you know it, Overlord. You're edging into hypocrisy.
You think I wouldn't of already knew when I did side by side benchmarks when my brother first got a MX440SE........................................... .................................. I'd already know what kind of performance to expect. I would also ask that you would stop insulting me thanks.
Quote:
A 7900GT will be able to play at ENORMOUSLY higher settings than he currently does, lmao.
I was referring to the point mainly on his current hardware......
myself said:
Yes, lesser settings, however Kama mentions he wants to play at higher settings then he currently does.
The lmao in that post was uncalled for. I haven't said that the 7900gt in terms of performance is bad, have I? I belive I didn't, however I also stated my opinion on future hardware in the process. I already know what I can expect from a 7900gt, I just don't see the point in the price premium you'd pay for it when something better is on the way, and not everyone is made of money, it's not something that everyone has a lot of, some more then others and nice for those who can afford luxry. 7600gt would give Kama more then enough performance to last him till a later point in when he feels like he wants to upgrade again, it also makes the overall cost of his upgrade cheaper since he is upgrading other specs aswell.

Sorry Overlord, accidently edited instead of quoted >_>. Post restored.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
The lmao in that post was uncalled for.
There's a reason it was edited out way before you replied. I guess we do share the same thoughts on something.
I haven't said that the 7900gt in terms of performance is bad, have I? I belive I didn't, however I also stated my opinion on future hardware in the process. I already know what I can expect from a 7900gt, I just don't see the point in the price premium you'd pay for it when something better is on the way, and not everyone is made of money, it's not something that everyone has a lot of, some more then others and nice for those who can afford luxry.
So... you don't want him to pay too much now because it's way too much money, but you want him to buy the newest of the newest when it comes out?
7600gt would give Kama more then enough performance to last him till a later point in when he feels like he wants to upgrade again, it also makes the overall cost of his upgrade cheaper since he is upgrading other specs aswell.
I posted links to both a 7600GT and a 7900GT and he chose the 7900GT. It was his choice entirely.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MCA denied Overlord. Now, lets keep the inflammitory language to a minimum.

[/moderation]

I've been looking at your dilemma for a while Kama, and I have to agree with most of Smith's and Overlord's original agreements.

Your current machine sucks, and sucks hardcore.

SDRAM is a sure way to bottleneck anything, I've seen it on many store bought Celeron systems, and it's pretty horrible. That ram only runs at 133 mhz compared to a system that wants a 800mhz fsb to run at full tilt. That should illustrate your problem some. And it's because Intel refused to use any high speed solutions for ram but RAMBUS for so long, that it's possible to use P1 and P2 speed ram on a P4 o_O

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade as well, and as Smith said, I intend to hold of for AMD's 939 slash. AM2 is too expensive, and DDR2 can be a little weak on the timings, my DDR 3200 has lower latency than some faster DDR2 clocked at 533 vs my 400.

That being said, I have to spend about 750 to build an AM2 box, and only $500 for a 939 right now. I intend to build a 939 for cost reasons, but a 939 should be a good solution for the next few years.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
There's a reason it was edited out way before you replied. I guess we do share the same thoughts on something.So... you don't want him to pay too much now because it's way too much money, but you want him to buy the newest of the newest when it comes out?I posted links to both a 7600GT and a 7900GT and he chose the 7900GT. It was his choice entirely.
I was tryying to also consider the amount of money kama was wanting to spend and the current parts out in the process, and then stated my opinion on why I thought it was a better option to get the mid range product due to the overall cost. HDMI 1.3 specs were also recently announced (I won't go explaining the details about it now, but you should be able to find the facts about it using a search engine), so should HDMI become another point that ways out another upgrade or becomes a need (i probably should of mentioned it my earlier posts, and probably would of made a lot more sense for my difference of opinions should I have mentioned it).

You wanting to end debate now?, I feel as Iv'e made as much a point as I can apart from other things.

@Cucumba: Iv'e found some DDR2 667mhz kits in simlar price ranges to some DDR400 kits, and there are inexpensive AM2 boards around, with probably a few more along the way. I should consider different curencies and pricing throughout the globe though, and price drops.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
@Cucumba: Iv'e found some DDR2 667mhz kits in simlar price ranges to some DDR400 kits, and there are inexpensive AM2 boards around, with probably a few more along the way. I should consider different curencies and pricing throughout the globe though, and price drops.
While your point is valid for Kama, it is not for me. I'm running a Nforce2 Mobo that takes PC3200, and I can easily use my 1GB kit on a 939 board.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
While your point is valid for Kama, it is not for me. I'm running a Nforce2 Mobo that takes PC3200, and I can easily use my 1GB kit on a 939 board.
An Asrock DualSATA2 mainboard might be down your alley should a AM2 upgrade become something of interest in the future. It has an add-in card for AM2 and ddr2 memory support, while the board itself is a socket939 board that has both AGP and PCI Express. I'm guessing since Devion has this board that will most likely buy this add-in card if I'm guessing correctly =P. Imo, truly unique board that future proofs in a lot of ways. I'm not demanding that you get one, but it seems like a truly unique and inexpensive upgrade in the future without the need for you to change your mainboard in the future if you buy the DualSATA2 mainboard. I'm still yet to see owners of these boards go out and buy a add-in card to see how they work.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
An Asrock DualSATA2 mainboard might be down your alley should a AM2 upgrade become something of interest in the future. It has an add-in card for AM2 and ddr2 memory support, while the board itself is a socket939 board that has both AGP and PCI Express. I'm guessing since Devion has this board that will most likely buy this add-in card if I'm guessing correctly =P. Imo, truly unique board that future proofs in a lot of ways. I'm not demanding that you get one, but it seems like a truly unique and inexpensive upgrade in the future without the need for you to change your mainboard in the future if you buy the DualSATA2 mainboard. I'm still yet to see owners of these boards go out and buy a add-in card to see how they work.
You're derailing the thread even more, Overlord. I'm sure Cucumba appreciates your advice, but I'm also sure Kama doesn't appreciate you stealing his thread. If you have protest to this post, don't reply here as it'll continue to derail the thread. Instead send it to the respective administrator (Cucumba, Karrde, Majin_You when he gets back in three weeks, Sonic_Boyster).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom