Upgrading my comp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...right, because for some reason I feel like blowing $3000 on a computer to run WoW.

Are you even aware that certain objects have different values?

Don't worry, I reported his post in good fun =P ~Smith|

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
USSJ_Gohan said:
and what about alienware ??? you must buy a one
Alienware is really a ripoff. They may look cool to some people, but they vastly overcharge for what you can get off a site, such as newegg.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
You're in Canada, but you should be able to find those on whatever online store you're ordering from.
Indeed. I often find that http://www.ncix.com has a similar selection, as well as some decent prices (plus, it's Canadian). If you're looking to not order in from the US, I'm sure you can find everything Smith has recommended over at NCIX.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Only thing is once you get all this stuff, you'll probably have to hire someone to install it for you :) Sure RAM and graphics are easy enough to put in, but its a beyotch to replace a processor. One bad move and you're sunk. Plus lots to worry about with that cooling paste they put on the spot the processor sits on.

Hey, I noticed my video card wasn't on any of your lists. How does a 256 MB ATI Radeon "X700 Pro" compare in the runnings?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Only thing is once you get all this stuff, you'll probably have to hire someone to install it for you :) Sure RAM and graphics are easy enough to put in, but its a beyotch to replace a processor. One bad move and you're sunk. Plus lots to worry about with that cooling paste they put on the spot the processor sits on.
Putting a processor is just as simple as everything else. As long as you have it aligned right, just drop it into the socket and lower the handle.

Hey, I noticed my video card wasn't on any of your lists. How does a 256 MB ATI Radeon "X700 Pro" compare in the runnings?
Not as good.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Really? Hmm...it can run any game I throw at it at max graphics settings in stride, even BF2. It handles ESF without breaking a sweat.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't say it wasn't good, I said it wasn't as good. Go play HL2 Episode 1 with 6x antialiasing and HDR on. See how well it handles that.
It handles ESF without breaking a sweat.
Almost any 3d accelerated video card can.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kama said:
Sry. T_T

Windows XP
Pentium 4 CPU 2.00GHz (400mhz FSB, 4x100mhz)
512mb RAM (PC133 SD RAM)
RADEON 9000 Series AGP (0x4966)

And, I dunno. Let's just assume I have an average amount of money. I don't know the pricing on anything so I don't know what is a fair price.

Lemme know if you need more.
Spunky said:
There's nothing wrong with your system. You should be able to run WoW just fine. Perhaps it's time for a reformat?
Lol, you really think there's nothing wrong with his system, yet he comes here to create a thread asking for advice on what he should do about upgrading his pc. If you look back at the last page, a lot of the useful info that he needs to know about his current setup and further upgrades done to it and what they would result in is back there. That's just like sayying reformat a 486 if windows 98 runs slow on it, and no matter what you do it will always run like a slow peace of crap. If you have ever played Battlefield 2 on a pc with minium processor and ram specs and have a good graphics card in that machine, you'll understand perfectly that it'll still run like a dog. That's bottlenecking for you.
Kurt said:
if you feel like listening to idiots who don't know anything about how the internet/computers work (not entirely dissimilar from ESF's Tech Bench section)
Kurt made a good point there, however I'd just say they aren't as smart, not idiots when it comes down to the judgement line ;).
Ehhh? ~Smith|
Wtf Smith|? Editing my post is Evil, and h4x ;O ~|Overlord|

Best answers
Smith, Overlord actually knows what the **** he is talking about... not to be disrespectful, but it seems to me that the only reason why you threw that comment in there is because you dont like Overlord.

Now dont take this wrong, we're both friends man. Im not trying to be mean here... Im just stating my opinion on this.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Smith, Overlord actually knows what the **** he is talking about... not to be disrespectful, but it seems to me that the only reason why you threw that comment in there is because you dont like Overlord.

Now dont take this wrong, we're both friends man. Im not trying to be mean here... Im just stating my opinion on this.
First, I think Smith's comment was directed at the fact that Overlord, before touching up his statement, was being, for the most part, rather disrespectful to Tech Bench regulars (originally, he quoted Kurt and simply stated, "Kurt made a good point there.") I don't believe the comment was thrown in there to discredit the factual content of the post, merely to illustrate that the final comment in the post was not acceptible.

Secondly, if anyone has a gripe with what a moderator has done, a public setting is not the place to be posting it. It derails the thread, and it might go over the heads of people who should be informed (ie: administrators). Please keep those kinds of comments to the PM system or, barring that, IM's.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Sometimes I wish I wasn't a moderator for various posting reasons.
Majin_You said:
First, I think Smith's comment was directed at the fact that Overlord, before touching up his statement, was being, for the most part, rather disrespectful to Tech Bench regulars (originally, he quoted Kurt and simply stated, "Kurt made a good point there.") I don't believe the comment was thrown in there to discredit the factual content of the post, merely to illustrate that the final comment in the post was not acceptible.
Majin_You nailed it directly on the head.

Best answers
He was being disrespectful? Man, i need to pay attention more.... Well, sorry Smith, didn't mean to disrespect you man. I hope you dont lose any respect for me because of what I said.

Anyway... Kama, how's the upgraing coming? You buy the parts yet?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Anyway... Kama, how's the upgraing coming? You buy the parts yet?
I'm just waiting for my paycheck to go through, then i'm going to order the parts and see what I can do about trying to find someone to help me install them. I'm really hardware inept and don't wanna mess up my computer, but I also don't wanna get ripped off paying for an installation.

I was thinking I might be able to find a place to install the components for free if I bought all the hardware from their store cause it is a substantial purchase. But that might end up costing me more than just ordering online or something.

I dunno, anyone tried either of those methods and have advice?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If there's a Fry's store anywhere in the region, buy the stuff there. They have the cheapest prices, they almost have eveything half-price. Unfortunately their customer service sucks.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
If there's a Fry's store anywhere in the region, buy the stuff there. They have the cheapest prices, they almost have eveything half-price. Unfortunately their customer service sucks.
If their customer service is crap then I wouldn't bother with it. If something has to be returned because it may not be functioning properly and their customer service is not good then you can almost gurantee that they must not have very good customer relations. I'd rather go to a good store where the customer relations are better. Why go to a store with good prices but bad customer service?.
Majin_You said:

Secondly, if anyone has a gripe with what a moderator has done, a public setting is not the place to be posting it. It derails the thread, and it might go over the heads of people who should be informed (ie: administrators). Please keep those kinds of comments to the PM system or, barring that, IM's.
I agreed with Kurt's point, however I don't think I can be blamed really for posting what someone else said, in light of his opinion I did agree with it, however I then took the time to verify the post a little more stating as to why I'd need to say more if I agreed with his opinion. It's just when it comes down to the actual fact though that it was stated through out the first page of the thread that bottlenecking would occur. The fact that I agreed with his point though is probably just the same as someone that agrees with anoteh statement in another thread. While it did seem close to a flame however, I checked with Pain on irc before posting such a post.
disrespectful to Tech Bench regulars
Tech Bench regulars know who they are ;) (Other then myself, Smith, Walmart, Devion, Kurt and other people to most likely solve problems being DragonDude, Alea and Cucumba), People that I will see post regulary in here that are most likely to get a problem solved with their knowledge. There are of course others I may have not mentioned, however these are usually the latter that will most likely solve a person's problem.

The fact that you had to explain the comment in order to remove any edge from it, though, implies that the original use of the comment can be viewed as disrespectful to the people who post in this section. While you aren't responsible for the fact that Kurt posted that comment elsewhere, you are in complete control of whether or not you want to reiterate that statement. However, you cannot justify the comment as "not disrespectful" simply because it was posted by someone else. ~Majin_You

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
I agreed with Kurt's pint, however I don't think I can be blamed really for posting what someone else said.
You can when you use it in your own post as an aid to an insult. Keep that in mind. Discussion closed (discussion, not thread).

Best answers
Kama said:
I'm just waiting for my paycheck to go through, then i'm going to order the parts and see what I can do about trying to find someone to help me install them. I'm really hardware inept and don't wanna mess up my computer, but I also don't wanna get ripped off paying for an installation.

I was thinking I might be able to find a place to install the components for free if I bought all the hardware from their store cause it is a substantial purchase. But that might end up costing me more than just ordering online or something.

I dunno, anyone tried either of those methods and have advice?
Alright, what all are you getting anyway? Just the videocard and Processor?

It should be easy for you to install a new videocard... same for the processor, just a bit harder when it comes to taking off the cpu fan... nontheless, its pretty easy, you should be able to get it by yourself.

But if you dont feel comfortable doing it on your own, then I'd take it up to a shop and have them install the hardware for you.

If you do decide to do it yourself, and you need a little help, then I'll be happy to help you on Instant messanger (and im sure Smith or Overlord would help also, but I cant speak for them :/ )

and a little advice, if it takes quite a bit of force to put the new hardware in, then you are probably not doing it right. And this especially goes for the processor.

It should slip in the CPU socket very easily (under its own weight actually). Just be sure to lift the ZIF pin before replacing the processor, and be sure the processor is facing the correct way, if not, your pin's can become bent.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Alright, what all are you getting anyway? Just the videocard and Processor?

It should be easy for you to install a new videocard... same for the processor, just a bit harder when it comes to taking off the cpu fan... nontheless, its pretty easy, you should be able to get it by yourself.

But if you dont feel comfortable doing it on your own, then I'd take it up to a shop and have them install the hardware for you.

If you do decide to do it yourself, and you need a little help, then I'll be happy to help you on Instant messanger (and im sure Smith or Overlord would help also, but I cant speak for them :/ )

and a little advice, if it takes quite a bit of force to put the new hardware in, then you are probably not doing it right. And this especially goes for the processor.

It should slip in the CPU socket very easily (under its own weight actually). Just be sure to lift the ZIF pin before replacing the processor, and be sure the processor is facing the correct way, if not, your pin's can become bent.
THere's no point in upgrading his Processor in his current setup since his mainboard won't support a faster fsb speed, it also uses sd memory. If he gets a graphics card and puts it in his current setup, the graphics card will be bottlenecked.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best answers
Holy ****, you are getting all of that? Man.... Well, Like i said previously, if you feel comfortable to do it yourself... then do it. If you need some help, you can IM me if you'd like. But for not knowing much about computer hardware.. I'd take it up to get professionally installed.

smith said:
Wait just a little while before buying and AMD will have a good price drop.
You are waiting for the AMD processor that you should buy to drop in price. It'd be well worth it if you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom