Tweaking ESF for better FPS

Best answers
ok im currently tweaking the graphics to make fps higher, yes that means making them worse. My problem is although I achiieve 30+ more fps, in advanced melee the arrows are all blury. What half-life command controls the visual quality of the arrows in advanced melee?

Best answers
does anyone know i really cant play if the arrows are too bloury to read, does the team prehaps know, as they created the game?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the best thing we have is this thread which is from 1.1. A lot of the cvars are outdated and won't work, but it should help you out a bit.

Best answers
the 1.1 guide dosent have advanced melle, and thus no arrow system.

Does anyone understand my question or what??

there must be a console command that controls the sharpness of the arrows I see in advanced melle, i want to know that console command so i cant increse the arrows sharpness so i can read them.

Best answers
no even 640x480 is good enough to show clear arrows so you can tell what they are, my problem is when i use hltoolz to drop graphics details to get better fps, the arrows turn all blury, i need to know the console command, ie glcull 1, that controls how clear the arrows are, cause i can't play with blury ones

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
perhaps wou could help you better if you provide us a screenshot of what you mean. i never heared of blurry arrows before >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Me either. Unless of course you are stuck in Software mode...

Try changing your renderer to openGL.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You probably dropped the texture filtering down a lot and/or the mip map level down a lot.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Smith I use gl_nearest_mipmap_nearest and it never affects my arrows, and that's as low as it goes texture-wise (Pathetic that I have to do this with my system, by the way). So I think him being stuck in software mode is more likely to be the problem.

Hltools isn't helping either, I wager.

Best answers
im not noob in this stuff im in opengl not software mode.

isnt there some console command that controls how clear the arrows are? likeare the arrows textures or sprites?

sure ill put up a screen later, of te blury arrows

Best answers
I don't recall there ever being a command which affects arrow quality, either that program of yours did it (have you tried without, if possible?) or maybe the sprites just got messed up somehow. Driver settings might also have it's influence, might want to check/change those (if you know what you're doing of course).

Best answers
I am 110% sure that there is a command that controls the arrow visual quality, because the tweak program i got uses half-life commands to lower grapical detail for higher fps. So THAT means that one of the commands this tweak program is putting into autoewxic.cfg must be affecting the arrow visual quality. I wana know what command controls the visual quality of them so when i run my tweak program i can adjust this command for arrows to be at a higher detail level while leaving everything else at low.

once someone gives me the command i can show yall just how crappy i can make esf look ;) while of course keeping the advanced melee arrows looking good.

EDIT: to poster above, when i delete the tweaks that are created by the hltoolz program, THE ARROWS ARE FINE, ITS NOT A DRIVER PROBLEM, NOT MY COMPS PROBLEM, OK PEOPLE PLZ STOP SAYING INCRESE RESOLUTION OR GET NEW DRIVERS.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
how about you check this tweaking commands one by one then untill you find the one that affects the arrows...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or, alternately, you could get rid of that hltools thing, since that is causing the problem.

Check to see if it's got 24 bit textures enabled.

For the record, you should have made more of a point earlier in this thread that HLtools is lowering the arrow detail. There is no "ESF" command that does this, so we are all probably confused about that.

Best answers
i found the esf command causeing this, problem fixed.

100fps very crappy graphics but good arrews

Best answers
Whats your system specs? And give me a link to HLtools.

Thx.
Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom