truck keeps blowing fuses, auto savvy people come hither.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First off i do realize that a DBZ based pc game message board is not the target audience for this subject, but who knows. Im not the only old fart here (26) so perhaps theres hope for someone having an answer.

I have a 90 model GMC sierra, ran great for the first few weeks. But I noticed one night that the lights that light up my gauges were off, Now i dont know jack crap about trucks but from what i DID know it sounded like a blown fuse.

Sure enough, the 20 watt fuse (that also keeps my tail-lights on O_O) was blown, replacing this fuse DID fix the problem for a while. However, just the other night i noticed the same thing. But now its blowing the 20w fuses as soon as i hit the lights. A friend of mine told me to try a higher capacity fuse, and that worked for about 24 hours before it popped that one (25w). I was told not to go much higher as that could damage my lights so im going to quit trying that right now and I am looking to get it properly fixed. Else I may wind up changing out the fuse every morning >_>.

my question is, what most likely is the problem? and how much would it cost to get it fixed.

worth noting I have no idea what im talking about, so i may have the words wrong :rolleyes:, but i explained it as best i could.

its a problem, I cannot afford to fix it without a job, and i cant get a job without my truck >_>.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm.. Lemme talk to my Dad about and it see what I can do for you.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm no motor expert but checking the wiring around it for a short circuit might help.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You need to have your alternator tested for a bad diode or regulator. It sounds like it's overcharging, and that may eventually damage other things like your radio or ignition computer, which gets very costly to repair. There's no way to do this with out a multimeter and a skilled technician though. If you do have a multimeter, and you can figure out how to use it I can tell you if your system is bad should you get the numbers to me, but then I can't very well fix your alternator from here.

Either way it is usually a serious problem and requires repair immediately.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are a few tricks though you can use, but by no means sure fire. try to find out what makes it blow. You have electrical locks? Engage/disengage them, see if anything blows. Start the engine/turn it off. Anything? Lights, turn signals, tail lights, reverse lights, radio, etc. Do them one at a time. If something happens, see if it'd reproduceable. We found some faulty electrical locks in my old car, we cut the wires and it never blew again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom