Thread practicing #1- Religion

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have my own beliefs though strongly based on catholic beliefs since well im catholic. I just use my own interpretations of the bible and ignore most of what priests say.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I respect everyone's right to believe, but I don't believe myself. Don't force your religion on anyone who doesn't want to hear about it, and don't use it as an excuse in areas like politics, that's pretty much how I feel about religion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I consider religious belief to be a form of mental illness in the category of paranoid delusions. I have no respect for it, nor will I ever. That's not to say I punch religious people in the face on the account of them being religious.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I consider religious belief to be a form of mental illness in the category of paranoid delusions. I have no respect for it, nor will I ever. That's not to say I punch religious people in the face on the account of them being religious.
*Handcuffs self to other side of office.*

That's alright arrogant elitist, I know you're a softy, deep down.

I'm deeply spiritual, and devoutly Christian. I am between denominations, but I support having an understanding with god rather than having a submissive relationship with the organized churches. I do not support bigotry hiding behind the bible, read it again . . . and again, until you get it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I fail to see how it's arrogant or elitist to consider religious belief a mental illness. It literally fits all of the signs for paranoid delusion. By the same logic, it's arrogant and elitist to assume such a divine being would give a crap what you're up to.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm an atheist, and I am totally against the current war between atheist and religious people. Even though, in my opinion, it is such a waste of time and potential to believe in such lies (again, in my opinion), everyone has the right to do and believe and whatever the hell he/she wants...

This outdoor was placed in my town, it reads "Religion does not define character, Charles Chaplin does not believe in god, Adolf Hitler believes in god, say no to prejudice against atheists."

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think religion has its place, and there are certainly tenets that people should internalize and abide by provided they separate the dogma and mythology from the philosophy unless the former is being used expressly to illustrate the latter through the use of metaphor or parable. I don't view it as a mental illness, as to me absolutists from either a religious background or a science background are essentially the same, albeit separated by degree in the way hot and cold are. Absolutism is a form of ignorance, and it is quite treatable provided one's mind is not closed to anything that may disrupt their set of beliefs, be it scientific, religious or otherwise.

Last edited:
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I fail to see how it's arrogant or elitist to consider religious belief a mental illness. It literally fits all of the signs for paranoid delusion. By the same logic, it's arrogant and elitist to assume such a divine being would give a crap what you're up to.
Seriously, you are assigning my beliefs (arbitrarily, as you have no background in psychology, nor a psyche profile on me) to mental illness and then get bent out of shape when I return fire? You do not believe it, and you believe that believing in it is a sign of mental illness. I have never heard such smug contempt for another human being, or his beliefs. Arrogant and Elitist on all counts.

This exchange is over.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I wouldn't call them mentally ill, although some people do have the same symptoms, but more like shortsighted.
Religion has passed it's cause, a line of rules to the society.

+1 for making such a post, I always tend to be more carefull

And come on, the world is round, earth spins around the sun and not the other way around, and some more scientific facts the catholic church stated blasphemy for years.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find it interesting how the vast majority of the world is religious, yet the internet seems like this vast sea of nonbelievers.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not particularly interested in religion and the like. As long as you're not trying to force it onto someone else or using it as an excuse to hurt someone, you're free to believe what you want. The same goes for atheists, it's just as bad telling people they're all wrong - no matter how strong you think the evidence is. Religion or atheism doesn't determine whether someone's nice or not. Both have their fair share of meanies.

Best answers
I define myself as agnostic, that being said I don't dismiss the possibility of the existence of a higher power. On the other hand, I don't dismiss the scientific explanation either. And I think that there's still room for speculating and giving new answers to questions both religion and science attempt to answer, as we do not know everything about everything yet, and there are near infinite possibilities.

I also think that we humans have slurred religion, not only to the level where it no longer has much to do with the individual's relationship with his or her deity, but that if there truly were a God, he (or she) is probably hitting his/her head against a brick wall for creating us in the first place. But hey, that's just my opinion.

The Bible is a good example. Now, some people say that it isn't to be taken literally, and I agree with that. But I don't think it's the word of God. It's just a book. That's not to say God necessarily doesn't exist, just that we're taking the wrong approach in respecting and communing with him. Religion is simply a tradition, after all, and I believe that each individual should forge their own relationship with God, through their own belief, without any need of a temple or a holy book, for those are just the products of an uneducated, frightened mind.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I define myself as agnostic, that being said I don't dismiss the possibility of the existence of a higher power. On the other hand, I don't dismiss the scientific explanation either. And I think that there's still room for speculating and giving new answers to questions both religion and science attempt to answer, as we do not know everything about everything yet, and there are near infinite possibilities.
Atheists can be agnostic just as much as religious people can be agnostic. "Agnostic" is not a faith, it is accepting that it is illogical to maintain that "there is no god" or "there is a god" when no one can possibly know. That being said, it is not illogical to say something is false if logic dictates that it is. For instance, I cannot say that there is no form of divine being, because I do not know, and I have no evidence to support that claim. I can, however, say, that most known religions with any amount of detail in them appear to be either hypocritical, completely mistaken, or nonsensical, because that's what the evidence reveals/indicates.

Religion or atheism doesn't determine whether someone's nice or not. Both have their fair share of meanies.
True. I'm an ******* because I'm an *******, not because I'm an atheist.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Atheists can be agnostic just as much as religious people can be agnostic. "Agnostic" is not a faith, it is accepting that it is illogical to maintain that "there is no god" or "there is a god" when no one can possibly know. That being said, it is not illogical to say something is false if logic dictates that it is. For instance, I cannot say that there is no form of divine being, because I do not know, and I have no evidence to support that claim. I can, however, say, that most known religions with any amount of detail in them appear to be either hypocritical, completely mistaken, or nonsensical, because that's what the evidence reveals/indicates.

True. I'm an ******* because I'm an *******, not because I'm an atheist.
The bold is purely opinion and isn't dictated by logic. It's your perspective formed by your experiences that brings you to that conclusion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Occam's razor would beg to differ. Believing in a God isn't all that inherently nonsensical before you start attributing this god with falsifiable attributes. Most if not all religions contradict themselves, and have numerous problems with logic. That isn't opinion, that is fact.

Assuming that you will go to a place called "Heaven" because a man supposedly called "Jesus" supposedly was the son of something called a "God", and in fact the only "God", and supposedly killed himself for your sins, and supposedly rose from the dead...

Now that's more along the lines of nonsensical, because it's assumption based on assumption based on assumption based on assumption with no evidence in between.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Occam's razor would beg to differ. Believing in a God isn't all that inherently nonsensical before you start attributing this god with falsifiable attributes. Most if not all religions contradict themselves, and have numerous problems with logic. That isn't opinion, that is fact.

Assuming that you will go to a place called "Heaven" because a man supposedly called "Jesus" supposedly was the son of something called a "God", and in fact the only "God", and supposedly killed himself for your sins, and supposedly rose from the dead...

Now that's more along the lines of nonsensical, because it's assumption based on assumption based on assumption based on assumption with no evidence in between.
Occam's razor isn't the end all, be all explanation, especially since, "Why is the sky blue? God did it." is by far the simplest explanation one can give. As for falsifiable attributes, list them. Religions contradict themselves if you believe their holy texts to be a single narrative written by a single person with a single perspective. If I were to view scientific texts in the same way, one might think leeching to cure the flu was as valid as using modern medicine. I think we can both agree this isn't the case. Times change, people change. What was valid long ago, in terms of specifics, may not be valid today. The core teachings, however, may still apply, and as far as religion goes, I think this is the case.

Assuming that once one dies, one simply ceases to exist is no more ridiculous a notion than once one dies, one's essence goes elsewhere or becomes something else or joins what will eventually become a whole. You won't know until it happens. You view religions as being separate entities, all with very different beliefs. I view religion the way I view scientific fields. Many parts to a whole. All have the same principles, all have benefits, all have their drawbacks. I view religion as man's pursuit to understand the Universe through another perspective, with the various theologies being simply parts of an elephant, eventually creating the animal in its entirety should you choose to zoom out just a bit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Occam's razor isn't the end all, be all explanation, especially since, "Why is the sky blue? God did it." is by far the simplest explanation one can give.
This is not how Occam's razor works. It's not about the simplest explanation, but the fewest unfounded assumptions. There is no reason to think "God did it", because God is also an assumption. The sky is blue for an entirely different reason (Rayleigh scattering and whatnot) which makes significantly fewer and less ridiculous assumptions.

As for falsifiable attributes, list them.
Okay, name a religion you want me to show falsifiable attributes for.

Religions contradict themselves if you believe their holy texts to be a single narrative written by a single person with a single perspective.
Then you just ruled out quite a few religions as even having the option of being true, pointing out that any religion with falsifiable attributes tends to fail, and fail hard in a trial of logic or fact.

If I were to view scientific texts in the same way, one might think leeching to cure the flu was as valid as using modern medicine.
This is false. A scientific paper is valid by merit of the facts and observations it presents. It doesn't require faith, it requires simple logic. A scientific paper also never indicates that it is completely correct; and generally includes its degrees of error, and what assumptions have been made that need to be verified for the paper to be correct. A scientific paper is also never evidence in itself. A scientific fact is valid by merit of repetition, not by single instance.

What you call science in the "olden days" was not science, and no one ever called it science. Science is based on scientific method, and scientific method does not allow what you just said to be true. That is in its definition. Science is never wrong, because science never claims to be right. It provides evidence, from which one can eventually draw conclusions. The more evidence a hypothesis has, the more likely it is to be correct.

If a scientific paper was written on using leeching to cure the flu, then it would provide statistical data, not to mention would have to go through rigorous peer review. This doesn't apply to modern times. It applies to all times.

Assuming that once one dies, one simply ceases to exist is no more ridiculous a notion than once one dies, one's essence goes elsewhere or becomes something else or joins what will eventually become a whole. You won't know until it happens.
Your flaw here is that whereas there is only one option for atheism, there is an infinite amount of options for religion. We know enough about neuroscience to fairly certainly say that our mental processes are a result of chemical reactions in the brain. Synapses, axons, myelin, what have you. There is evidence that cognitive function exists without the need to present a divine, ethereal magnitude to it. There is no evidence to support that cognitive function exists only because of such a divine, ethereal magnitude. Again, a case of Occam's razor.

You view religions as being separate entities, all with very different beliefs. I view religion the way I view scientific fields. Many parts to a whole. All have the same principles, all have benefits, all have their drawbacks. I view religion as man's pursuit to understand the Universe through another perspective, with the various theologies being simply parts of an elephant, eventually creating the animal in its entirety should you choose to zoom out just a bit.
The difference here being that scientific fields actually are different fields. Mathematics is the study of numbers, physics is the study of physical mechanisms and forces, chemistry is the study of reactions, and biology is essentially a subcategory of chemistry and social sciences which attempt to explain both the more specific chemistry involving biological life and the interactions between biological life and biological life, and the interactions between biological life and static chemistry and physics.

Religion can boast no such thing. Obviously I can't tell you to "view" things differently, because your view is a view, and not fact.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
approx 2bn christians and 1.8bn muslims, this is an overestimate. REAL figures would be somwhere between 1.2bn christians 1bn muslims .
I don't count jews because there numbers are too small. The major concern with this society is that people think that it is essentially GODLESS, this is not true as it only APPEARS to be. In reality the society we live in is built around the 'HOLY LAND' and there are many instances in history to prove it. The 'HOLY LAND' is also connected to the 'unwritten' modern western civilization's concept of the end of history.

Now you may be wondering why am I saying this? Well, the few individuals who basically own 'america' are creating a generation which is DEVOID of religion, atheists nowadays are just a successful project of theres and nothing more. No matter how logical you think they are in there answers and how convincing they maybe, they are just brainwashed like the rest of the population.

For goodness sake's you have people like RICHARD DAWKIN'S on yourside, he's a TOTAL MUPPET.

YEAH WHERE ALL GOD'S IN OUR CONCIOUSNESS, LET'S GO FALL OF A CLIFF AND LEVITATE BACK UP AGAIN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom