The truth about PS3's backward compatib......

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks like the PS3's backwards compatibility is not all that it's cracked up to be. Word from the Land of the Rising Sun is that several older PlayStation games, including those in the Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy series, don't work properly on Sony's latest ?berconsole. Sony has admitted as such and says the glitches?audio problems and graphics irregularities?will will be fixed with a future online update. How nice of them.
Source:http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/ps3-backwards-compatability-flawed-214582.php

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
anyone tried playing some of the original xbox games on their 360 consoles? gotta download a fix for most of those too.

Best answers
Alright say Sony never fixes it.... Are u really going to give up the PS3 because it's backwards compatibility is a bit blocky?

Off Topic:
I never found out how the PS3 is suppose to connect online... can someone clear this up for me?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When this same argument is held against the big N (the old "Graphics aren't important" bit), the reaction is entirely different....

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Graphics aren't everything. However, when you play a video game, then try to play it on a new console, (that's supposed to play it, and to our expecations, play it as well as the older console can) we tend to get a little pissed.

If GCN's games, or N64 games or any game for that matter had worse graphics on the wii i'd be pissed too. So don't bring up Nintendo in a thread that's about sony.

It's not that we hate sony because they did a ****ty job, it's that we hate sony for doing a ****ty job.

:EDIT: however, if there is absolutely no possible way to make the graphics look the same: Then i take that back. It's not sony's fault. Why blame them for something they can't control?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well it was always my assumption that it would look weird just because of all the high res output and that crazy video card. That aside backwards compatibility is all but irrelevant once the launch lineup has been supplemented with some good post-launch stuff. I mean, it's such a huge technological leap from one PS to the next, most people I know never even bothered with the backward compatibility stuff just because there were so many other options it didn't even occur to them.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FFVII, and FFVIII were the only games i played after the ps2 was released, and i played those on my pc.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I played Xenogears a few times on my PS2.

I really don't see what the big deal about backward compatibility is. I'm not going to get a PS3 so that I can play PS2 or PSX games. I'm getting a PS3 so I can play PS3 games.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That is pretty much how I see it, too. With the Wii the backwards compatibility (read: rebuying of old stuff) is a key element of it's selling point. The PS3 has it as more of like, a supplemental feature.

Besides I'm sure it varies WILDLY from game to game, anyhow.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That is pretty much how I see it, too. With the Wii the backwards compatibility (read: rebuying of old stuff) is a key element of it's selling point. The PS3 has it as more of like, a supplemental feature.

Riiiiidge Racerrrrrrrr~

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is also the same thing we saw when going from PS1 to PS2. PS2 didn't utilize a lot of the filtering tricks and whatnot which caused a lot of the PS1 games to not be as clean as before. This is just more problematic due to Analog > HD.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Actually, the VC (virtual console) is no more than a supplemental feature, too. It's not nearly advertised to the same extent as the controller and the Wii-specific titles. Add to that fact that you're going to be spending $5, bare minimum, to get a VC title and the fact that the internet is crawling with sites that offer emulators and ROM's (though, technically, not legitimate unless you own a hard copy of the game, but we'll discard that for the obvious reasons that few people actually appear to care about legitimacy when using an emulator, heh), and I don't really see how the VC is a big selling point for the Wii. Lastly, throw in the fact that the VC really doesn't have a huge variety of titles yet, and you can arrive at the conclusion that buying a Wii for its VC is just about as senseless as buying a PS3 to play your library of PS2 titles. My opinion - not fact (as is the case with most points in these threads).

I agree, though, that the backwards compatibility of the PS3 (which, essentially, is either just playing old stuff that your PS2 could, or buying more PS2 games in a market that [hopefully] will begin to favor the PS3 - gotta move the old titles after the PS2 is in the cellar, after all) is not something to work one's self in knots about. It would be a bit of a stretch to to try and justify the PS3 as something that one would buy JUST to have the ability to stick in old games. It should be a feature that works in a satisfactory manner regardless of whether or not it is in the spotlight, though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dont throw your glorious ps2's out just yet.

but the gamecube... junk it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom