The Steam Universe is Expanding

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
I actually see myself using Steam OS quite significantly! I love playing games on my laptop, while sitting at the sofa and having the TV on. But it just can't run that many good games at higher details, however installing Steam OS on a new partition I am able to stream more demanding games from my desktop to my laptop with great quality! I just hope it will run as good as they advertise it will!

EDIT: I do wonder however if somehow Steam would enable this streaming feature to games outside the Steam library :O

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I love how on Steam Os you can run all versions of OS on it.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
2nd reveal is pretty much Steambox yeah. The third one, looking at the picture, can be the Oculus Rift or something like that. However, I'm thinking it should be Source 2.0 or something for HL3, TF3 etc! But Oculus Rift bundle or partnership makes more sense to me. That would really work with the "living room experience" they are pushing here.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I predict that HL3 will not be confirmed.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering the original source engine was a few years ahead of the curve, I'm expecting a lot.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.
That's probably what is left for the last reveal? They make a universal living room controller that works seamlessly with SteamOS and the Steambox(es).

Overall, this second reveal was not all that great, they didn't unveil anything! It was just a way for people to get excited and flush into doing their Steambox "quest" giveaway. However, it would be real cool to win it though.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
However, it would be real cool to win it though.
You bet. I'm in.

Looking forward to all of this. I believe that Valve/Steam is going in the right direction with this. It was only natural to do so.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My sources say the Friday announcement is going to be about Source 2, which is rumored to be OpenGL based.

All hail our Valve Overloads!

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm goign to bet that they announce a controller.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Im with sub. I doubt itll be Source 2.0
I doubt, but I hope. :(

I think it'll probably be either VR goggles or, like he said, a controller. Living room experience, maaan.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
There is a possibility for this as well! The last reveal made from AMD with their next line of cards:

The firm has also revealed a new programming interface, Mantle, that makes the most of the Graphics Core Next architecture found in many of its recent processors and video chipsets. Developers who build the low-level code into their games should get better performance from GCN-based devices without having to re-optimize for each platform -- a title meant for Radeon-equipped PCs should still behave well on a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, for instance. Mantle will debut on Windows through a December update to Battlefield 4, and should spread to other platforms in the months ahead.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/25/amd-unveils-radeon-r9-and-r7-video-cards/
I personally would not be surprised if this could be Valve's 3rd reveal, that the Steambox will utilize the Radeon 7xxx+ cards and that Valve will support this new API. The problem with converting games is that Windows uses DirectX and Linux OpenGL (SteamOS). Furthermore, both next gen consoles have AMD hardware that can utilize Mantle, hence conversion between all platforms suddenly becomes much easier.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Mantle is open source! Meaning that nVidia and Intel can add support for their hardware if they are forced by demand and game developers can begin working on it at release.

EDIT2: Read reddit, and found this on the front page:

Last edited:
ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait....wasn't it supposed to look like this instead:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/25/commercial-steambox-prototype/

Prototype Steam Box.

Just a cool little update. I'm also hearing they're going to be officially announcing the products in January at some point. I'm probably gonna be backing Valve pretty hard on the Linux transition.
Yeah at CES. http://www.cesweb.org/about-ces.aspx
Yeah i'm totally supporting these guys as well. I really hope they'll make it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From what I understood, they're unveiling several different models so that may very well be another version.

Proud owner of ESF:Final
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
why should i buy a steam box if i have PC ? any exclusives for the steam machines like xbox and ps ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom