The Steam Universe is Expanding

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't -need- to. SteamOS is gonna be free so you could just install it or dual boot it. Here's why you would want a steambox though. There are a few reasons consoles do better at playing a lot of video games than a PC does.

1. A consoles OS is designed to play video games and ONLY video games. Windows and Mac aren't so there's an immediate discrepancy in game performance. Linux is a free and open operating environment so Valve used it to create an OS focused solely on gaming.

2. Consolidation of parts. The steam machines will be running Steam games at 60fps 1080p. This is because the games can be reoptimized for the few different parts that all the Steam Machines will have. That's been a big problem with PC gaming for a while now. So many video cards and cpu's to account for.

3. Microsoft has long since stopped caring about gaming on their OS. They support it to a minor degree, to make money and to sell more windows copies but it's a non-issue to them whether or not the gaming developers have easy tools to work with or have to pay a fortune to build on the windows platform or use Direct X. Again, linux is a big problem solver there.

The reason you would want one if you don't already have a gaming pc is because the specs on the machines are equivalent to $700 - $1000 dollar computer for $500, give or take. And, unlike your ps4 or xbone, will be fully upgradeable still so you won't need to get a steam machine 2 in six years.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im surprisingly happy to head they picked that date for some unknown reason ^^

Ill probably try a dual boot with SteamOS ASAP. Should also let me test if ESF runs on that thing, since its essentially a linux build.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heard that they chose US residents only for the prototypes. Saw a lot of angry comments in the Steam Universe group. :D
Anyway...i'm curious to test the SteamOS as well as getting some feedback from users that'll receive the prototypes.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, the machines didn't make much of a difference to me. Only a few games are gonna be specifically optimized for them, and Valve is always pretty awesome about making sure games run the best that they can on all systems anyway. I'm just psyched to get a look at how this OS is gonna be. I actually just picked up a 320g HDD for the sole purpose of loading an extra OS.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some news from Valve it seems.

VALVE REVEALS FIRST GEN STEAM MACHINES
Over One Dozen Designs Announced

Alienware
Alternate
CyberPowerPC
Digital Storm
Falcon NW
GigaByte
iBuyPower
Maingear
Material.net
Next Spa
Origin PC
Scan
Webhallen
Zotac
http://store.steampowered.com/news/12175/

Seems like the cheapest one will be $499. Considering the freedom that it gives in many aspects i'd buy it.
That's if what i want is a mid range pc/console that can also run Windows 7 and can be stylish and compact enough to sit in my living room.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom