the staying blobs

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok, not sure if you know this, but the blobs staying are not random(some may be). I noticed a pattern that could help the fix on this. (this is of course they havent already fixed this)

Basicly a blob stays if half of it is in a wall or by an object(like a tree trunk).

Also certain maps have it where EVERY blob thats made, stays (Riverside, Nameks _revival, and others i cant think of). So somethings wrong with these maps when they were created, no matter where the blob is in those maps, Floor, air, water, it all stays.

if you need me to elaborate on this more ill try.

hope this helps in any way.

Best answers
Well, I've noticed, that, after a while, the computer/server (whichever handles them) catches up and they expand then fade out... Or at least, that's what happened for me... I remember playing on a map, and there was a bunch of ki blobs all over the map that wouldn't fade, then after a while (30 mins I think) suddenly they all popped at once and disappeared...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah i have a pic of the poping thing.

and Yugi, i KNOW its a known bug, but dont think anyone knows whats CAUSING it.... i posted it to show the pattern of how they are apprearing.... so it can be fixed....

If all you have to say is "Its a known bug" like everyone else says, then your not helping in the thread...

Best answers
Srry..How would i know that u knew that it was a known bug..the esf team will probably fix it in the next patch

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes, but posting whats causing it hlps them find it faster.

and regardless if i knew if its known or not doesnt help the bug itself.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well you really dont know the cause. because the bubbles do get caught in mid air. also its not the server its your computer. at least this is what i have known it to be so far. because for some people if YOU see the bug other people on the server may NOT see the ki blob bug.

Best answers
could it be that drivers need to be updated?? maybe different graphic cards are the reason why some people see it and others don't.. i have geforce 4 mx something and I see the permanent blobs.. freaks me out when i accidentally land in one.. try to fly out but i'm perfectly fine... lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, the card itself shouldnt have conflict with the coding itself. As i stated before Fire Phoenox, the blobs DO get caught in mid air, but this is mostly in some maps where every blob gets buged, now i know theres some randoms yes where some see and others do not.

But go to nameks revival in a room alone and throw a few blobs, id like to know if every blob stays for you. because i persanlly think its the "Mesh" of maps or Something.(i dont know map editing names but when i mean mesh, i mean something like the surfaces Type or something) But thats what my money is on.

Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
well you really dont know the cause. because the bubbles do get caught in mid air. also its not the server its your computer. at least this is what i have known it to be so far. because for some people if YOU see the bug other people on the server may NOT see the ki blob bug.
Yes, I speculated as much, and when I logged off, I realized what I had said conflicted with that factor... My apologies. Still, the bug is I would think, a result of a mis-timed video update, or some such. Maybe they could fix it by using techniques to speed up the render pipeline...

Best answers
hey.. i think i might have a speculation to what causes this..
you know in counter-strike how there can only be so much on the screen before things start to disappear? like the number of caps on the ground.. bullet holes in the wall...
maybe ESF is having trouble keeping up with what's happening in the game... and if it is just the person's computer and it's only client side that sees this, then it's just a glitch(?)
mine all popped when i started gathering energy for a sb... all the sparkles i guess filled up the screen.. and so all the blobs got deleted to make room for the new stuff..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think that is exactly true. Because i was in ESF_babidi_ship or whatever it's called. and i filled the ENTIRE map with those ki blobs... (yes i have a life>.<) and they didn't explode for like 30 minutes... 4 fps saaaweeet

Best answers
It's a client-side bug.

Apparentley it was actually fixed before 1.2.1 got out, but for some reason wasn't included in the release .DLLs.

Best answers
you know what the problem is with ESF

TO MANY F**KING MEMORY LEAKS, Have you seen the resource usage. The application itself uses up approx 16 megabytes of memory apon initialization. A further 200 megabytes are allocated dynamically and it always goes up and never declines. It is a highly inefficient mod and thats why it has so many bugs.

The dedicated server is even worse. It uses up more resources and it doesn't even do any graphical mapping. For a send / receive data application it also uses alot of CPU usage as apposed to the client, and don get me wrong but doens't the client do a little more like rendering. I mean the purpse of the dedicated server to to make the calculations the client can do on its own if its hosting wihtout the rending capabilities, and return the information back to the client. I can understand the issues of cpu time but not as much as it uses and it would not need more resources than a client. Thats just outrageous.

For ki blobs to remain they are not being flushed out of memory by the process and hence forth the leak. This can occur randomly because of the structure of C++ and its strong and dynamic typing mechanisms. Because an error can be unknown at compile time with specific classes it makes it impossible to determine if a product works effectively wihtout black box testing. C++ is a language which is hated and you can obviously see why with this mod. If only life was as simple as java, and we could garbage collect occasionally to free up unused memory.

Best answers
yeah, I understand you mate, good point there, I hope it gets respanded\answered

and also I wish the team would release the fix for the blobs, I think I once heard Nretep or someone else says
that they already put the fix in the installer but accidently they forgot to put it in the final release or something
in new maps its ok, though it lags in most old maps, which isnt fair!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a bug, but it's also not a bug. It's mainly just sloppy mapping. Sure, the maps are great, look nice, but what you cant see, is all the little errors that occur. The ki blob "bug" could be cause by many things:

1. The map is not leveled out completely.
2. You have a crap pc.
3. Sometimes when there is a map change, it creates some errors in the next map (With the bug possibly being one of them). So it's always better to reconnect after a map change, for a fresh load of the map.
4. The server is being hosted on a crap pc, with a 56k/s modem, and thus delaying the explosion (Sometimes permanently).

Those are only a couple of reasons that I can think of. I'm not positive about number one, since I don't know the coding for the ki blobs. But it could be that the kiblob gets stuck in the map. For example. The seat on a toilet has a hole in the middle, which you cannot fall through, unless you're like 5 years old. But anyway, the toilet seat has the hole, and the lid to it has no hole. I'm not trying to be sick or anything, but this is kind of the only way I could think to explain it. The toilet lid is flat, thus more comfortable. The toilet seat has a hole, which you cannot fall through, and occasionally get stuck in (Dont ask). Now, if a map is leveled out, the kiblob cannot get stuck. However, if the map has holes, or is not leveled, it will get stuck, just like you on the toilet. This may sound stupid, but that's what I believe. *Braces self for crits*

Best answers
nice point, but the fact it happens to all blobs, even once in mid air, proves ur theory wrong. Nice explanation though.

Best answers
MoZZa said:
you know what the problem is with ESF
TO MANY F**KING MEMORY LEAKS, Have you seen the resource usage. The application itself uses up approx 16 megabytes of memory apon initialization. A further 200 megabytes are allocated dynamically and it always goes up and never declines. It is a highly inefficient mod and thats why it has so many bugs.

The dedicated server is even worse. It uses up more resources and it doesn't even do any graphical mapping. For a send / receive data application it also uses alot of CPU usage as apposed to the client, and don get me wrong but doens't the client do a little more like rendering. I mean the purpse of the dedicated server to to make the calculations the client can do on its own if its hosting wihtout the rending capabilities, and return the information back to the client. I can understand the issues of cpu time but not as much as it uses and it would not need more resources than a client. Thats just outrageous.
Are you talking about the windows or the linux ded. server? And if windows, are you talking about the seperate hlds server, or using the dedicated server in the normal steam client? Not to say that we don't have any leaks in our code (I know of 1 or 2 in the client), but there is some other stuff you might want to look at:
HLDS is known to have memory leaks itself: http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=118337&highlight=memory+leak

We take more memory than the regular mod, because we have to preload all player models, because they all have different animations, same for class specific sounds.

The windows task manager (or linux top) isn't a suited tool to claim some application has memory leaks or not. If I free my memory in code, it's then up to the OS to determine what to do to it. Usually, it isn't freed immidiatly, but at some point when the memory is needed, so you might see a memory increase for a while, even if there is no leak at all.

For ki blobs to remain they are not being flushed out of memory by the process and hence forth the leak. This can occur randomly because of the structure of C++ and its strong and dynamic typing mechanisms. Because an error can be unknown at compile time with specific classes it makes it impossible to determine if a product works effectively wihtout black box testing. C++ is a language which is hated and you can obviously see why with this mod. If only life was as simple as java, and we could garbage collect occasionally to free up unused memory.
That's not a memory leak, for the blobs to be drawn each frame they must have a valid pointer pointing to them.

I agree with you on the Java thing.

Best answers
would this explain the unusaly windows dedicated server crashes. When i'm playing at random occurances with no similarity the ded server goes into what looks to be a spastic loop, either normal loop or a thingo function, can't remember the name where the function calls itself within itself over n over. Not sure if it is that type of fnction cause i don get a chance to look at my ram usage cause my computer is in a dead-lock looking situation, and i can bearly move my mouse. Just wondering if this is in fact hlds or the esf mod. Or somethig u've just never heard happen before.

Best answers
just one question, am I right about the fact that this bug was solved long ago
and just cause of a sloppy installer packer dude it didnt get to the full current version online?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom