the largest empire in history

Status
Not open for further replies.
brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So does Israel, Russia, North Korea, Iran etc.
Add India and Pakistan to that list.
-

Either way guys, this thread was never about the current powers of the present.

It's about the largest controlled amount of territory in history... which belongs to Britain it seems.

Any other kind of comments that could spur a political debacle over nuclear stuff, etc... needs to stop, right now.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
According to Wikipedia, the British empire is the largest by landmass (under King George V in 1921).

The largest contiguous empire (everything is connected) was the Mongol empire.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, if we're talking about all history the most territory would belong to Britain, hell almost entire North America was its colony and they didn't stop there. But Bunker already pointed that out in his first thread. Therefore I have to say the Roman empire, hell those guys were pretty powerful for their time.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What about the Japanese? I may not know that much of the history, but a lot of landmass doesn't automatically mean victory over everyone else. You can't just say, "Because that country has the most land mass, they are the best" You have to take a lot more into consideration.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The topic is "The Largest Empire in History", not the most powerful.

Bunker already posted the list, so there's really no point in arguing over who was the largest.

Edit: So I just read the part where bunker asked which is the strongest...

If we're just going chronologically, America is the strongest nation ever. If we're talking about the country at it's prime, and we're not using nukes, I'm going to say America again. We're unmatched in conventional warfare, our economy is kinda taking a nap, but if we were to suddenly crash, everyone would fall with us (symbiotic relationships for the lose?), and we have moon bases and mars bases. Oh, they didn't technically reveal the latter part, but you know it's there. How else would we meet with our alien overlords (who we're actually going to fight for causing global warming, I guess...)?

Mog

Best answers
...and we have moon bases and mars bases. Oh, they didn't technically reveal the latter part, but you know it's there. How else would we meet with our alien overlords (who we're actually going to fight for causing global warming, I guess...)?
What ARE you talking about??!

Mars base? alien overlords? (us causing global warming??? :smile:)
...wierdo. :D

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What ARE you talking about??!

Mars base? alien overlords? (us causing global warming??? :smile:)
...wierdo. :D
I'm offended. Please don't flame other users.

Anyways, for the strongest, I think it would come down to a tie between the Roman Empire and America. They were both the superpowers of their day. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I saw a statistic that says America's military spending is larger than that of the entire world's military spending combined

Mog

Best answers
I don't really see how I was flaming...
Agamenon was probably (hopefully:scared:) joking, and so was I. (hence the smilies) o_O

EDIT: wait... any offense taken from me making fun of "humans causing global warming" theory was entirely intentional. :D

Back on topic...
what about the vikings? they kicked f*cking ass!!!
I don't think they had much of an empire though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yea the vikings were kinda nomadic...but they pillaged and raped like hell!!!

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i know but we have like 1000000000000000000000000000 of em

Russia has and had many more nukes than the United States ever did. OUr nukes are stronger and better though

Best answers
Yet you're the only country to have unleashed a nuclear catastrophe.

Vapourizing 80,000 people and killing 60,000 more slowly with radiation poisoning doesnt exactly sound like "straight combat"

Its that kind of arrogance that makes people hate the US.

Anyway, in terms of what empire changed the world, it would be the roman empire hands down, after all it was the first army that ever consisted of career soldiers, instead of conscripts, they created the blueprint for warfare that is still followed today.
Right, because systematically killing every Japanese as an alternative is sooo much better. Because that's what it would have boiled down to in the end.

Anyhow, almost half the options listed aren't empires. I'm going to add one of my own and say the Napoleonic Empire. The one time in French history where they actually were feared :shocked: (for the dense, it's a joke).

And by the way, N. Korea and Iran and whoever else can have nukes. But they don't have the delivery system (besides Russia) in order to hit mainland N. America. It's only speculated N. Korea could hit California and not confirmed and since their missile tests were failures, I'm sure they couldn't. Soo...pwned.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering Vikings spent months at sea with only other men at their sides, i think it's pretty safe to say they did more than just "kicked" ass.

J-Dude said:
Most powerful? U.S. hands down. You should watch that show "Future Weapons".Those two things could decimate a vast majority of the great armies of old, .
Just cause you are in fact an idiot, i'll point out that obviously with current technology you could beat older civilizations. The point of this topic was timelines. Comparisons. What you just said is rediculous beyond all measure, I could basically say Martians kick U.S.'s ass. But we can't know that because Martians don't exist (as far as our science can prove) so we will never see that play out. Same goes with history. You might as well aruge that Digimon would decimate Pokemon because Digimon can turn into huge gundam like creatures.

J-Dude said:
I beg to differ. We've had the edge in straight combat for a long-ass time.
I'd just like to point out North America was only colonized a couple hundred years ago... so.. yeah... you've really only had "the edge" for about 50 years. And even then.. for having the edge in straight combat, you guys sure have alot of trouble handling aggressive civilians.

And for the topic, Rome would definitely have to have been the strongest empire for history's time. Both culturally and military.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kama, where did that knowledge of Digimon come from?

Best answers
...And for the topic, Rome would definitely have to have been the strongest empire for history's time. Both culturally and military.
Yes, i agree totally.
Romans developed the science and culture far beyond any other empire. They invented draining system, they build the first big cities, they had the most developed fighting equipment and strategies(catapults, trebuchets, scorpions...etc) and they had the first bureocrats.
And they probably invented the whole empire system alltogether...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering Vikings spent months at sea with only other men at their sides, i think it's pretty safe to say they did more than just "kicked" ass.
False...when they got off the boat and finished burning the towns they would rape all the hot chicks...that's why iceland is full of hot black and blond hair blue eyed chicks.

Vikings owned end of story.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, i agree totally.
Romans developed the science and culture far beyond any other empire. They invented draining system, they build the first big cities, they had the most developed fighting equipment and strategies(catapults, trebuchets, scorpions...etc) and they had the first bureocrats.
And they probably invented the whole empire system alltogether...
First large cities? Invented a draining system? Invented the whole empire system altogether?

I'm sorry, but all of those simply aren't true. I'm not saying Rome isn't great, it was, but it wasn't the first civilization to have large cities, running water, or a large span of territory. I can't speak on the most developed fighting equipment and strategies since I don't know enough about that, but I would bet civilizations such as Greece or Persia had advanced military tactics, too (phalanx anyone?)

edit: About mountain dewd's comments on America, we saved many lives by using the nuclear bomb. The casualties would have been immense if we had invaded Japan, one can hardly blame the U.S. for using the weapon we had spent years and billions of dollars (and this was billions of dollars in the 40's, not today) to produce, especially considering it saved more lives than it took and we knew that at the time.

Not to mention how necessary the atomic bomb was to demonstrate to Russia how powerful our country was. We now had leverage against Russia to stop their expansion and combat their aggression, which could have arguably saved countless lives. But hey, continue to hate us and our arrogance, who cares if your right?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just cause you are in fact an idiot, i'll point out that obviously with current technology you could beat older civilizations. The point of this topic was timelines. Comparisons. What you just said is rediculous beyond all measure, I could basically say Martians kick U.S.'s ass. But we can't know that because Martians don't exist (as far as our science can prove) so we will never see that play out. Same goes with history. You might as well aruge that Digimon would decimate Pokemon because Digimon can turn into huge gundam like creatures.

I'd just like to point out North America was only colonized a couple hundred years ago... so.. yeah... you've really only had "the edge" for about 50 years. And even then.. for having the edge in straight combat, you guys sure have alot of trouble handling aggressive civilians.

And for the topic, Rome would definitely have to have been the strongest empire for history's time. Both culturally and military.
If I'm an idiot then I'd hate to imagine what that makes most people in your book. By long-ass time, I meant in the span of a lifetime. To me 50 years is quite a while. And who do you refer to when you mean aggressive civilians? The Iraqi insurgents who are NOT engaging in straight combat, but striking from the shadows at random? Or simply our own criminals, in which case the police are not the same as the military, dumbass. If they were we'd have replaced police cruisers with hummers and tanks and would therefore be under martial law, which we're not and never will be. In a straight mono-y-mono battle our weaponry can cripple most armies within a few airstrikes. You should see just how much power and area is used by our bombers, especially the stealth, who's payload is massive and offloaded at a frightening rate which can take out several football fields.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why is america an empire?

if america is an empire than id have to say the chinese are currently the strongest (based off of the standards you set) for having well over a billon people

and yes, i completely ignored all posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom