The Bible may not be what many people think it is?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have little right however, to condemn the whole damned book.
And why is that? A book is a book - nothing more, nothing less. Written by God or otherwise, it's still a book.

Don't get me wrong, logic is a powerful tool. It can, and has been applied, with great effect, to most fields of study one can pursue. But relying solely on logic is a weakness. There is a point in which logic begins to unravel itself. According to logic, the Universe itself should not exist at all. According to logic as some see it, things that have a low probability of happening are impossible, and yet these things happen every day.
Logic has no weakness' and logic has no strengths; logic is logic. However, logic (like the bible) can be interpreted, thus made to seem as though it's flawed through false interpretation. Your two statements regarding logic are good examples of this:

According to logic, the Universe itself should not exist at all.
Logic doesn't deal with whether the universe should exist or not, but rather that it does exist.

According to logic as some see it, things that have a low probability of happening are impossible, and yet these things happen every day.
Low probability means low probability, not impossible or impossibility. Meaning, that "things" with a low probability still have a chance of occurring, but the chances are slim. Further, you stated "according to logic as some see it". Thus you're not speaking of logic, but rather another individual's interpretation of logic.

Life is about balance. To truly have an open mind, one must balance the sheerness of logic with a cushion of faith. Too much of one will make you blind to exceptions and the extraordinary, while too much of the other will make you as woefully ignorant as our ancestors of millennia ago, who believed during a solar eclipse that a massive beast was trying to devour the Sun.
So, when one encounters something that seemingly cannot be explained by logic, they should fall back to faith or religion as a means of explaining it? That's not very exciting. Not to mention a non-productive way of living.

History has shown that when mankind is faced with something which exceeds their understanding of logic, it gives them a chance to grow and expand their understanding of logic and of the universe.

As for being open minded, one must be open to all possibilities. But at the same time, one must be capable of distinguishing the possible from the impossible and the impossible from the possible; fact from the fallacy and fallacy from the fact. And in that event, be able to toss away possibilities which simply are impossible or illogical.

el_perro_azul

E
The Bible is my buddy...

The Bible is my buddy but it was in the hands of the church for over a thousand years...any defects or faults are their fault and not the fault of modern christians. with these errors in mind, god would provide a way for us to know what is what. He has called prophets again in our day. i invite you to look at http://www.mormon.org and find out for yourself what the Lord has done in our days through living prophets. We need The Book of Mormon to clear things up.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but it was in the hands of the church for over a thousand years...any defects or faults are their fault and not the fault of modern christians. with these errors in mind, god would provide a way for us to know what is what. He has called prophets again in our day. i invite you to look at http://www.mormon.org and find out for yourself what the Lord has done in our days through living prophets.

Uh...sorry, but I'm rather against Mormonism. It's kinda'...insane. Not to knock, but, what those Mormons did to those traveling settlers in the 1800s? That little incident which that movie "September Dawn" was based off of? Yeah, not for me, thank you. I'm also a strict believer in monogamy.

el_perro_azul

E
Uh...sorry, but I'm rather against Mormonism. It's kinda'...insane. Not to knock, but, what those Mormons did to those traveling settlers in the 1800s? That little incident which that movie "September Dawn" was based off of? Yeah, not for me, thank you. I'm also a strict believer in monogamy.

You are referring to the "Mountain Meadows Massacre" for which there are conflicting accounts of what happened and of course history tells us to see the evil in religion. "September Dawn" is a farce. I read about 5 reviews done by people of various beliefs and they all agreed that it did a good job of doing one thing and one thing only: demonizing an undeserving religion. those that attacked did so of their own choice and against the will of the church.

Please read the following:
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=17bef28172543110VgnVCM100000176f620aRCRD&vgnextchannel=9ae411154963d010VgnVCM1000004e94610aRCRD&gclid=CMGK-Lvd3Y4CFSDJYAodsjFATA

PS: we ended polygamy over 110 years ago. and we never actually practiced polygamy. We practiced polygyny. There is a difference. Look it up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Where are all these people coming from?

DOWN, FORWARD + DOWN, FORWARD, B

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Where are all these people coming from?

DOWN, FORWARD + DOWN, FORWARD, B
This is your and this thread's final (friendly) warning for spam. Anything further will result in warnings.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You are referring to the "Mountain Meadows Massacre" for which there are conflicting accounts of what happened and of course history tells us to see the evil in religion. "September Dawn" is a farce. I read about 5 reviews done by people of various beliefs and they all agreed that it did a good job of doing one thing and one thing only: demonizing an undeserving religion. those that attacked did so of their own choice and against the will of the church.

Please read the following:
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=17bef28172543110VgnVCM100000176f620aRCRD&vgnextchannel=9ae411154963d010VgnVCM1000004e94610aRCRD&gclid=CMGK-Lvd3Y4CFSDJYAodsjFATA

PS: we ended polygamy over 110 years ago. and we never actually practiced polygamy. We practiced polygyny. There is a difference. Look it up.

Not going to argue with you dude, but it's just not my thing.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh and since the mod's are "cracking down" on people posting meaningless dribble in threads like this, how come a member of the team is able to post the above? *looks at Phobius*
What did I say? Such nonsense posts should be directed via
Report Post Button
and or an administrator not in a thread.

This will be the last verbal warning that gets handed out in this thread anymore will result in an immediate warning.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is that @ me?

I don't think my post was that long since half of it was quotes...

Oh and since the mod's are "cracking down" on people posting meaningless dribble in threads like this, how come a member of the team is able to post the above? *looks at Phobius*
Team Members are not above the rules of the community. He should not have made a comment of that context, and I'll be talking to FreeDom to explain why he just made my job a little harder.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
10 bucks says half the stuff you think is insane about Mormonism is false or gross exaggerations, and the other half is just as insane as any other religion to non-believers, especially if you take a look at orthodox Christianity. And every religion has blood on its hands, the only difference in the Mountain Meadows Massacre was 150 years ago.

tl;dr Mormons get a bad rap that they aren't necessarily deserving of.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is your and this thread's final (friendly) warning for spam. Anything further will result in warnings.
Can you give me another one? An unfriendly one with that classic exclamation mark emote? Been dying to get one of those from you hypocritical powermongers. Pretty please?

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can you give me another one? An unfriendly one with that classic exclamation mark emote? Been dying to get one of those from you hypocritical powermongers. Pretty please?
Heres your official warning for spam and to test out our new feature you have been banned from posting any further nonsense in this thread.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
The Bible was made by man, How can anything be considered exact fact because of that reason alone?
I don't believe in any religion at all though, so it is a little biased, but some Christians I know also agree with me on that point.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
@Jinx
Now to your claim that Israel is an actual person:
The old testament is very old. People of that time used many metaphors and pictures, so that people could understand the meaning.
In the quotes you gave and interprated, Isreal is referring to the people of Israel.
God (or The Lord) being married to Isreal is referring to the bond between the people of Isreal and God.
Why marriage? People of that time could easily transfer the responsibilities of a real marriage to that human-god bond.
That whole cheating part refers to people placing things (animals money etc...) above God.
Meaning that they don't regard God as that important as other things.
God divorcing from Isreal simply means that God wanted to part with the people of Isreal, and chose another people as the chosen one's.
But he was forgiving (etc...)

haha, really? Well, let me also provide you with more of my interpetations. Before you read them let me just point out, that Yes INDEED, the bible may be "very" old. If that is true then the society in which the bible talks about is "Very" old. This means the way kids were raised then, may be "very" different then how they are raised now, with the 2 parents with a few kids System.

As for Israel, I can see how you and many others come to that conclusion, BUT from my interpetations so far, I not only declare that Israel is a person, but ALSO a MALE. So when the Bible speaks about the children of Israel, it could simply mean his offspring.

Gen 46:1 And Israel took his journey with all tha he had, and came to Beer-sheba, and offered sacrifices unto the Go of his father Isaac.
Gen 45:28 And Israel said, It is enough; Joseph my son is yet alive: I will go and see him beforeH I die.
Gen 48:8 And Israel beheld Joseph's sons, and said, Who are these?

Gen 48:11 And Israel said untoH Joseph, I had not thought to see thy face: and, lo, God hath showed me also thy seed.

The bible and the other holy books may be nothing more than a collection of fairy tales, but these tales contain guidelines
on how you can live your life.
Or possibly a way to control how people act, making them easier to manage.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Israel (Hebrew ישׂראל Yisra'el or Yiśrā’ēl, meaning "Upright (with) God") was the name given to the Biblical patriarch Jacob.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_(disambiguation)

The Children of Israel, Banu Israel or B'nei Yisrael (בני ישראל) in Hebrew (also B'nai Yisrael, B'nei Yisroel or Bene Israel) is a Biblical term for the Israelites. It is also an alternate way of referring to the people known as Hebrews or Jews. In the Torah, the actual children of Israel are the twelve sons of Jacob (also named Israel). The Children of Israel are also known as the Twelve Tribes.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Israel

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
haha, really? Well, let me also provide you with more of my interpetations. Before you read them let me just point out, that Yes INDEED, the bible may be "very" old. If that is true then the society in which the bible talks about is "Very" old. This means the way kids were raised then, may be "very" different then how they are raised now, with the 2 parents with a few kids System.

As for Israel, I can see how you and many others come to that conclusion, BUT from my interpetations so far, I not only declare that Israel is a person, but ALSO a MALE. So when the Bible speaks about the children of Israel, it could simply mean his offspring.

Or possibly a way to control how people act, making them easier to manage.
Somehow I doubt "the Bible" is making all those spelling mistakes. Let's see what a modicum of research turns up.

Do you know WHY Israel is a person, in the Bible? Obviously the Bible isn't referring to the political state established in the 20th century. :rolleyes:

"The name originated from a verse in the Bible (Genesis, 32:28) where Jacob is renamed Israel after successfully wrestling with an angel of God."

Genesis 32:28 said:
From the King James Version of the Bible: "And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed."
Read what you're posting about. Then come back with your theories.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I'm not sure what exactly your point is, but I thought I would add this in.

Israel (Hebrew ישׂראל Yisra'el or Yiśrā’ēl, meaning "Upright (with) God") was the name given to the Biblical patriarch Jacob.
Patriarch - pa·tri·arch (ptr-ärk)
n.
1. A man who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
2. Bible
a. One of the antediluvian progenitors of the human race, from Adam to Noah.
b. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, or any of Jacob's 12 sons, the eponymous progenitors of the 12 tribes of Israel.
3. Used formerly as a title for the bishops of Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria.
4. Roman Catholic Church A bishop who holds the highest episcopal rank after the pope.
5. Eastern Orthodox Church Any one of the bishops of the sees of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Moscow, and Jerusalem who has authority over other bishops.
6. Judaism The head of the Sanhedrin in Syrian Palestine from about 180 b.c. to a.d. 429.
7. Mormon Church A high dignitary of the priesthood empowered to invoke blessings.
8. One who is regarded as the founder or original head of an enterprise, organization, or tradition.
9. A very old, venerable man; an elder.
10. The oldest member of a group:

@ Alea , When i copy in paste, i have to delete the coded numbers next to each word.. so some may still be their.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
go read my very first post, or maybe the post where I quoted and responded to Kam

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
go read my very first post, or maybe the post where I quoted and responded to Kam
Your original post is a jumbled, incoherent mess that doesn't actually make a point except "you're searching for the truth after 9/11," and that religion isn't a good place to find it. I agree with the latter part.

VideoJinx said:
I believe I can safely say that the Bible doesn't have the truth when refering to the real God. The Bible itself has a God of it's own, "A man of War," and his name according to the Bible is the LORD.
Christianity itself is a contradiction; the New Testament, which is supposedly the addition of the teachings of Jesus Christ and his followers, contradicting the teachings of the Old Testament.

The Old Testament teaches that God is angry, resentful, jealous and vengeful; the New Testament teaches God is loving, forgiving and accepting.

Does this contradiction make the religion "BS," in your words?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom