Tekken 5

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They have a character called Raven...I must have it! Devil Within sounds pretty cool too, they had something like that for Tekken 3 but side-scrolling like Streets of Rage.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tekken Force Mode lol....but that was so boring, it was a bit better in 4 but still wasn't anything special...only thing that might keep me from buying it is lack of playability, there's no online capability as far as I know and there's nobody I know that likes fighting games as much as I do. I don't want it to become another Mortal Kombat or Soul Caliber, just gathering dust on my shelves. ;(

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If any of you've played this game in the arcade, it simply rapes the hell outta 4 :p Controls still aren't as nice as they were in 3/Tag tournament, but I don't mind since I use my PS2 controller at the arcade. I just hope they keep all the bonus items and costumes you can earn for each character. Hell, the game's worth it just for Wang's senility alone.

-Karrde-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If Wang's 'old-man-sit-down' attack is still in it then that warrants a purchase alone. Plus...he's called Wang. Somebody buy it and review it, I don't really trust corporate reviews.

KyoKusanagi

K
Wang never had the old man sitdown attack - thats Bosconovich.

Still...Wang is 105 years old according to the storyline so him walking let alone going toe to toe with someone like Kazuya (who is no spring chicken at 49) is damn amazing and funny at the same time.

Needless to say i will be purchasing the game - hopefully the collectors edition with Tekken 1 - 3 on the same disc aswell.

Retired
Best answers
I saw this movie about Tekken on gamespot. looked very promising and would definitly get it if I had a PS2.

Best answers
((May contain minor spoilers))

*MC Hammer*

Tekken 5 rox my sox! Got it yesterday afternoon and played it till 1:30 am.

I was about to make a small review, but http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/tekken-5/590622p1.html already mentions alot of what I was gonna say.

Aside from what the gamespy review mentioned, Pimping out the characters with various items and color custumizations is awsome, though it costs money to do so. Each player constume (some people have 3 but you have to buy it) has a few different custumizations. Max money for some items is 500,000. If you beat story mode you get 100,000 , but the boss is a PIA.

I've noticed some minor graphical flaws, such as if someone slams into the ground or you slam it yourself it creates a crater, cracks, rubble, etc depending on the level. If you do it again, the first one vanishes without a trace and a new one appears. Also, If you look closely at some of the player effects (glows, particals, shines, flats, haze) sometimes you see the line where the effect ends/begins or cutoffs. Though i'm not sure if some of these are caused by the slim version of the ps2, which has noticable errors in some cases, or is just the game.

Otherwise, this game is just plain B-E-A-utiful. It brought back many characters from Tekken 2 and 3 such as Wang, Baek, and Bruce. I only have one more person to unlock which is probobly the boss or devil jin. Can't wait till i'm done with work to go play again :D

BTW: Anyone else get the game or the Special Edition pack? Also whats your favorite character? Feng Wei is pimp >.<

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can say without even playing it that Bryan is my favourite character...I mean c'mon, he's got a sterotypical bad guy laugh, how can you go wrong? :D

KyoKusanagi

K
Hard to say who my fave is really.

For dishing out the pain - its Bryan or Heihachi hands down (yes, Heihachi is in Tekken 5 and his 2 ~ 1+2 is broken and unpunishable on block)
For fancy styles - its Asuka for her infinite combos and King for his multipart throws
For when im feeling mean - Kazuya or Marduk.

and when i feel like messing around i use Wang.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Beh ANYONE who has infinite combos is too cheap lol. Kings multiparts are awesome, I love them, but anyone who knows anything will end up breaking them :p Though you can usually get away with at least df +1+2, 1+2

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, I gotta say im goinna skip out on Devil May Cry 3 for now... My friend bought Tekken 5 last week and we were playing that all fricken day... Tekken 5 is way better than 4 (Ling Xiaoyu & Hwoarang have great new moves!).

Also Azuka 100x more powerful than Jun... You dont know how hard that girl hits... I beat the crap out of my friend so easily (his king beats me -sometimes-, but against my Azuka King wasn't ****). I beautifully swept his king across the floor... I kicked him across the face two times... Those High Kicks are sooo damaging, her motion is beautiful as well as her kicks... I sound like an idiot but I dont care cause its true... I have a new character in Tekken!

Best answers
Haven't played as much, still praying for a snow-day tomarrow >.<

Dang you people, Feng Wei is pimp! I went to my game settings and set the difficulty to Ultra and rounds to 1 in 30secs and I almost beat it without dieing once on story (using Feng Wei of course) but Jinpachi and his stun-fire blast attack wiped me out before i could make a move. Had 3 timeouts and 2 perfects. Anybody else make some great achievement?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Feng Wei has some high priority moves, i've seen my friend use this down clip (a sweep kick) that comes out fast and then hese able to follow up with a 3-4 hit mid gut punch while the enemy is being bounced in the air... Pretty much hese just too fast for his strength. Kinda reminds me of Paul but Paul aint that fast. Feng also has a palm strike that can stop you. I haven't played him yet but him, Raven & Asuka look too dominant in Tekken 5, however im not complaining because I can still get around (Yeah I play a cheap turtling game in Tekken 5 but I dont care).

Sometimes I play psyche outs, I step back & forward constantly to get my enemy thinking when im goinna strike, if he tries to get close while im moving i'll just grab um or perform fast 3-4 combo strings with either Ling or Asuka. I love Hwoarang's new Tornado Kicks (I can perform them in real life) its Back-Back(Hold) Right Kick, Right Kick, Right Kick.

Best answers
I came across something just recently that made me think twice about buying this game. I mean i still want too acourse, but im wondering if this guy is actually proving a point in this small interview.

1UP: Speaking of your enemies, Tekken 5 just came out in North America (and we know how you feel about Tekken), but doesn't feature any sort of online play, multi-tiered stages, or tag-team play. Do you think they chickened out of the online arena?

Crater Face Itagaki: First they put in all of these half-finished "features", then they take them right out again. Tag fights, elevation differences, walls. I don't know if it's because they're impatient, or because they lack the ability, but no matter the reason those guys are a pretty weird bunch. Any of those things would have become a bonafide feature if they took the time to do it right (laughs). Oh, and come on guys, let's quit trying to hide the prehistoric nature of the main product by tacking on some absurd "bonus game." I have been saying this for 5 years, haven't I? If you have the time to make an action-style "bonus game", why don't you create an honest-to-god action game and sell it as a standalone product? Oh, and if you're going to bother including such a "unique" form of ball play, you should do a beach volleyball game instead (laughs).

I know this sounds dumb, but have you ever seen such a ****y game designer? i havent, this guy has trashed some other amazing games as well such as DMC 3, Resident Evil 4, SC 2 ect Im just wondering what kinda games this this guy produced if he talks that way. Either way would you peeps say his info is pretty valid about the game and is this game really a teken 3 rehash? No offense to people who like it just wanted to know. o_O

Best answers
Oh god, an abaser attack. Do not listen to those stupid interviews. The person interviewed coulda been bribed to say those things, cause Tekken 5 is NOT--I repeat--NOT a bad game. I would personally flame whoever published that interview to ash and blow it into a furnace.

Besides, he's not talking bad about Tekken 5, he's talking about other games that implemented things for a short time and they were never seen again. He's right, they are impatient on trying to create something new. When Itagaki says "bonus game" i presume he's talking about Tekken: Devil Within which was ok but not worth it unless you benifit from beating it. The same thing happened with Ehrgeiz and its somewhat boring Dungeon mode. Everbody attacked at the mini-rpg part of Ehrgeiz and made it seem the actual game was bad...

Please... dont listen to them. Tekken 5 is has to be one of the greatest fighting game ever made (besides Ehrgeiz :fight: ). If you don't want to buy the game, dont. Just please dont listen to those morons ;(

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My only quelp about 5 is that they seemed to have made the fast characters even more deadly and they hit harder at that. Not to mention some chars have moves that look almost identical in their high and low versions, so unless you know that character really well, you're prolly gonna get nailed over and over. And for slow players like king, there's just no stepping away in time. IE Wang has one of these and it's got quite a range too. IMHO I think Tekken's kinda moving towards the fast characters and away from the burly powerhouses of old.

-Karrde-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KarrdeKNR said:
My only quelp about 5 is that they seemed to have made the fast characters even more deadly and they hit harder at that. Not to mention some chars have moves that look almost identical in their high and low versions, so unless you know that character really well, you're prolly gonna get nailed over and over. And for slow players like king, there's just no stepping away in time. IE Wang has one of these and it's got quite a range too. IMHO I think Tekken's kinda moving towards the fast characters and away from the burly powerhouses of old.

-Karrde-
Heh, I gotta disagree. King is meaner in Tekken 5. The only move I see that they have toned down in damage is that one move where he flips forward at his enemy's to toss them with his legs. King has the nastiest kicks (and probably the best ones) in Tekken 5. All of his Kicks have fast recovery.

The only character that seems fast to me is Steve since hese nothing but jabs. But even in Tekken 5 they removed some moves that made him useful in Tekken 4. Ling Xiaoyu & Asuka Kazama seem equally balanced, and their both fast... But overall... Tekken is not a game that you wanna rush down your characters in.

If you really wanna be good at Tekken you have to take your sweet ass time, try & read your enemy's moves, crouch high kicks & high punches. Evasion & Parry's work... The thing I like about Tekken is that its probably the only 3D fighter where "Fake outs" can actually Fake the enemy... Hwoarang's Flamingo Stance is a good example, Heihachi also has a very common fake out, and Asuka & Ling Xiaoyu also have unpredictable moves...

Some moves are more useful than others... And I gotta say, if my friends King can beat my Ling Xiaoyu once in a while then King isn't a bad character at all. Not even Marduk is slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom