Tekken 4 vs Soul Calibur 2

Which is better ?

• Soul Calibur 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tekken 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Best answers
Yeah Tekken is popular, and so was Mortal Combat, which isn't saying much.
Look, Soul Calibur 2 IS the better game, hands down, Tekken 4 is all about button mashing, getting your oponent in the air, then punching their feet so they can somehow magicly stay in the air, defying the laws of gravity (yes even polygons should obey this law now and then). If you get two experianced Soul Calibur fighters, the game can be amazing. The blocking system is excellent in SC. Things are more realistic in terms of physics and the gameplay is ten times more fun than any of the Tekken series.

Hwoarang said:
It took me quite a while to master Hwoarang as well, granted he is one of the "easier" characters to master. It's so obvious that Tekken 4 just requires more skill and overall finesse. Most people hate it because they can only get so far with it...
Alright, you have a point. But how's this; I really don't have the patience to have to play a game up to a year for it to be fun. SCII dosn't even take minutes before the fun factor kicks in. The blocking, the counters, the use of actual WEAPONS, instead of charectors with weapons on their back that they somehow forget about or just decide not to use.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
Alright, you have a point. But how's this; I really don't have the patience to have to play a game up to a year for it to be fun. SCII dosn't even take minutes before the fun factor kicks in. The blocking, the counters, the use of actual WEAPONS, instead of charectors with weapons on their back that they somehow forget about or just decide not to use.
That's just it. Tekken 4 is for the devoted fighting game fan. Anyone can pick up Soul Calibur 2 and eventually figure out a winning system. Everyone remember both Soul Calibur 2 and Tekken 4 are made my Namco.

Tekken 4 is the martial art genre.

Soul Calibur 2 is the weapon genre.

It is kind of wrong to compare them based on the fact that Tekken 4 seems to defy gravity... when in the same instances... Soul Calibur 2 does too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you really want a challenge, you could just go to gamefaqs and throw this at the Soul Calibur 2 board. Nobody's really definitely correct here, although I did pick a side, but that's where I'd go if I wanted to fish for the best counter-arguments.

KyoKusanagi

K
Yep - thats true.

To say that all Tekken 4 is completely unrealistic without mentioning Soul Calibur II's quirks isn't fair.

There is far more strange and absurd going ons in Soul Calibur 2 - say for instance the fighting arena suspended in mid air surrounded by the background with not possible way of getting onto the arena since there aren't bridges. See how stupid this arguement is? yes thats because its supposed to be.

Just because the fighters defy gravity when being hit, doesn't make it a bad game - it does make it a less realistic game and if its realism you're after you should be playing UFC Tapout.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Generally they both look the same, but i like the artwork put into Soul Calibur. I dont hate Tekken, but i have no respect for it either. I used to play Tekken 3 all the time with my big brother, always used Forest or Hwoarang because they were so damn easy and their moves were simple. Im not into the whole "takes time and practise" shabang and prefer Soul Calibur II. You can pick it up, play it, develop ways to win, but it is different in Tekken. There are no decent modes like some kind of Story Mode (other than the tournament itself) and all it really has is Arcade. It has a very short lastability. Soul Calibur i liked instantly on the Dreamcast, and was really excited to hear about Soul Calibur II. Heihachi sucks on Soul Calibur II and i hate the PS 2 version because of it. I have yet to play the Xbox version though, so i aint gonna slag that version off just yet. As for the 50 hz TV comment Kyo? I have 2 plasma Hitachi widescreens, so toooooo baaaaaad :\

KyoKusanagi

K
meh, i play on the projectors at uni :D yo ass got SAAAAAAACKED!

why does heihachi suck - im still wondering why.

oh and the story mode in SCII isn't that great - the Soul Blade X one was awesome though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what i was trying to point out was the fact SC at least has a story mode. Besides, thats at uni =0 not in the comfort of your own living room or bedroom. Heihachi sucks because his moves are the same as his moves in Tekken, which unlike Link and Spawn whom moves were designed for. Heihachi in Soul Calibur is nothing special, just eye candy. They shouldve used someone else instead of Heihachi.

KyoKusanagi

K
he's supposed to be no nonsense - and i doubt namco are going to mess with the already harsh moves that heihachi already has in his potent arsenal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im sorry i have to step in here. Soul Calibur 2 players..are calling a game a button masher? dude your game only takes 1 button to do 70% dmg. Dont give me crap that tekken is a button masher use heihachi and try to button mash your way through the game, i guarente u wont make it past the 5th person. the only characters i can see as button mashers in tekken 4 are christy, and hwoarang. these 2 characters can be used quite easily.

anyways tekken and sc2 cant even compare to 3rd strike or cvs2.

3rd strike u got parrying. this seems easy enough but u have to be bale to parry low, high and in the air. also u have to be ready to parry, and cancel directly into a super, which takes speed. u also have 6 buttons. and to string combos together u cant just hit the same button 5 times in a row. you are also dealing with joystick rotations, unlike sc2. if u can do a standing 720 u got skills.

cvs2 u are not only dealing with parrying which is much tighter than 3rd strike, but you are also dealing with just defending, rolliing, dodging, custom combos, roll cancels, kara cancels, and charging. everything i said about 3rd strike is also applied here. 6 different grooves to choose from and each one has an advantage and disadvantage

Best answers
1im4 0wn y0 455 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im sorry i have to step in here. Soul Calibur 2 players..are calling a game a button masher? dude your game only takes 1 button to do 70% dmg. Dont give me crap that tekken is a button masher use heihachi and try to button mash your way through the game, i guarente u wont make it past the 5th person. the only characters i can see as button mashers in tekken 4 are christy, and hwoarang. these 2 characters can be used quite easily.
That would be the point of the extensive blocking system in SC, there are a few cheap characters in SCII, but any experienced player can learn to dodge, counter or block any button masher.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what extensive blocking system? u got side steps and guard impacts, real extensive

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Certain characters also have various counter-moves and dodge-and-attack moves. The defensive system which they don't have would be reverses, which doesn't make much sense in a weapons-based fighters. If you can think of another one that's fighter-standard (in 3-D), please be my guest. Obviously the 2-D fighter genre is going to be more intricate in these things since they've had about a trillion years to develop, and they're working with limited space so they need to cram in as much material as possible. But if you want to argue with people about that, go make another topic, cause I'm not sure anyone here cares.

Guard-impacts pretty much destroy the newbie barrages. The majority of my friends are fairly mashtastic and also try to abuse effective moves or noob-friendly characters like Kilik, but I can pretty much own them 24/7 unless something really unlucky happens.

On the subject of Heihachi in SC, people continually refer to him as "broken" because of the ridiculous amount of damage he can do. He's frequently banned from professional tournaments, although many tournaments don't allow console-exclusive characters anyway.

The Story Mode in SC2 I actually found pretty stupid since the actual STORY was only a rough mirror of SC2's story, so you don't learn anything about who might've defeated Nightmare or what. It did at least give a ton of scenarios, I'll give it that. Story-wise though, both games are very depthful, but Tekken goes to more length with the CG and stuff (SC2 endings are all just retarded drawings and 3 blurbs of text.)

Anyway if you wanna talk about skills and mastering, Virtua Fighter 4:EVO> Tekken 4 and SC2. The problem is that none of your friends will figure out how to play, so it won't be fun. >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes v4:evo is one of the best 3d fighters out there. i got nothing bad to say about that game and i dont even like virtua fighter. that game is one of the most solid and balanced games u will find.

KyoKusanagi

K
I want to find someone who complains about Tekken 4 being slow but liking VF4 - im just waiting for it.

I have the game and although i have absolutely no idea how to play it properly i totally respect the good players at that game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom