Taking a Pole on Programming

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Moved to Coding\Bug Reporting Section

Oh yes, I vote for C++ cause I can't do the rest ;).

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well...I wouldn't want to start a career in coding on flash. Flash is outstanding for animations and has its respective script...but if you're looking into a career in programming, C++ is your best bet from that list. It is one of the most prevalent languages, and is what almost all applications are made from today. Besides that, it's not all too tough, either. I caught onto it pretty well, so that's saying enough as is :)

So...yea, my vote, out of that list, would be C++. It's your best bet.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, you can't really say one is the best, they're all suited for different things, each having advantages and disadvantages. But if you're asking for my favorite, then definately C++.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Flash is mainly for animations and interactive crap, and doesn't necessarily involve tons of coding.

C++ is basically an extension of C, with some standout differences.

The DirectX API (Application Programming Interface) is written primarily in C++, as is OpenGL.

Java is mainly used for web stuff, and it's syntax resembles C++, but not quite.

I'd say start off with C++, it can lead you many places.

Best answers
For game programming you'd want to learn at least an OO language (Java, C++, Delphi, C#, etc), doesn't really matter which one. Java an C# are a lil cleaner and easier to understand because they're not hacked extensions of an old procedural language and they handle the memory managment for you (which cancels out tons of potential bugs). Once you know one OO language, you basicly know them all. For webbased stuff php and Java are pretty decent.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Leeme see:

1st year: C++
2nd year: Java

Yep my school auctally switched me that way. Some of the things are verry cleaned up in Java though. All the 3rd year C++ students are b*tching about how hard the java language is. It seems pretty easy to me.

I want to learn to AMXx code, but that is probally the wierdest type of language and programing I have ever seen.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KilledWithStyle said:
Some of the things are verry cleaned up in Java though. All the 3rd year C++ students are b*tching about how hard the java language is. It seems pretty easy to me.
I was helping a friend with some Java homework and I didn't really find it difficult... It has some differences, but I wouldn't say it's harder. I've only been programming C++ for 2 years too, odd to see 3rd year students *****ing about it...
One thing that pissed me off though is that you had to use the "this" pointer, or whatever the hell they call it in java, to access local class varibles... Something about allocating memory pissed me off too, expecially with arrays...
Maybe it's just because I've never taken a programming class, but what the hell is with calling functions methods? "Lets create a method to add values ---", just sounds like it could get confusing and functions sounds so much cooler ^_^

harSens said:
For webbased stuff php and Java are pretty decent.
If I remember correctly wernt you saying php was one of the sloppiest languages on the earth last team meeting? -_-
Either way, I found php pretty fun... I want to get into it this summer again when I have more free time.

Best answers
Pcjoe said:
One thing that pissed me off though is that you had to use the "this" pointer, or whatever the hell they call it in java, to access local class varibles...
Uhm... no... you don't.

Pcjoe said:
Something about allocating memory pissed me off too, expecially with arrays...
Bleh, why use arrays if you have a whole set of Collections at your disposel :p

Pcjoe said:
Maybe it's just because I've never taken a programming class, but what the hell is with calling functions methods? "Lets create a method to add values ---", just sounds like it could get confusing and functions sounds so much cooler ^_^
I prefer old-skool sub-routine for a 'void' function :p Everything that returns a value is a function as far as I'm concerned.

Pcjoe said:
If I remember correctly wernt you saying php was one of the sloppiest languages on the earth last team meeting? -_-
Either way, I found php pretty fun... I want to get into it this summer again when I have more free time.
Yes it is. But it's easy to create stuff with it (or so I heard) so I guess it serves a purpose.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We dont give a crap about if we call it method or function.

WTF...why do you want to use this when its right there.

Its verry easy to use. Everything is a object, so that makes it verry easy to classify diffrent parts of the program.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just a question, what is c++?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
C++ is a high-level object-oriented programming language based on the C language.
If you know what C is, you can think of C++ as just some new and more efficient features.

Best answers
well i think i willl go with C++
I have learned a little about Flash and Blitz Basics so i know what a varible, function, and an array are so i am off good. Thank you for all your help. And for your info i am a 12 year old kid :DD

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
)V(ajin Mole said:
well i think i willl go with C++
I have learned a little about Flash and Blitz Basics so i know what a varible, function, and an array are so i am off good. Thank you for all your help. And for your info i am a 12 year old kid :DD
No age is too young to start. I'd recommend grabbing a copy of C++ for Dummies from your local bookstore. Very good reference. !_!

Best answers
yeah or C++ 3rd edition by bjarne Stroustrup... its a great book

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmmm Harsens....you are dutch are u? didnt u tell about one very good dutch C++ learning book a time ago? do u know what the title is again >< lol

IN

Best answers
I think you can't say wich lang is better... 'couse they all have it's purpose.
Like Java is mainly used in Web Development and sometimes in other ways becouse it's supported by most platforms.
Flash is not a programming language... ActionScript is :D anyway it's for Web Development too, well you can use it for small 2D games too.
DirectX is not a programming language, it's MicroSofts stuff to provide users and programmers with *easy to use* 3D development environment, it supports Hardware accelerating and all the stuff and user doesn't need to learn assembly and other complicated NVIADIA's or ATI's technologies.
C++ is like C, but it has some new stuff like 'new' instead of malloc ('couse it's bugy and it's the main thing why buffer overfllows occur).
C is old and very popular programming language and I think everyone should learn it (and move to C++ for Higher Level Development).

So good luch choosing what ever you see is best for you! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom