SVN Server

ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I try to set up an SVN server. So far all goes well but still run into some problems.
What did I do step by step.

First installed it and created a name, password and a project repository.
Then try to login on the server by my own computer (the server is on a secondary computer in my house).
When I try to connect to the server it didnt found anything.
Untill I drop my firewall from the server computer.
By now the firewall of the server is back up but dont have any problems there anymore.

But the main problem now is that other people cant connect even when my firewall was down.
I trigger my ports in my router/modem but still nothing.
Could anyone have an idea what this is.
Because my ports are open and firewall on my computer was wide open. I believe everyone should go in there like it was a shopping mall.
But they cant.

I also tryed with svnserve -d but that didnt do anything much eighter.
And at the moment I am out of ideas what it could be.
I have google for it for like 1 and a half day now but what I found I tryed but nothing seems to work.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Not really ESF-related, now is it? :D

You don't need Port Triggering, you need Port Forwarding.

ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Its not esf related but need help on it. And techbench wasnt the right place for asking help :D

This is said with port trigger:

NAT -- Port Triggering Setup
Some applications require that specific ports in the Router's firewall be opened for access by the remote parties. Port Trigger dynamically opens up the 'Open Ports' in the firewall when an application on the LAN initiates a TCP/UDP connection to a remote party using the 'Triggering Ports'. The Router allows the remote party from the WAN side to establish new connections back to the application on the LAN side using the 'Open Ports'. A maximum 32 entries can be configured.

The other option is:

NAT -- Virtual Servers Setup

Virtual Server allows you to direct incoming traffic from WAN side (identified by Protocol and External port) to the Internal server with private IP address on the LAN side. The Internal port is required only if the external port needs to be converted to a different port number used by the server on the LAN side. A maximum 32 entries can be configured.

And strange enough I did both.
Still able to help me?

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Still, better than ESF-related. ^^

Virtual Server is an alternate name for Port Forwarding. This is what you need. You need to forward the correct TCP port (80, presumably) to your secondary computer's IP address. That's all there is to it.
Remove any Port Triggering entries you might have. They won't work and might interfere.

Also, if you're using port 80, make very sure your setup is as secure as it gets. Otherwise, you will be hacked.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Port 443 is the default port for https URLs. Of course, you're free to specify an arbitrary port in the URL, like http://www.example.com:88/
If you think you're up to the task of configuring encryption, it's better, naturally.

ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Well I think thats the point where I have no experiance with encrypted stuff on servers.
Didnt do much on hosting servers infact I believe this is the first server that I host accept for gaming servers.
But if I understood you right then the normal http would be the best then?

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If you don't want to bother with the configuration overhead, yeah. But still, you may want to use an alternate port, somewhere way above 1024. Keep in mind that you don't have to change your internal port.

ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Well I use the normal http:// now and on port 80 to test it out. Still people arent able to log on to it.
And port has open in my router.
Anymore ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom