Super dbz D:

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
I find it hilarious that any Dragonball Z fan could even shun or speak negative about this game after all the constant complaining for years about depth-- wishing we had a solid Dragonball Z Fighter coming our way... how their constantly doing nothing but milking the franchise for all it's worth... and then they seemingly, throw one in our direction and some people act like they forgot what a solid fighter even looks like-- it's almost inconceivable. I guess they"ve been making games with mediocre fighting mechanics for so long, that people have become entirely accustom to it. How some of you here can say it lacks action, speed, or it has bad mechanics is beyond me...and because i can't do anything about it....i guess i"ll have to sadly, develop acceptive skills for other people opinions.
I agree with you completely. People (seem to) want flashy graphics and no substance. None of the Budokai games has had even a half of the depth the combat in the videos show. 'Most' people wouldn't know a good fighting game if it bit them in the ass.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i guess its official then, this game bites ass

what im getting at is, it just seems stupid to take characters and attacks from an anime like DBZ and then to place them into basically a street fighter game.

the 2 styles dont even remotely work together, =\

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They seemed to "work together" in DBZ: Hyper Dimension, arguably one of the most popular and deep DBZ games ever.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that game was also made back when gameplay mechanics like that were considered normal, things have changed since then.

Best answers
nuttzy said:
the 2 styles dont even remotely work together, =\
that game was also made back when gameplay mechanics like that were considered normal, things have changed since then.
As i said in my previous post, they might have changed, but it still doesn't make them bad. Alot of the mechanics made now aren't even all that great anyway. As for the two styles not even remotely working together-- the videos show differently. They really seem to work well together. As Alea said, they worked well in DBZ:HD also. I don't know, maybe for you-- it gives off a different impression because it's in 3-D now, but i still think it's rather obvious that the mechanics their using works well with it.

Best answers
If only this was going to be made for the xbox, or the xbox 360. :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I prefer Tenkaichi, for one reason alone: It seems to "feel" a lot more DBZ than these side-view fighting games. ESF has it right--DBZ needs to be something other than your standard fighting game. While BT and BT2 might not have a lot of depth they are still by far my favorites because the fighting was like it is on DBZ at times; this doesn't look that way at all, if you ask me.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know where you're comming from, I agree this hasnt got all the umph like budokai or tenkaichi games have, however This game is pretty much purely about the gameplay, its a novelty game and I dont think you can really judge how fun it is till you play. I think its gonna be unique and innovational, which is what all dbz gamers have been crying out for. Simply dismissing the possibility that it's a well thought out, fun, playable game because they arent smacking each other half way across the world seems like a bad reason to ignore it to me.

But hey, im a sucker for new dbz games :p

Best answers
i have to agree with people who think the game mechanics for this look amazing, look at the chichi vs 17 match. The fly cancelling crossup alone shows a lot more depth than most other DBZ games. Then the freeza vs piccalo had combo into super into combo off the super for well over half the persons life.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to agree with the fact that this is fastpaced action that is exsciting. The only downside is. Games like this get borring fast (depends on the CPU players skill).

But i must say id choose this over Tenkaichi anyday ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
IMO, this game could be fun. It looks like it's pretty interesting. But, for me, DBZ is all about super over-the-top moves and big explosions and stuff, so this game's nerfed Ki-attacks don't really appeal to me. :x

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks interesting from a gameplay perspective, but I could buy any arcade-style beat-em-up for the beat-em-up gameplay, I buy/play DBZ games for the DBZ experience. It still looks like a lot of fun, but i'd probably feel the same way about it if they invented new characters and techniques.

One thing that it's managed to get right that no other game seems to: chargeable Kamehameha's o/

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The fightings is cool but it lacks th dbz feel that B3 had. They need to add warping and other little things like that. Plus the nerfing of the awesome ki attacks is lame. And having that *** land splitting in the background when you do a super finisher is lame. Also, only having 18 characters is kinda crappy.

Its still going to be 2 or 3 years before they perfect the DBZ look and feel to a game.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
The fightings is cool but it lacks th dbz feel that B3 had. They need to add warping and other little things like that. Plus the nerfing of the awesome ki attacks is lame. And having that *** land splitting in the background when you do a super finisher is lame. Also, only having 18 characters is kinda crappy.

Its still going to be 2 or 3 years before they perfect the DBZ look and feel to a game.
The problem is that "DBZish" and "fighting game" don't mesh well naturally. In DBZ, the fighters were nearly invincible and the fighting games have represented that by having huge, multiple health bars--I like the change back to one normal sized one.

Personally, all the past DBZ games seemed to lack something--maybe it was that characters took beatings for quite some time, especially in Budokai 3 when chars. could have up to 7 bars, plus regeneration, and then they'd just fall over dead.

As for '18 character lameness'--what's far more important is making the characters unique. The Budokai series went way overboard, trying to advertise the quality of the game as translatable to "number of characters." So what do you end up with? A hundred nearly identical characters.

Do you remember seeing identical characters in the classic Street Fighters, Mortal Kombats or Soul Edge/Calibur? Not many, if any.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yup, they have yet to capture the DBZ feel in a video game. I strongly doubt they ever will.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:

That's the thing... it's different.
For better or for worse, we wont know untill we play it.
Untill then it's all assumptions and personal opinions.
Would you buy it if it were very similar to BT2, but with some minor difference?
Dont answer that actually.. point is, anything you probably want will most likely be some changes to BT2 or B3 or even suggesting something similar to ESF.
All DBZ games are close to DBZ in some ways.

For the moment, it's Budokai Tenkaichi.
Super DragonballZ remind's me of the manga, constantly jumping/teleporting away from enemys blasts or melee attempts, returning them with your own.(Not much recharging your ki, something not possible I think actually..)

Not like BT, a few punches&kicks here and there, pause for 2 seconds and hit hard(Way too often), teleport behind them or blast em'.[RECHARGE]
Repeat a couple times [RECHARGE], a few beams there, render your enemy unable to do anything by activating some lame visual attack.[RECHARGE]
Slap your enemy and he becomes a dummy and falls to the ground. You win... and walk off any damage done to you.

Also, I dont think they could've nerfed something they never had.

Damn, I'm bored. -_-

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think this game is great, it followes the manga and it has the perfect style into it.
The fighting may not be too DBZ-ish but it is much more interesting then just punch and kick...

The beams seem a little cheesy but I think thats what they were going for.

Here's the character list if someone is interested:

Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Trunks
Cell
Android #16
Android #17
Android #18
Frieza
Piccolo
Krillin
Chi-Chi
Videl
Cyborg Frieza (which was redesigned by Akira Toriyama himself for this game)
Adult Gohan (Kai outfit + Sword)
Majin Buu (Fat)
Majin Vegeta

Humm, thats about 17 in my list but it was confirmed to have 18 characters.
I'm missing one =P but according to all of my info from screens I never heard/seen the last one.
Looks like we are into a suprise in that part =o

Anyway, it'll be a great game and I'll be getting it for sure along with Tenkaichi 2 ^_^

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well, the combat system might be allright, but the gameplay isnt. Those ki balls move so slow, frieza's rock move is so fake looking, and that deathball he used in one of the videos was realllly small.

There was like no sense of power in this game either, they barely look like they are hitting each other. There should be some big hits, and they should be crashing into those buildings in the background and causing damage all around (get thrown into them as well.). The stronger beams didnt look that great either.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Graphics aren't everything.. In the end, you don't come back to a game for the graphics, otherwise I'd still be playing Tenkaichi. All that matters is that the fighting is interesting, challenging and fun.

Best answers
I personally think that for a fast paced street fighter style beat 'em up they should've perhaps gone with dragonball characters as opposed to Z...surely that'd give you more of an 'authentic experience' as opposed to grounding all these 'powerful' fighters and making them look utterly weak.
I do agree with Tonythetiger though, it hardly looks like they're hitting eachother, I'd rather not see huge attacks, but perhaps they should work on making it look like those hits actually hurt, like attacks in other beat 'em ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom