🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
W/e... tenchars

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or you could tell everyone, which would be more helpful.
Or, maybe Grega only wants a few people to know how to have a 3d skybox in their maps.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But much harder :D

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let me guess... the old system is the env_sky one that SoHL uses.
If so...
All it needs to work is to make the 'sky' of the map, but use the null texture for it, then in another hollowed box, put the env_sky (which should be a env_model-like entity) in it and apply the normal sky texture to the hollowed box.

Right? :D

Oh and it would need some different version of the compilers (probably source compilers, since it's where this thing was hacked from) and the open beta fgd.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No.

The old system is an incredibly large env_model

Its a bug really. Env_models are seen outside the skybox. So if it stretches outside itll still be seen and makes a 3D skybox effect.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LoL... that's like...
I wish I didn't know that now...
I liked being under the impression that SoHL stuff were being used in ESF 1.3.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, we have a different method for 1.3. Don't bother asking, because we won't tell you. :)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea i told you the way you can do it in 1.2

1.3 uses a totally different system thats actually by miles better ^^

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
that looks good! much better than i can do anyway. please keep practising so esf can get more maps!

!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Sub.....

There are no words for that magnificent piece of mapping art you have created. Any other person it'd be complete ****, but because it's from you, it's just amazing. Truely. I wish I had such skill.

Best answers
dude seriously, how do you get your maps to run!!, i made an awesome map. but its too big or something, also i set up hammer 3 sep times. to check and see what i did wrong, read 3 dif manuals and took directions from ppl and i STILL cant get my map to run.

I EVEN TRIED MAKING JUST A BOX well inside the grid, and one peice of land in it. and still. no luck :( EPIC FAIL!!

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

chexs it out ;)

with no water
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt195/kemurikage/ESF/esfbigfish4.jpg
another angle

hidden rooms!

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt195/kemurikage/ESF/esfbigfish6.jpg
more rooms!!

gonna be sweet this is just a prototype by the way. my first try at a map

pour some water on this biat(h

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt195/kemurikage/ESF/esfbigfish2.jpg
this is alot of fun man.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:31 PM ----------

LET ME KNOW IF YOU LIKE ESF_BIGFISH its gonna be bad the f*ck A$$ when im done with it. i might even try and make a giant bone fish now that im getting the hang of the program it might not be to hard. i would only need to draw the head on revolver. ;P THEN NAME IT ESF_DEDFISH!!!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That looks like r_speeds dissaster area

Hope you took preventive :S

Best answers
That looks like r_speeds dissaster area

Hope you took preventive :S
i have no idea what that even means yet ^_^ lolz, but again this is my first try, i have to work today but TOMORROW, BENKYOSHIMASU TO RENSHUSHIMAS!! i will get this MAPPING O WAKARIMA****A TO WATASHI WA JOZU NI SENSHU!! or somthing like that.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is there a limit of solids / faces that I should keep to? Like generally speaking, what would be a good number of solids or faces to try and stay under for an ESF map?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't go by the face readings from Hammer.

GoldSrc is a portal-based engine. In a nutshell, this means that upon compile, the map is broken up into sections, or "nodes" connected by "portals." Based on the player's position in the map, it will be determined what the player can see (if I can see a portal of node 1 from node 2, the render node 1 when I'm standing in node 2), and what the player can't possibly see (because it's obstructed by a wall, etc). Nodes determined to be unseeable by the player are not rendered, and ones that the player can see are rendered (though this isn't always accurate - HINT brushes are a manual fix, but you don't have to worry about that for now.)

So in short, what you're counting is the total number of faces, whereas wpoly and epoly are the number of faces currently being rendered. The limits you've heard to stay within apply to wpoly. They aren't concrete, but they work well for most everyone. You'll hear limits within ranges of 1000 to 1600. I'd personally say to try your best to stay under 1400.

You can't fully rate the map's performance until it's compiled. The software design ideal of "compile early, compile often" also applies to mapping.
Source: http://forum.esforces.com/showpost.php?p=725621&postcount=6

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very interesting and very useful. Thanks MC, I appreciate it.

Best answers
im so confused by this R_speed thing, i dont get it at all...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im so confused by this R_speed thing, i dont get it at all...
Basically its a number that tells you how many faces are rendered on your screen.

But you allso have to know that when you compile a map. Itll get cut up preety badly if you dont prevent it ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom