Square Method?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I recently got back into mapping, though I've lost all creativity at the moment, plus I'm just as clueless about a lot of things as ever. Originally, I had a problem with making terrain out of triangles, unfortunately I still do. So, I decided to download GenSurf to see how the terrain is generated, though it was generated with squares making up the terrain instead of triangles. This seems to be an effective method and one that can cut down on face usage.

I know that with triangles that a lot more could be done in terms of shapes and fluidity. So, should I stick with the square method until I get better at the triangle method?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WEll the only thing with squares is that youll probably be getting more brush errors. Other than that. Go for it :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yea, for instance you can't have 3 sides in different y-axis positions, ok I have no idea what I just said....what I mean is, you can have 2 different hights, so 2 sides should have the same hight, otherwise it forms 2 triangles, but it won't be clipped, so it will result in a error, wait I'm talking no sense, here's a pic:

But if you clip it in the middle you get this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom