Spice up HL2 even more!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
got sick of the old look? completed hl2 but want a more cooler effect? well, try this mini-mini-mod for hl2, it makes the game look even more cooler with HDR-lightning, here are some pics i made to show of the awesome effects
(sorry if the pics are a bit large, i forgot to resize em >.<)

I use the highest settings that you can use in HL2, then i have an average fps of 40, with this mod, my fps decreases to only 39 or something, so it doesnt hurt your fps too much, you just need a good gfx card that can use this mod (shown on the download site)

Download:
http://forum.neotokyohq.com/viewtopic.php?p=6486#6486
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_R8_HDR_Bloom_MiniMod;38224

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Doesnt make it more realistic, but more dreamy.(Like a dreamy world ;o)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, pics two and four look...incrediable, my GFX card probably wudn't support it though.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
these are all the requirments you need:

"This mini-modification requires a video card that can use Vertex & Pixel Shader 2.0."

If your video card can use that, and you can play hl2, then you can play with this mod, and if you dont know if you can use it, just dl and try it

Devion said:
Doesnt make it more realistic, but more dreamy.(Like a dreamy world ;o)
look at pic 3, the buildings in the back look really realistic with these new light effects, atleast more realistic then the normal hl2

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
BTW, this doesn't actually have the full HDR lighting effect. It only simulates the bloom effect of HDR, but that alone still makes it look better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wonder why they didn't have bloom in the game in the first place? Seems like it would've been easy enough, if someone modded it in.

I'll probably get this on principle alone since one of my original gripes with HL2 standard is the lack of cool dynamic lighting effects.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well as you can see, it lights up the game alot and maybe they wanted to make HL2 more dark and sinister instead of light stuff X_x

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nah, Valve's just lazy.. There too busy making meeting's on who there going to uh.. let .. ppl use there engine..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I know they got a lot of criticism for the way Source rendered dynamic light (it's not very different from the way Quake II did it, actually). Every other part of the engine was overhauled into the new millenium, but they didn't do much with the lighting.

Then again there are a lot of areas where dynamic lighting + HL2 water effects would have probably coincided and caused issues.

I don't know about anyone else, but I like this new "bloom" effect trend coming up in all newer games. Gives stuff a...a healthy glow. lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I know they got a lot of criticism for the way Source rendered dynamic light (it's not very different from the way Quake II did it, actually). Every other part of the engine was overhauled into the new millenium, but they didn't do much with the lighting.

Then again there are a lot of areas where dynamic lighting + HL2 water effects would have probably coincided and caused issues.

I don't know about anyone else, but I like this new "bloom" effect trend coming up in all newer games. Gives stuff a...a healthy glow. lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I always wondered why they didn't have High Dynamic Range lighting from the get-go. I mean they even made a video showcasing the HDR effects in hl2, but then when the game came out, they just weren't there for some reason.

Oh well, at least HDR is going to be in it, better late than never I say.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
do you mean with an update? would be neat if they would add real hdr effects, but this lil mod is cool too :p, but most new engines are using the hdr bloom stuff, just look at the upcoming Unreal 3.0 engine, uses hdr lightning too

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
do you mean with an update?
Yes, valve has already announced through a steam update that hl2 will be having complete HDR lighting.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's great news, do you have a source link?

I can't wait for my PC to get back so I can try this out :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good stuff, when it says they're adding HDR for that map, do they mean for that map exclusivley or will they be adding it to the engine so it'll effect the SP campaign as well?

Also, this might be nitpicking, but the thread name says 'Even More', are there other mods like this to spice up HL2?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Good stuff, when it says they're adding HDR for that map, do they mean for that map exclusivley or will they be adding it to the engine so it'll effect the SP campaign as well?
First off, they are going to make that "Lost Coast" level and have it available to download for anyone who can run HDR so everybody can see what it's is going to be like. Then they'll follow that up by actually incorporating HDR lighting into the source engine.

Ravendust said:
Also, this might be nitpicking, but the thread name says 'Even More', are there other mods like this to spice up HL2?
I think that when he said "Even More" he ment that hl2 was already awesome and spicy, and this just made it spicier.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah i ment what hash said, but who knows, there might be more upcoming mods for hl2 that makes the game look better, ah and that update, thats the special map they are making, well i have a 9800XT i wonder if i can get the map, but then again, as soon as the map is released im sure it will be put on the internet by some people so everyone can download the map even if their pc cant handle it :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Hash - Thanks

@Sicron - I'm sure a 9800XT can handle it, people are still running hl2 on Geforce 2's after all. It better, I have an 9800XT too :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Great, I get to bang my head across the floor even more for not having a job (I dont have a copy of HL2, my video card blows, and I dont have internet at home anymore :()

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom