Spice up HL2 even more!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
well i have a 9800XT i wonder if i can get the map
Any direct x 9 card can preform the HDR lighting. The only way that some dx 9 cards won't be able to run it is if valve does FP32 HDR lighting like crytech did in FarCry. Then only 6600/6800 cards could run it. But I seriously doubt that, since valve has a strong partnership with ATI, and besides, FP24 (which is what current ati dx 9 cards can handle) looks just as good as FP32 and crytech is just a bunch of idiots.

Anyways, in short, if you have a dx 9 card, i'm 99% positive you will be able to use HDR lighting.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Auctally I was at the Texas Lan Party where they gave away the first computer with the 512 meg video card(x850), a bull head board, and the case.

But someone asked about the map and they said you would need at minimum a X800 to enjoy the FULL EFFECT that the map could give.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I had more RAM...absolutely....otherwise, my poor machine would explode.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KilledWithStyle said:
But someone asked about the map and they said you would need at minimum a X800 to enjoy the FULL EFFECT that the map could give.
I highly doubt an x800 will be the minimum to yield the full effects of HDR lighting. Of course older cards won't be able to run it as well as the newer x800's and 6800's and such, but they will still be able to run the full effects of HDR, just not at as high as frames.

For example, lets take Far Cry. They have HDR lighting in the game as of v1.3. It can be run on a 6600 gt at 1024x768 with the rest of the settings on very high, and still push over 30 frames. I also believe that the HDR effects in Half-life 2 will be much less taxing on your computer than it was in Far Cry.

Of course this is all speculation, but I really do think that older dx 9 cards will be able to do everything with HDR that the newer cards can. They just obviously won't be able to do it whilst putting out the same frame rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom