Speaking My Mind

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vox is right. The comunity of 12-year olds is long gone.

Just look at the forums. The "Who still plays ESF" thread. Youll see taht 99% of the members of this forum dont play ESF.

The onlyones who still play ESF constantly are the ones atracted to DBZ lime a magnet. A few others to but mostly thats the case.

The members of this forum ARE mature enough to handle a political/religious discussion without starting a flamewar. That was proven 100% in 3 threads so far. 2 political and 1 religious.

Allthough i do get a feeling that what really is the problem is human nature. The majority of humanity is quite simple. I must look good and ill drive someone through the mud to do so. Ofcourse not everyone is like that. But everyone once did prove tehy can hold a discussion without getting into trouble.

I personally just love a good debate where each side trys to proove a point. Thats fun expecially since my way of thinking is philosiphically orientated.

I feel MC is correct when he said that the threads should not be closed directly. But its also up to the comunity to play ball. With that i mean that if someone gets out of line in the thrad you shouldnt just strike back with the excuse "he started it", wich is waht mostly happens, instead you should disregard taht post was ever made and simply report it. If we make our discussions in taht way then im preety sure well see less closed posts.

EDIT: Geez you guys sure post fast. 3 posts since i hit the reply button >.<

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm in agreement with Grega. The days of tit for tat are long gone. The forum will not survive if it's few remaining members choose to behave like petulant children. We're better than that. All of us are better than that.

This very thread is a testament to our maturity.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In my opinion, a Dragonball Z mod forum isn't the correct place to debate religion and politics (although it is fun sometimes). There are other places on the net created specifically for that purpose.

Best answers
So, that's it? You close threads regarding serious topics to prevent anyone's feelings from being hurt? Do you realize that people's feelings are hurt even outside of serious discussions?
Im inclined to agree here. This is a forum on the internet... and like someone said earlier, it has a fairly small active userbase. Stuff happens all the time on the net that offends and pisses people off, its not an uncommon thing. What i dont understand is why its necessary to close a thread to "Shield" people from getting offended. Discussions and offending people go hand in hand usually, and if a discussion gets closed because someone got pissed off they found out Santa doesnt exist, then that defeats the whole purpose of having a discussion.

I know im not really the most intellectual person on this forum, and im sure i dont belong in this discussion in the first place.... but that's my opinion on all of this. Hopefully someone understands what im trying to say...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ Spunky: Then the majority of the forum should just pack up our bags and leave, right? Most of us aren't interested in the subject and the mod has lost interest for most of us. It seems that many people fail to understand that we are here for the community. We like you, we like each other. We want to interact on a large scale with each and every one of you. When 1.3 gets fixed up, we'll surely talk about that, but we have other interests as well.

@ Walmart: If you're on this forum, you belong in this thread. You're one of us and we, as a community, have to come together to figure this thing out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im inclined to agree here. This is a forum on the internet... and like someone said earlier, it has a fairly small active userbase. Stuff happens all the time on the net that offends and pisses people off, its not an uncommon thing. What i dont understand is why its necessary to close a thread to "Shield" people from getting offended. Discussions and offending people go hand in hand usually, and if a discussion gets closed because someone got pissed off they found out Santa doesnt exist, then that defeats the whole purpose of having a discussion.

I know im not really the most intellectual person on this forum, and im sure i dont belong in this discussion in the first place.... but that's my opinion on all of this. Hopefully someone understands what im trying to say...
I think when some people get offended, they are offended too easily or just aren't aware of how to take offense respectfully.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think this forum is perfectly qualified to host deep discussions.

Saying this forum is frequented by n00bish 12 year old DBZ fanatics who can only flame is so wrong in so many ways that I can't begin to count.

I admit our user base isn't completely mature, but it's not as bad as some people think it to be.

Allowing discussion and having proper guidance during these debates will help teach people how to debate properly, without resorting to insults.

Even if the community isn't completely mature, having mature discussions could allow people to grow.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I jsut think they take everything to seriously.

Argument is OK as long as you can keep a cool head. But the only time you loose that cool head is when you take everything personal.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This forum has been here for 6 years now, and not once have I ever seen a truly interesting topic not get bashed by the immature members of the community, ruining it for everyone else. Have they tried reflecting on that? No, as is evident by the continuation of said bashing. I've seen people try to teach such members how to properly debate, but it always ends badly, as the person takes offense, and goes along the old "what, my way isn't good enough?" route, which is no better than a hissy fit.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And how would you have us combat that, Spunky? Eliminating communication altogether? Allowing moderators to assign safe topics or continue posting nonsense threads that no one really cares about?

It's ok to point out why you think we're wrong, but try to help us as well. What can we do to help the community? How can we keep those who would sabotage our goals at bay?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but it always ends badly, as the person takes offense, and goes along the old "what, my way isn't good enough?" route, which is no better than a hissy fit.

But thats only cause the threads get closed. If they got handled difrently by simply punishing the people that step out of line instead of the whole company they would learn faster.

Since the thread just closes and mostly tahts all. They dont carry anything out of that.

On a side note. Anyone notice this thread has acomulated more posts in the last day than the forum had in the whole last week.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Before Grega posted, I was going to say we should simply continue on as we have. But I now believe Grega is right in that we should only punish those who get out of line so they can learn from their mistakes.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In my opinion, a Dragonball Z mod forum isn't the correct place to debate religion and politics (although it is fun sometimes). There are other places on the net created specifically for that purpose.
There were sections made for discussions specifically made for the modification, but there were also sections made for things outside of the modification. Not to mention if you didn't notice the description under the Off-Topic forum, here it is:

Come here to talk about anything NOT related to Earth's Special Forces.
While I do enjoy discussions regarding Dragon Ball Z and ESF, those alone cannot quench my need to talk about something serious and having to do with real life. Besides, if the forum was intended to be solely for ESF, then it should have been made that way.

Don't worry man, I get exactly what you're saying and I'm sure those who care to listen will. Don't worry about being intelligent, I don't consider myself intelligent either. As long as you don't act like a complete troll (which you never do) then you're good to go.

I think when some people get offended, they are offended too easily or just aren't aware of how to take offense respectfully.
That tends to be the case most of the time. That and being one-sided.

This forum has been here for 6 years now, and not once have I ever seen a truly interesting topic not get bashed by the immature members of the community, ruining it for everyone else. Have they tried reflecting on that? No, as is evident by the continuation of said bashing. I've seen people try to teach such members how to properly debate, but it always ends badly, as the person takes offense, and goes along the old "what, my way isn't good enough?" route, which is no better than a hissy fit.
I hate to say it, but if they don't wish to learn, then they are at a loss. While my way of thinking isn't the ultimate way of thinking, I try to get others to think outside of the box. Someone who's opinions are never challenged and always agreed on are stuck in said box. Until someone comes and challenges them, they will be stuck in said box. If they refuse to think outside the box, then once again, they are at a loss.

Before Grega posted, I was going to say we should simply continue on as we have. But I now believe Grega is right in that we should only punish those who get out of line so they can learn from their mistakes.
But then there's the issue of what's considered "out of line".

Damn, either I'm typing too slow or you guys are typing too fast, jeez.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My point is the moderators do not need to close topics because of one or two or even several individuals. That action is far too extreme and only serves to stifle discussion as well as prevent future discussions on similar subjects from being had due to the fear that said individuals will return once more and get that thread closed. Rather than completely obliterate the thread, moderate the individuals and allow the rest to continue discussing the topic at hand and, if they choose to, allow the thread to die of inactivity.
I don't mean to sound aggressive, but my point, here, is that you've completely disregarded what I said previously.

"Moderate the users" is no more acceptable a solution than any other because there simply is no way to keep a person out of a thread short of banning them from the community. At the end of the day, that's the last thing we want to do. If there were some consistent, reliable method of removing from heated threads those people who were steering things in the wrong direction, we'd likely not have stringent rules on what can and cannot pass as a feasible topic. I wish there was more to say here, but there isn't. The user will either continue to cause an issue in the thread(s), or will end up being banned for the sole reason of not knowing when to butt-out. If the latter is really what you claim the user-base wants, then be prepared to see more than a few people removed from the community on the basis of statements made in the heat of the moment (doesn't sound like a great reason, does it?).

MC said:
Maybe the problem isn't the forum members but rather the moderators and administrators. We can't always point the finger at one group of people, no matter how innocent they seem.
I object to the forum staff being treated as though it were a community unto itself (despite the inappropriate and sudden removal of a certain, recent thread - which will be reversed as soon as I can sort a few clerical details out, I hope). The staff, with the exception of the odd team member that has been placed at its head, was drawn from plain-Jane community members over a number of years who seemed to be able to post clearly, have a grasp on being able to construct cogent arguments and complex ideas, and who seemed genuinely interested in keeping the community going without trolls and other disrespectful folks. We're not some distant population that has inherited some god-granted crusade for justice that we will pursue while spitting in the face of logic and reason. If that's the image you're getting, then I apologize, but you've completely missed the point. I might not be as "real" as moderators and administrators in other communities, but that's just me - I do use grossly pedantic and unnecessary vocabulary in daily life, and I do like to portray myself as being someone whose strength is almost solely intellectual, but there's no need to demonize myself or others like me on the staff for carrying that personality into this community. You shouldn't mistake my composure for unfriendliness and stolidness (just ask anyone who tends to contact me via PM, where, unfortunately, most of my fleshed-out discussions end up taking place, save this one. A number of people can vouch for me being approachable).

As for the multiply-restated "fear of banning" - perhaps that's due to the machinations of the staff in the past; I don't know. We were, indeed, a lot more proactive and tough when the community was more booming (circa the early beta days) because the community simply required a firm hand back then. For some of us, old habits are hard to shake. As for myself, a few staff members (including the aforementioned Phobius) will tell you that I take far too long to come to a decision that ends up with someone being banned. Being one of the two people who can be considered the "Head Administrator", knowing that I prefer not to resort to such terribly drastic action should be reassuring, not off-putting.

I suppose what I'm trying to get at is that I'm rather perplexed at where this "fear" is coming from. If it's from some belief that there is a great "war machine of moderation" working behind the scenes to consistently confound every member interested in carrying out discussions as involved as this one is, then that fear is completely off the mark. I will admit that there are some staff members that like to internalize issues more than I would care to (even to the point that some discussion must be kept from the "junior" staff members in order to ensure smooth functioning), but the majority of the active staff members aren't interested in keepings things in the shadows. It may have worked for a different time and a different group, but it's no longer the case, now that the community is largely full of people who are just "hanging around" for the discussion boards, rather than the developmental side of things.

I'm really not quite sure what other reassurance to offer that much of what some of you appear to be "afraid" of is irrational. If the sudden removal of the "What do you miss?" thread was the source of some new "let's undermine the moderators and administrators!" movement (for lack of a better term), then let me assure you that you'll be wasting your effort if you're trying to speak out against a group of people whose actions you are generalizing from those of one person. If you want to know my opinion on the issue of that thread, it is as follows: It was removed from the public eye unnecessarily on the part of someone who made the wrong kind of comment at the wrong time. I neither approve of it, nor do I intend to let it last longer than it takes me to deal with some more pressing issues (med school application, philosophy assignment, behavior modification assignment - you get the picture).

To make an incredibly long post short, I want to restate that I don't find any logic or gain in making sweeping statements about the group of people who, among other things, are trying to ensure that everyone in the community remains respectful. If there are certain people who seem to be putting that tenet behind some other agenda, then don't apply that to every other member of the group. If the fact that I've spent the last good chunk of time constructing this post doesn't make a statement to the extent that the moderation team is actually concerned about the user base in a manner that doesn't involve imposing threats of banning and whatever else in order to shut them up. I agree that the regulations on discussion topics is a bit dated, but it was effective for a time, and that's why it never really got dislodged from its place. That's not an indication that it will hold until the end of time (or this forum - whichever comes first, heh).

*sigh* I think I've been doing this for too long, heh. Almost time to retire.

EDIT:
MC said:
But then there's the issue of what's considered "out of line".
What's out of line is what is disrespectful. Challenging someone to accept a new idea as valid is not out of line. Calling someone's spritual beliefs "stupid" to their face is not good discussion (at best), and is disrespectful (at worst). Insulting a person's character based on their political affiliation falls into that same trap. Do you see where I'm headed?

Best answers
o_O

Vox Dei said the exact same thing Grega just said a few posts back.

Don't worry man, I get exactly what you're saying and I'm sure those who care to listen will. Don't worry about being intelligent, I don't consider myself intelligent either. As long as you don't act like a complete troll (which you never do) then you're good to go.
Heh.. thanks dude. I wasnt too sure, since im not really good at discussions like this.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The line is clearly stated in the rules.

Disrespecting another user. In other words directly asaulting another person for his believes or opinions on a topic.

If you state they are wrong do so with facts. Dont simply go out and say "You are wrong cause i say so" Dont snap at a person. Dont snap at his believes. Even if you try to change what he believes you can easily do so with some rockhard statements. It should be OK as long as you dont directly asault him or what he believes.

Thats how i understand it atleast.

EDIT: outdated post again.

MY how about this then. A group made especially for those out of line users. I believe it can be aranged so that they can not post in a certain part of the forum even if they can still look at it.

If a person steps out of line simply move him to that group for a week or so.

I know its more work. But it could be effective.

Best answers
Im sorry, but i still dont see why we cant make it where if someone is out of line, he just gets banned and the thread continues.

I mean, if the member is out of line in the first place, then he deserves to be banned. It should be him that gets punished, not the rest of the community. The rest of us who remain civil dont deserve to lose the privelage to have a discussion just because someone else is pissy about the topic at hand.

Am I right?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I mean, if the member is out of line in the first place, then he deserves to be banned. It should be him that gets punished, not the rest of the community. The rest of us who remain civil dont deserve to lose the privelage to have a discussion just because someone else is pissy about the topic at hand.

Am I right?
I can't say I agree. I prefer the idea of giving fair warning before taking such an action. Think about it. At one point or another, everyone inevitably steps out of line. Nobody is perfect. None of us would be here right now if such a rule had been introduced when this forum was created.

Oh and I missed it when Vox Dei said it. Sorry.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe the problem isn't the forum members but rather the moderators and administrators. We can't always point the finger at one group of people, no matter how innocent they seem.
This problem lay on both sides, though. There's moderators out there who put themselves on a pedestal, and theres regular members who also put them up there. Want to see how human we are? If you have an IRC client and tend to idle, come join #esf on irc://irc.gamesurge.net. Granted the channel is deader than the forums, there's still chat there from time to time and a few mods idle there still. Approach us, talk to us, get a feel for us to see that when we're not moderating we're human, flaws and all.

There also was a post stating those unhappy with our moderation here should leave. I absolutely loathe that state of mind. We're not so inflexible that we can't be reasoned with. And if you're unhappy with an act of moderation you're always welcome to PM the moderator to reason with them. If you think that the certain mod can't be reasoned with and has made a wrong decision, PM a moderator higher up on the heirarchy.

As for Wal-Marts post regarding banning specific users from threads as opposed to losing the entire discussion for everyone, I like that idea and feel that should be something up for consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom