Some tweaks to 1.3

Best answers
Hello all I've been playing esf 1.2 for quite a while now, and I gotta say I'm surprised how fun it is for a hl1 mod! Anyway I've been chatting with Final Blast, a member of the forums for a few days, mainly about esf1.3. We gathered up some ideas and suggestions on making it better, which may help out. Some quite obious, and yet some you may have not been thinking about.
Anyway, we understand you're using an outdated engine and all, so we wont ask for MAJOR stuff, and just stay low suggesting something possible (still im not oriented in how old it really is, so dont blame me if i accidently ask for something too much of a thing).

▼The first thing we found 'out of place' and that needs do be fixed are the terrain textures. Would it be possible if you guys could edit the textures to make it look better and more detailed? First time I played ESF, about 4 years ago, I didnt know if i were standing on the ground or flying while ingame :shocked: The textures just kept getting bigger and bigger untill its pixels were the size of my mouse!! I saw the same thing in 1.3 on the screenshots, so could you fix this or not?

Fingers! I know it might seem a lot of work, but fingerless models aren't something to be proud of. Thanks to this and the textures mentioned above, the game looks as if its somewhere in between 2009 and 1999.

Unique taunt system? While watching dbz I saw that a major part of the battles are awesome taunts characters make. Could you create a taunting system that's kind of like this:
-If you're close enough to an opponent for a certain time period, your character does an unique taunt, according to your health situation, which character you've picked, and which character the oponent is. Right after that the opponent taunts back at you.

Besides those suggestions, I'd like to ask you if you could keep the transformations as close to anime as possible, kind of like what they were on ESF 1.2? I loved them and feel they should still be in.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If i think of more I'll be sure to tell.
Good luck on your project and take care.:)

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Textures are getting better, don't worry. Take a look at the POTWs.

Fingers = higher poly count = slower game. The game's in 3rd person anyway. You won't miss them.

Taunts would get annoying after a while. However, two characters talking whilst in a fight would be pretty cool but would take a fair amount of work to sort out.

Best answers
hey thanks for replying! :)
I hope you'll be able to do even better on textures, I check out screenshots often, and think the cliff textures are the biggest let down so far in terms of textures, they look annoying. As for fingers: Isn't it possible to do high poly patches? I've seen it done on a lot of games...But I wont force this so much, seing there is more importaint stuff to be done than just adding fingers. I hope you'll be able to sort out the taunts, and let them be a part of this awesome game.

As for transformations, care to answer that one please? I would love to see an updated version of goku turning ssj just like on namek. It should be pure gold :D

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The textures are preety high quality if you considder the engine itself came out in 1996 ^^ and was tweaked a bit till 1998 ^^

Not to mention the ESF models are all scaled down 4 times that makes the textures loose 4 times the quality in terms of a 4 times zoom on them in ESF compared to normal Half Life.

So yea if the game looks somewhere from 1999 toll 2009. Then thats a success. Since the GFX engine is older than 1998 ^^

Best answers
I see. ;) Though I gotta say I'm loving the newest textures so far, the namek ones, if you look at the namek screenshots you can see the style they're done in, and thats in my opinion almost perfect! :D I hope to see more like those on other maps too.

Oh a friend told me to ask you about motion blur and will it be able to be imported with a script of some sort? Also I think you should fix the ''boiling namek'' map since its kind of overflowing with effects..Its just too fiery and too much stuff is falling down. Even though it looks epic, i think it should have a darker sky and bigger but less meteors falling down :)^_^

also Grega OMG are you really from Slovenia? :shocked: :D;D:heart:

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea im from slovenia.

And as far as the "boiling" namek goes. That video was nothing more than a presentation of what the FX script can do. The map is in no way like that.

Best answers
Yea I also wanted to ask about motion blur...A low quality one wouldn't hurt anybody.Sure if you guys have the time and the nerves:smile:to do it..And ssj1-goku you better thank god that esf is in 3rd shooter because if it was in 1rst shooter the textures would divide per 5(due to the extra zooming).Anyway nice work esf-team and consider the motion blur idea:cool:

Last edited:
Best answers
I didn't really see that in ESF 1.2.3 at all... o.o

I meant like normally ingame, if you move around I'd say adding the motion blur to the character's movements instead, like in "Lost Planet:Colonies Edition" :) (2 is being made btw... :D)

Here's a video to get the overall idea for some who didn't play that game: :rolleyes:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pRhA2ye6-8&fmt=22[/ame] Watch in "HD" to get a better view.

Notice how when the character moves, you get motion blur on him, I mean we don't really need to have the entire screen motion blurred,it is after all the HL engine, I don't know if it's possible, but I'm more then satisfied if it's in the movement. :smile:

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Noone said ESF has a lot of it.

But during the "special" comboes in 1.2 you get some motion blur on the characters. Not really enough to be to noticeable or to affect FPS though.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Noone said ESF has a lot of it.

But during the "special" comboes in 1.2 you get some motion blur on the characters. Not really enough to be to noticeable or to affect FPS though.
yep
but the way joe implemented it is kinda funny xD, if you move fast you get many "after images" behind you. but it works really nice also for the powerup.

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
What about motion blur? So far I know there's bloom, I even tested it myself.
How did you test bloom yourself if you're not part of the team, or a tester?

Best answers
Blooming was made last year if I remember, I happen to find it on the internet, it's said to ban you on steam, but I've been using it for a month now and no problems! :rolleyes:

a vid I made to prove it: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t_B8-6ANN0&fnt=18[/ame]

http://madabouthats.org/projects/cgshader <--- The bloom shader. (I had no sound in my video, so I added my own)

Last edited:
NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those shaders sure kill FPS...

Best answers
Strange, it didn't kill to me, you can increase/decrease with F1, I set mine on 3 out of 10 otherwise it would kinda lag, but no it won't lag as much if you just tap it once :p
It's kind of too bright I know, I wonder if we could edit it somehow but I don't know much about .cg + there's some .dlls

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom