So tempted to...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm actually quite impressed at the lack of fanboyism in this thread.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm actually quite impressed at the lack of fanboyism in this thread.
It would be mostly uncalled for. Its the most "superior" console of this gen- but you can beat its 5 good games over the course of a month. Then go watch a bluray. (Probably through component/composite cable as well mind you)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rumor has it that Sony is 'working' on a backwards compatibility patch for the PS2. Makes sense, means only more revenue for them on the PSN. Then again, it is a rumor.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've heard that rumor as well. Though the way I heard it was that the back compatability may only be for games puchased over PSN, and not for physical ps2 discs you might already have.

I've got a backwards compatible 80gig version, but some games still don't work.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If you have an HDTV, the Blu-Ray is great especially for action movies/movies with lots of special effects. There is also a great lineup of exclusives.

Current Games (there are more, these are just based off what I have in my collection.)
- Ratchet & Clank Series
- Uncharted 1 & 2
- Killzone 2
- Resistance 2
- Warhawk
- Demon's Souls (this **** is harrrrd)
- Infamous
- LittleBigPlanet
- Metal Gear Solid 4

And upcoming exculsives to look out for:
- God of War III
- Heavy Rain
- Gran Turismo 5
- The Last Guardian (from the creator of Shadow of The Colossus and Ico)
- ModNation Racers (like LBP, but racing)
- White Knight Chronicles
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII
- Final Fantasy XIV
Great, I have most of the games you listed there. Demon Souls actually reminds me of Ico, how the atmosphere was. In Demon Souls, there's no type of guidance at all, and you're pretty much left alone to fend for yourself. I like how some of the animals are interactive, like the two large dragons chilling on a mountain top in the distance, within the first stage.

Uncharted 1, is a good game with flaws, MGS4 is great, LittleBigPlanet is hysterical, an excellent to play with friends, it's very innovative and creative. Infamous is decent and slightly repetitive, I have both RS and KZ 2, however, I haven't gotten around to playing them seriously. I still have not played any of the Ratchet & Clanks yet for the PS3, although I have played and completed many of the PS2, iterations. I also have Heavenly Sword which is fairly average.

Getting an HDMI cable for the PS3 is no joke, the visuals are far more noticeable in 1080p.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Trust me, as soon as Sony adds the stuff to the firmware so that you can play PS2 games, it means the PSN games will probably formatted in pretty much the same way as the original disc-based games (except the container might be different), I am sure some homebrew-makers will crack the firmware to allow disc-based games to play as well.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
blu-ray player+game console=yes

I have all 3 of the consoles and I play the PS3 the most out of all of them. 360 gets a lot of screen time, but I only play Brawl and a rent here and there on my disappointing Wii :(

I actually *do* use the multimedia features on the PS3. I transfer my animations on it so I can play them on an HDTV, and I stick an SD card in to display pictures of family gatherings (pictures look wonderful on the PS3).

It also upscales regular DVDs, and since I have the original 60gb one, it upscales PS2/PS1 games as well. If you use a wired connection, you can play your PSP games online (instead of just ad-hoc with someone next to you) using a Japanese account.

Warhawk is probably one of the most fun and addicting games I've ever played. It's online only, but I highly highly suggest you get it. Uncharted is pretty epic as well. I enjoyed LittleBigPlanet, but I do not have time to sit there and create levels, so I returned it. You can mess around and complete official and custom levels either with a friend or someone online.

A lot of games are multi console, so based on game library, I could see why someone would just stick with a 360 if they had one. But, again, it supports the blu-ray format which can hold much more data than dvds.

Even when the PS3 first came out, I don't know why people are surprised that a multi media gaming machine AND a blu-ray player costs more than an xbox >_>. People loved the PS2, but once they saw the PS3's price tag, everyone went "lol ps3 sux"

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DO IT! I only have one game for the PS3 right now, but it's still a great system. If you happen to get the PS3, MGS4 is a MUST BUY!

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Lolz wut a question. Get a PS3 and play God of War. The violence in that game is just orgasmic.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm really not happy with my xbox360, wish I bought a ps3 instead.

GT5 looks very promising.
While waiting you could always get GRID for 360. I would have to say that is my favorite racing game right after GT2.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Getting an HDMI cable for the PS3 is no joke, the visuals are far more noticeable in 1080p.
Sorry to burst your bubble friend, but the ps3 runs most of it's games (all of the AAA titles) at 720p not 1080, which is this big for those wondering...

HD indeed...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jesus Wheres_ stop *****ing about. At least the PS3 HAS the capability to play 1080p games (Gran Turismo 5 anyone?). And the capability to play 1080p movies/trailers. So yeah, you do want to get that HDMI cable, even if it is for lowly 720p games.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So did you get one davey? ;o

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So did you get one davey? ;o
Since people took their time, I went out and bought one XD
:p

Enjoying your purchase, Dave? I haven't been able to justify either the 360 or the PS3 for myself. There's too little in there that I like that's not already on the PC, so I'll have to live vicariously through you and the other PS3 owners around, hah.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh, uh I fail at reading.

How is it?!

Best answers
The PS3 is a really good console, and has some very good exclusives such as Uncharted 2 and MGS4. However, it doesn't really have all that many games worth having when you buy the few good exclusives and the online is horrible, I think.

If you're in it for teh graficks, get a high-end PC and enjoy the pretty. While it may cost more, it has much moar grakfisc than the PS3. Which is also expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom