So I Watched Football Today

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still think soccer is only exciting to watch when one team is predominantly better than the other. The freedom to pass and rush lends to some really awesome plays. Sadly, the game is very stunted when both teams are equally skillful. Its like a tug of war where nobody budges, the only thing that makes it a game is of endurance - that eventual chance of who slips first, which even then may not happen and the game is drawn.

AFL on the other hand, is tenfold more exciting when both teams are equally skilled, while at the same time a match with a significantly lesser team still offers some exceptional football. These sorts of matches tend to be more for the opportunity to sledge the losing team for their deplorable play.
Since scoring is easier in AFL (we have goals and points and a wider target area), the scoreboard essentially registers how many times a team slipped, and how efficient the other team were at tallying such a score (goals vs points). That being said, defending the goal-square isnt an impossible feat. I think this dynamic scoreboard keeps the energy up, for the players and the fans. Soccer should learn from this and adapt. Wont hold my breath though :p
Calling a game football where 90% of the time players are carrying it with their hands is blasphemy. Then again american football is nothing more than a protected version of rugby with a couple of rule changes.

Bravo. If you can not see the excitement in an equal match with players facing each other over and over to win supremacy over the ball and field then your views are clouded. The good plays you mentioned are nothing but icing on the cake.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If Brazil and Portugal are considered good, then I'm inclined to go with Ky on this one. That match was utter ****e. I haven't seen such overall ****ty playing since I watched my local football team. At least THEY could SCORE occasionally.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say it's a show of equal strength of two teams who are amongst the greatest of the world, can't put a ball in each other's goals. Playing a good game does not always warrant a goal. It's something a lot of non-fans seem to misunderstand. For a fan, it's not just about the goals.

Why I bothered to type that, I don't know...the entire argument is completely pointless. There really won't be anybody who'll have an epiphany after this and suddenly become the world's greatest football fan.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Calling a game football where 90% of the time players are carrying it with their hands is blasphemy. Then again american football is nothing more than a protected version of rugby with a couple of rule changes.

Bravo. If you can not see the excitement in an equal match with players facing each other over and over to win supremacy over the ball and field then your views are clouded. The good plays you mentioned are nothing but icing on the cake.
Totally agree with you on this one.

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Why I bothered to type that, I don't know...the entire argument is completely pointless. There really won't be anybody who'll have an epiphany after this and suddenly become the world's greatest football fan.
That generally goes for all (internet) arguments,
like how the USA is better than Europe (or the other way around), or why we all should believe in god(or not), or why people prefer cookies over cake, all those discussions are useless.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, but it's hard not to defend a sport I love so much, when there's people making uneducated statements about it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I played football for 7 years, I know what is and what is not good football. That game was utter ****e.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wasn't talking about you, sugarbuns.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, but it's hard not to defend a sport I love so much, when there's people making uneducated statements about it.
Soccer sucks and Origin is a whore.

The game has probably happened already, but apparently there's an octopus that correctly predicts games. It said Germany would beat somebody or win the world cup or I dunno. I want Germany to lose now so that octopus can be proved wrong!

Best answers
check here for my opinion, which i share with mr John Cleese

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Clearly, this time it was Brazil that was high, rather than Holland. Which is strange.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh didnt expect that outcome thats for sure. Better luck for brasil next time and lets see how holland does in the remaining games :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We're playing Uruguay.

What a sad, strange game I just watched. Unbelievable.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This was...unexpected, I never imagined Holland defeating the Brazilians. Should be interesting to see what happens now. We should easily be able to win against Uruguay, but the other side still has 3 of the best teams left, Germany, Argentina and Spain. It would be nice to have a Germany - Holland match in the end, every German guy would go mad. :p They pretty much 'hate' us when it comes to soccer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really, really would not underestimate Uruguay. Although it helps that Suarez got a red card.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Argentina just got owned.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hard. I'm impressed by Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom