smith i need you D: i killed my pc!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i really dont know how i did it, but the cpu fan on my pc decided to make a rather loud buzz sound, and then clunked. so i shut down my pc, removed the heatsink/fan, replaced with a new one. added a small amount of gunk (i use arctic silver), and hit the power on button....

then nothing. monitor doesnt even kick in, i know its getting a signal, as the "cannot recieve signal" message dissapears once i plug the monitor into the graphics card.

the monitor just stays on standby mode (orange light, not green).

any suggestions? ive checked numerous times that everything is still plugged in properly. but it doesnt hurt to get more suggestions :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Make sure the "gunk" isn't touching anything off of the processor as it's conductive, I believe. Did you remove the old "gunk"? Also, make sure the fan for your processor is plugged in.

When you turn it on, do the fans move at all?

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
i really dont know how i did it, but the cpu fan on my pc decided to make a rather loud buzz sound, and then clunked. so i shut down my pc, removed the heatsink/fan, replaced with a new one. added a small amount of gunk (i use arctic silver), and hit the power on button....

then nothing. monitor doesnt even kick in, i know its getting a signal, as the "cannot recieve signal" message dissapears once i plug the monitor into the graphics card.

the monitor just stays on standby mode (orange light, not green).

any suggestions? ive checked numerous times that everything is still plugged in properly. but it doesnt hurt to get more suggestions :)
What did you mean with " cpu fan on my pc decided to make a rather loud buzz sound, and then clunked".

And the gunk is cooling pasta :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know what the gunk is, just can't think of the word to describe it =P. I know of some cases where people put it in the wrong places and it shorts the mobo out until they clean it off.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
That "gunk" is "thermal paste".

And don't whore too much of it, otherwise it causes problems. lol

I sanded the bottom of my heatsink to get it perfectly flat before I applied mine. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahh, that's right. Thanks, Kurt. But yea, as I've said before, don't let it spread anywhere other than the processor as it will short out the mobo and won't let you boot.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Kurt said:
That "gunk" is "thermal paste".

And don't whore too much of it, otherwise it causes problems. lol

I sanded the bottom of my heatsink to get it perfectly flat before I applied mine. :p
I literaly translated from Dutch.(Koelings pasta :p)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"then nothing. monitor doesnt even kick in, i know its getting a signal, as the "cannot recieve signal" message dissapears once i plug the monitor into the graphics card."

If you plug a monitor into a videocard thats not even attached to a mobo that message will go away.

Anyway...I have had some experience with frying mobos [im on my 3rd since last year]. I know if everything is plugged in correctly and the computer doesn't respond on startup that something is wrong. If the thermal paste shorted out the board, then your not going to be happy :D.

Your best bet is to go have it looked at, a tech should be able to spot a shortage with a simple test, and they shouldn't charge you anything either. The downside is, there isn't much you can do with the shorted board, but throw it in the trash.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Enix said:
"then nothing. monitor doesnt even kick in, i know its getting a signal, as the "cannot recieve signal" message dissapears once i plug the monitor into the graphics card."

If you plug a monitor into a videocard thats not even attached to a mobo that message will go away.

Anyway...I have had some experience with frying mobos [im on my 3rd since last year]. I know if everything is plugged in correctly and the computer doesn't respond on startup that something is wrong. If the thermal paste shorted out the board, then your not going to be happy :D.

Your best bet is to go have it looked at, a tech should be able to spot a shortage with a simple test, and they shouldn't charge you anything either. The downside is, there isn't much you can do with the shorted board, but throw it in the trash.
It's only a temp. short and can be fixed just be cleaning up the thermal paste.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
funny this happened after a lengthy discussion between us on aim about how MY fan was messing up and what i could do to fix it. something creepy is goin on :scared:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you didn't get the artic silver all over your cpu did you ? you just put some on the core , but not to much

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i know how to apply gunk :p

yeah i removed the old gunk, ive taken out the cpu, cleaned it up rather thoroughly, reapplied the gunk, the fans spin, the lights come on, it makes the "beep! im turned on now!", but the monitor doesnt regester still >_>

i wish i had another GPU to test on it >;E

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if it's all over your cpu then it's gonna look like anow eventually , that's why i said that.

anywho , have you tried setting different irqs , does ur screen still show your boot up info ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try clearing your BIOS. Check your mobo manual for the right switch to use, or just unplug your computer and take out the little battery for a few seconds and then put it back in, plug your computer in, then turn it back on.

And look around for a crappy video card to test and make sure that's not the problem, let's hope it's not.

SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
anywho , have you tried setting different irqs , does ur screen still show your boot up info ?
Mad_Axman said:
but the monitor doesnt regester still >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i took it to a friends house, the cpu is fine. the bios is corrupt. so im gonna attempt a hot flush. if that doesnt work, ill just buy a new mobo.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
There is more non-standard terminology being used in this thread than anywhere else I have ever seen in my life, and it's not helping anyone. lol.

I'm sure you already googled how to do it, but just in case you haven't...

http://forums.livingwithstyle.com/t149181-tutorial:-bios-flushing.html

It takes like 30 seconds to do, it's not really a big deal.

"(At this point attach the static cord if you have one)." <-- except for that part, lewl

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i know how to reset the bios kurt :p

im talking about the OTHER type of flushing (that requires 2 identical motherboards, and the removal of bios chips D: )

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
There is more non-standard terminology being used in this thread than anywhere else I have ever seen in my life, and it's not helping anyone. lol.

I'm sure you already googled how to do it, but just in case you haven't...

http://forums.livingwithstyle.com/t149181-tutorial:-bios-flushing.html

It takes like 30 seconds to do, it's not really a big deal.

"(At this point attach the static cord if you have one)." <-- except for that part, lewl
Isn't that... my post basically? You only have to remove the battery o_O.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
as i said, i already know how to flush the bios >_>

anyway, i tried hotflushing, and it still didnt work. so im gonna save up for a new mobo. and in the meantime, im gonna rape my parents slow assed pc D:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok this works about 100% of the time about 80% of the time. Unhoock everything and rebuild it up. Disconnect all the ram, cpu and mobo, harddrive and fans and redo it all again. Time consuming yes but it will save you money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom