Skinning problem..

Best answers
Okay.. here's the deal..

Because of the lack of good Gohan models out there,*coughonlycrappyonescough*, i wanted to use Smo's mystic Gohan model for ESF 1.2..

Problem is though, that the second version (as you can allready guess) has the same hair color and everything as the normal sj version.. :S
Now i've heard that it's possible to do a relatively easy skin edit of a model, so i could change the hair to yellow SSJ hair..
The problem: how? o_O

Can i do that with paint? Do i need some other program? How exactly can i do it and could somebody walk me through?
Also, is it allowed to do an edit like that for personal use only or should i ask permission from the modeller/skinner?

Thanks in advance.. :]

Best answers
Personal Use only

Well its pretty simple, use milkshape to decompile the model

Open up the textures and find the yellow bit which is the hair

Just paint over it and save

Recompile and ta-da!

Best answers
Great... thnx alot.. :D

Next problem.. :S

When i'm in paint, and try to select yellow.. it gives me pinkish.. skin color like..

I've tried everything, from redefining the colors with that lil' spectrum thingie, but it stays pink..
Like you might have allready noticed, i'm a complete noob at this.. help plz.. o_O

Best answers
The best choice you have is use photoshop. You need to convert the image mode into RGB. Though i don`t know if paint can do that, but even so, if you would edit the skin in paint, you should make every little detail (every pixel) to make it look good, but with photoshop, you could make it in a few seconds.

Best answers
RastaDude said:
The best choice you have is use photoshop. You need to convert the image mode into RGB. Though i don`t know if paint can do that, but even so, if you would edit the skin in paint, you should make every little detail (every pixel) to make it look good, but with photoshop, you could make it in a few seconds.
Convert the file to RGB? Why? And do i need to convert it back again when i recompile the model? Can i get photoshop for free somewhere?
And about making it in a matter of seconds.. do i need to know how photoshop works? Or is it really simple to do..?
Remember.. uber noob here.. :p

Best answers
Sentient said:
Convert the file to RGB? Why? And do i need to convert it back again when i recompile the model? Can i get photoshop for free somewhere?
And about making it in a matter of seconds.. do i need to know how photoshop works? Or is it really simple to do..?
Remember.. uber noob here.. :p
It is really simple to do, and no photoshop is not free , you'll have to purchase it or get it from a friend.
Once you do that, I'll further instruct you on how.

Best answers
Aah.. okay... i'll ask my friends if they have photoshop.. (not to my knowledge..)
And my budget won't allow me to purchase anything anytime soon.. (student life sucks)

In the meantime.. any suggestions on how to do it with paint?

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
lol, decompile the model? wtf ...
the easiest way:
open the model in halflife modeviever (http://www.wunderboy.org/3d_games/utils/hlmv.php), export the texture as .bmp, open the textures in a graphic programm (i.e. paint shop pro, good and not expensive, also trial version out there http://jascsoftware.com/products/paintshoppro/psptrialreg.asp)
edit the textures then, save themas bmp again (256 colors!) and import them back in HLMV into the model... then save the model
done ^^

quite easy eh? ^^

Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
lol, decompile the model? wtf ...
the easiest way:
open the model in halflife modeviever (http://www.wunderboy.org/3d_games/utils/hlmv.php), export the texture as .bmp, open the textures in a graphic programm (i.e. paint shop pro, good and not expensive, also trial version out there http://jascsoftware.com/products/paintshoppro/psptrialreg.asp)
edit the textures then, save themas bmp again (256 colors!) and import them back in HLMV into the model... then save the model
done ^^

quite easy eh? ^^
Yes it is, that was allready explained to me.. thnx for the trial version referral though.. but this is not my problem...

I can't get the color yellow in either paint or paintshop pro..
When i select yellow it automatically turns in skincolor pink..
Aaarrgghh!!! :cry:

Can somebody help? Like does somebody has any idea why i can't select yellow??

*EDIT*
Photoshop isn't much better.. same problem.. what the h*ll am i doing wrong..?

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Sentient said:
Yes it is, that was allready explained to me.. thnx for the trial version referral though.. but this is not my problem...

I can't get the color yellow in either paint or paintshop pro..
When i select yellow it automatically turns in skincolor pink..
Aaarrgghh!!! :cry:

Can somebody help? Like does somebody has any idea why i can't select yellow??

*EDIT*
Photoshop isn't much better.. same problem.. what the h*ll am i doing wrong..?
The image is in indexed mode.

Go to photoshop, open image.

Image -> Mode -> RGB color.

After you succesfully edited it goto.

Image -> Mode -> Indexed color.

And you're done :F

Best answers
Devion said:
The image is in indexed mode.

Go to photoshop, open image.

Image -> Mode -> RGB color.

After you succesfully edited it goto.

Image -> Mode -> Indexed color.

And you're done :F

*Sigh of relief*

Yes.. that's it.. you da man.. ;)

Now.. anyone any suggestions on what would be the best approach (in photoshop) to recolor hair..? Redoing every pixel? (Cuz that's the only way i really know about right now..)
Something else..?
There are lines in the hair that are there to define the different strands of hair, and i really wanna keep those.. cuz otherwise it would be one big yellow wig thing... Recolor the lines in white or bright yellow, and the rest of the hair darker yellow..? o_O

Comments and suggestions are welcome people.. thnx for the help sofar..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom