Semi-random ping spikes are IRKING ME

Best answers
For the past two months I have been getting pretty random and rediculous ping spikes...I'm talking from the 40-50 range up into the 400-700 range. When it spikes, it is almost always when I am radiply pressing keys(i.e. during melee), and only spikes for a couple seconds, but it is making it impossible for me to melee at all. It really only happens during the day, at night it pretty much never happens. I use XP Pro, there are no applications/processed other than what is necessary to have XP run, all other PCs on the network are shut off, I even look at my network status and record packet info, when I have no games/downloads going it's only 1 packet per second to the router, NOTHING else.

I do use cable, so it might be area usage, but it only happens during the day so I don't know. From what I can tell the problem is with either the ISP, WON(it doesn't happen in non-HL games), or I POSSIBLY have some kind of virus deep in my system(but I have already reformatted to try to solve this).

I am at the end of my rope, and am close to getting another broadband provider. Any other ideas before I ditch Comcast?

Best answers
how often do you get these spikes? do you mean everytime you press buttons fast, or just every now and then? Because the same thing happens to me, but im on 56k so its explainable. Even so, i wouldnt blame it on the broadband provider, i think its probably something to do with your computer. Try turning the grafix down or something, but then again, that wouldnt only happen during the day, and Half-life isnt exactly a taxing game on your system. Either that, or it IS area usage or something, caus that probably would happen only at certain times...

those are the only things i can suggest...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
check your bandwidth here
check your "rate xxxx" in your config.cfg (DSL ~ 7500)
DL a XP tweaker and disable "XP-calling-home"

but if this only happens during day I think it's your connection ... that you're not the only only who uses it ... if anyone sends and uses much upload, you're effected by 1000% ... I don't know why this happens more if you're doing more in the game (especially melee), but this happend to me, too ... everytimes anyonein my house turned on KaZaA my ping increase a lot (especially during these things)

maybe your connection point has reached his limit every day ... try to call your provider and tell him that the connection you pay for isn't the one you wanted ;) ... be sure, that is isn't your (houses) fault !!! ... if anyone in your house is on same connection like you, try to turn his power off ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom