Security's computer

Best answers
hey, Along time ago I decided to build my computer, I threw a P4 3.0ghz, Sapphire Radeon X300, PCIe mobo, and all the other goods, but sadly i ran out of money before i could get an OS. That brings me to my question, I want to run XP home on my compy but im not sure if i should get OEM, does this look good to you guys? www.monarchcomputers.com

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Surely one of your friends has an XP disk leftover from their computers. I think I own 2 copies of the damn thing. See if you can just borrow one of thiers for a day to get your computer up and running. I mean, why spend $90 if you dont have to?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Surely one of your friends has an XP disk leftover from their computers. I think I own 2 copies of the damn thing. See if you can just borrow one of thiers for a day to get your computer up and running. I mean, why spend $90 if you dont have to?
"Why pay when you can steal?"

Please don't advocate piracy.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:

Well it's basicly "free" if you send them the copy of the "illegal" version of it to them. They'll send you some papers and they'll give you a free full version of it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let's not talk about pirating operating systems. -_-

If you want an OS for free, find a good Linux distro.

Otherwise if you need Windows and that's the cheapest you can find it, then go for it. It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess mates come in handy for borrowing some CA$H, so do family ;).

Get home as you don't want to be to strapped for money, & legal copies are now the way as you see that microsoft as the legal advantage stuff now for some windows updates (no updates for you warez bludgers =P).

Best answers
I would get a copy of xp from my friends but no one has one, i already checked all of my friends, they have the copies that come with their computers, meaning that those cd's are made to work only on a specific computer. So I have to spend the $80 then, if you guys think that its okay.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fine by me :).

Get home as you don't want to be to strapped for money, & legal copies are now the way as you see that microsoft as the legal advantage stuff now for some windows updates (no updates for you warez bludgers =P).
Easy ways around that ;).

Best answers
So just go for home edition? Thats what i was going to do anyway, so it works out for me. But I cant decide between OEM version or Retail version. OEM version cannot be taken back, and i might need to so should I spend the extra $10 for Retail version just in case if it doesnt work, and i need to take it back?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go ahead and aim for the retail, shouldn't hurt.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:

Sorry, I didnt know that was piracy. So if I decide to make a computer down the road, I need to buy my own XP again (as it would then be the same copy on two computers) to stay within the law? Thats pretty ***, but okay. I just think its silly how this works sometimes. For example, there is no legal way to put music on iPods in Australia, but the police dont come knocking on your door if you buy one.

Anyway, I hope you dont break the bank with your XP.

Comprendo.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
She isn't dictating your life, only asking you to keep the discussion of piracy out of the thread. You're free to do anything outside of the forums in your own time.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Technically, one copy of Windows XP is only allowed to be on one computer, period. It's kinda lame if you ask me. A couple years ago when i upgraded my motherboard, ram and case, i had to call Microsoft to verify my cd key. (Reached the maximum installs for my key) They wouldn't give me the code to validate windows because i said i upgraded the tower.. yep.. the tower! So i hung up, called back and said i needed to validate my cd key for my computer, told them this time i didn't upgrade anything. Wallah.

As far as advice, find a Windows 98 cd or something if you're looking for an OS, if you have the cash, buy XP Professional, OEM won't do you any harm either.

Best answers
FreeDoM said:
buy XP Professional, OEM won't do you any harm either.
I would get the OEM version but thats non refundable and i might need to take it back. And why should i spend the extra 100 dollars on Professional? (why is it so much better than Home edition?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom